Week 11 (Division VI, Region 21): #16 Columbiana (5-5) at #1 Kirtland (9-1)

Kirtland4580

I won’t play coy about the fact that the Hornets, like every other #1 seed this Friday, are overwhelming favorites. However, one of the things I enjoy most about this time of year is sharing & learning each team’s story, whether it’s a story about just this season or a story that has continued to unfold over several years.

For instance, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bob Spaite is still the head coach of the Columbiana Clippers & has to have held the same position for at least the last 25 seasons, maybe even 30. That is truly remarkable both from a loyalty and longevity standpoint! He’s had a few teams that went on some mini-runs in years past, nearly winning a couple regional titles.

The only time that these two teams squared off was in a 2011 Regional Quarterfinal (when it was the first round). I remember the game (at least the first half of it) distinctly in that Kirtland drove down the field & scored on its opening drive & got the conversion. Then, Columbiana broke off a huge kick return before plunging in for a score & a conversion to tie it at 8-8. It stayed an 8-8 tie at the end of the 1st quarter before some costly Clippers turnovers & Kirtland ground & pound led to a Hornets 49-8 win.

While 2011 was played on the muddy grass, this year it will be played on Kirtland’s new turf; marking the Hornets’ first playoff game since changing field surfaces & re-constructing some elements of its stadium (such as the new visiting bleachers/press box that the Clippers faithful will be able to take advantage of).

Another thing that is a feel-good story for Columbiana is that they began this season 0-4 before turning things around & finishing 5-5. I don’t know how senior-laden they are, but it is always a good thing for underclassmen to finish the regular season strong. If they treat it right, they can use it for off-season momentum whenever their season comes to an end.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Clippers play with nothing to lose & have a few tricks up their sleeves. They played Kirtland tough to start in 2011 & the Hornets have had a few first round games give them fits in the past (Sandy Valley in 2019 comes to mind).

Looking forward to the start of another season of playoff football. If anyone from Columbiana or the surrounding area is seeking suggestions about pre-game stops, I’d be happy to help!

Good post! Coach Spaite is much like Tiger, he loves his players and his players love him!
Coach came to Columbiana in 1994 and was hired very late in the summer. Most expected us to be about 5-5 but he led us to a 10-0 season and a 1 point regional championship loss. He has had numerous teams get to the regional championships and had some close games to really good Mogadore teams.

Coach hired me on his staff after I graduated high school and it was one of the reasons I became a teacher and still coach today. He taught me how to game plan and I still use his method all these years later even though I havent coached for him in 24 years. Furthermore, he still came to my wedding many years after playing for him. Im sure Tiger similarly will be attending weddings of his players for many years.

Coach Spaite is the most fiery, intense coach (but also positive) that I have ever been around. His pre-game speeches are second to none. I still think back to his pre-game speeches at times when I hit a difficult time. DSA

Kirtland hasn’t had a team challenge them since their loss to Perry weeks ago. I don’t expect anyone in Region 21 to give them problems since aside from the Hornets, it is pretty weak. Perhaps, someone like Garaway could give them a tough game in the State semis. Otherwise, they look destined to meet Versailles again for the title

Coach Spaite is a good man. He's been doing it for a very long time. This game, unfortunately, won't be close. But, they will get the experience of going toe to toe with one of the best. As you point out, 0-4 start and 5-1 since. It speaks to the schedule but also the belief and passion that the Clippers play with.

Kirtland hasn’t had a team challenge them since their loss to Perry weeks ago. I don’t expect anyone in Region 21 to give them problems since aside from the Hornets, it is pretty weak. Perhaps, someone like Garaway could give them a tough game in the State semis. Otherwise, they look destined to meet Versailles again for the title
Kirtland should win the region. By far the best team in R21 this year. They were tested by a good Dalton team early and Perry beat them in the trenches which we don’t say that a lot. Garaway has always played the Hornets tough but let’s not look too far ahead yet. Hopefully Perry and Kirtland can bring a couple titles home to lake county!

I expect a strong showing from Kirtland to start their playoff run. Something like:

Kirtland 35
Columbiana 0

From 2011: Kirtland routs Columbiana

While Kirtland spends its Saturday preparing for a second-round playoff game against Sugarcreek Garaway, Columbiana coach Robert Spaite might spend his day tracking down the teams who sent him a game film of the Hornets to ask them if the tapes were doctored. “They are a lot better than they look on film,” Spaite said on Friday night after his Clippers were whacked by the Hornets, 49-8, in the first round of the Division V playoffs.

Christian Hauber and Damon Washington combined for 360 yards rushing and seven touchdowns, the Kirtland forced five turnovers and scored after each of them, and the Clippers (8-3) didn’t surpass 100 yards of total offense until the Kirtland junior varsity defense was on the field. Spaite could do little more than shrug his shoulders after the state’s second-ranked Division VI team (11-0) scored 41 unanswered points to hand his team its most lopsided loss in more than decade.

“They just lined up and beat on us,” Spaite said. “They just lined up and mashed us. Nobody has taken it to us like they did.” At first, it looked like it was going to be a tight game. It was an 8-8 game after the first quarter when the Hornets took control in demonstrative fashion. Late in the first quarter, Columbiana quarterback Austin Barbato was intercepted by Zach Santo, which resulted in a 3-yard touchdown run by Hauber. Three plays later, a Columbiana fumble was recovered by Kirtland’s Josh Iammarino, which led to a 6-yard touchdown run by Hauber. On Columbiana’s next play, Barbato was stripped of the ball by Hauber to set up a 4-yard Hauber touchdown run. Three plays later, Neil Ribelli picked off a pass that was tipped by Hauber, which set up a 66-yard run by Washington. In almost no time at all, an 8-8 game turned into a 36-8 laugher at the half.

“Those turnovers added up,” Kirtland coach Tiger LaVerde said. “If they don’t turn the ball over, it would have been a lot tighter of a game.” The second half started like the first half ended, with Columbia fumbling on its third play of the half. Seven plays later, Washington ran in from the 4 for a score Hauber’s last touchdown run of the night made it 49-8. The Hornets’ varsity offense then retired for the night, with their varsity defense taking a seat for good early in the fourth quarter. It was a well-deserved early rest.

“We are a very well conditioned team,” Washington said. “We knew eventually we were going to wear them down.” Spaite raved of the wear-down ability of Washington and Hauber, who punished his team on both sides of the ball. Washington scored three times, including an 18-yard TD reception from Scott Eilerman on the game’s opening drive, while Hauber scored four times. Hauber also served as the defensive spy on Barbato, who was held to 53 yards rushing and 14 yards passing. “(No.) 1 and 34 don’t run like that on film,” Spaite said. “Thirty-four’s going to Air Force. He’s going to play on Saturdays. He’s one tough hombre.” Said LaVerde with a grin, “I’m just glad they’re on my team.”

With the first win of the postseason in the rearview mirror, Kirtland turns its attention to next Friday. Despite the lopsided outcome on Friday, LaVerde said there is some nit-picking to do — such as Kirtland using all three of its timeouts in the first six minutes because of lineup malfunctions. “This was a big one,” LaVerde said, glancing over at Columbiana’s postgame huddle. “That’s not a bad football team over there.” His Hornets just have a knack of making teams look that way.