Week 1: Covington Catholic (KY)

How big is Elder up front? CovCath looked smaller in their scrimmage than in previous years.

There is still no roster to be found online, but it's not Elder's biggest lines ever. The sophomore has good size, but is new and still learning. James is one of the tackles I think and is probably 6'2" 260, Singler might be 5'11 or 6' 260, Conners 6' 250 maybe.

I'm guessing the oline averages about 250-260, maybe under 250 if the bigger sophomore doesn't start.

There is still no roster to be found online, but it's not Elder's biggest lines ever. The sophomore has good size, but is new and still learning. James is one of the tackles I think and is probably 6'2" 260, Singler might be 5'11 or 6' 260, Conners 6' 250 maybe.

I'm guessing the oline averages about 250-260, maybe under 250 if the bigger sophomore doesn't start.
250ish is solid size for O-Line. If you go bigger, you get big tubby guys that can't move. There are of course exceptions, but not too many.

250ish is solid size for O-Line. If you go bigger, you get big tubby guys that can't move. There are of course exceptions, but not too many.

We were spoiled with some big lines recently with players who went D1 so we forget 250-260 is okay size for high school lineman.

In 2019, we had Jacob James 6'5" 285, Luke Kandra 6'5" 305, Carter Smith 6'3" 250, Drew Beckenhaupt 6'4" 275, and Mason Berger 6'2" 250(smallest of the 4 at Center).

We were spoiled with some big lines recently with players who went D1 so we forget 250-260 is okay size for high school lineman.

In 2019, we had Jacob James 6'5" 285, Luke Kandra 6'5" 305, Carter Smith 6'3" 250, Drew Beckenhaupt 6'4" 275, and Mason Berger 6'2" 250(smallest of the 4 at Center).
You are quite right. James was a physical specimen at 285, quite lean. If memory serves me right, Kandra looked quite a bit heavier and moved slower, had issues against quick Dlineman. I'm not knocking the kid, he was still head and shoulders better than about every high school olineman, I don't want people to think I'm ragging on him.

But we have all see those "giant lines" that are blobs and can't get out of their stances and are so weak they can't push anyone around.

How big is Elder up front? CovCath looked smaller in their scrimmage than in previous years.

The roster is on the website now. https://www.ehsports.com/team/roster/2021/Boys/Varsity/Football/

This is my best guess at the Oline. Someone correct me if they know different.
LT Evan James 6'1" 270
LG Jack Conners 6'1" 245
C Will Singler 5"10" 260
RG Austin Bass 6'2" 275
RT Jacob Schorsch 6'5" 265

I see some other oline with size on the roster juniors Andrew Ruwe 6'5" 226 and Austin Ruwe 6'5" 270 It looks like they brought up some JV olineman for depth.

So what is the consensus here? CovCath keeps it close for a half and Elder pulls away in the 2nd half? To win by how many? 14? More?

So what is the consensus here? CovCath keeps it close for a half and Elder pulls away in the 2nd half? To win by how many? 14? More?

The more I read on Cov Cath, the more I think Elder is favored. Elder -7 is a good line. I'm going to predict
Elder 42
Cov Cath 28

Will we see Ramsey on defense Friday night? Drew Ramsey was quoted in the Elder preview on cincinnati.com that he will play outside linebacker this year.

Will we see Ramsey on defense Friday night? Drew Ramsey was quoted in the Elder preview on cincinnati.com that he will play outside linebacker this year.
Hmmm. Could be college scouts need some film on that side of the ball. Not surprised at all. I’m looking forward to seeing what DR can do at OLB.

Last edited:
Cov Cath has lost only a handful of games in the past few years. 54-3 including wins over LaSalle and Trinity?

Elder isn't going to "pull away" and they are not likely to stop Cov Cath.

Cov Cath has lost only a handful of games in the past few years. 54-3 including wins over LaSalle and Trinity?

Elder isn't going to "pull away" and they are not likely to stop Cov Cath.
While CovCath has beaten Trinity, I believe it was back in the early 70's. So it's been a while, lol.

As somebody mentioned above, CovCath graduated a 3 year starter at quarterback and is breaking in a new signal caller, so there will probably be some growing pains there. Throw in playing at the Pit and Elder is 10 - 14 favorite. Really don't know what to think about the Elder offense against CovCath defense matchup. If CovCath has everybody available the defense has a chance to be really good and the strength of the team. Looking forward to them trying to slow the Panthers.

E - 49
CC - 21

Teams with limited familiarity to Elder rarely stop their offense. Note to CC, #12 is really good and the key to the whole machine. Contain him and you have a chance.

E - 49
CC - 21

Teams with limited familiarity to Elder rarely stop their offense. Note to CC, #12 is really good and the key to the whole machine. Contain him and you have a chance.

Cov Cath is stronger on the defensive side than the offensive this year. They pride themselves on their defense. I think CC keeps it close until 2nd half.

Hmmm. Could be college scouts need some film on that side of the ball. Not surprised at all. I’m looking forward to seeing what DR can do at OLB.
He adds value when he’s on Defense, so this isn’t being done for selfish reasons. I imagine they’ll try to find a way to rest Flowers and or Paff on Defensive series after Offensive series when they’ve taken reps at RB with Ramsey filling in.

He adds value when he’s on Defense, so this isn’t being done for selfish reasons.
I wasn’t implying it was for selfish reasons, don’t read anything into what I said. As dynamic and valuable as DR is on offense at the high school level I truly believe his best bet in college will be on defense at OLB. I’ve been saying that for a while now.

I wasn’t implying it was for selfish reasons, don’t read anything into what I said. As dynamic and valuable as DR is on offense at the high school level I truly believe his best bet in college will be on defense at OLB. I’ve been saying that for a while now.
A Jarrell White type you think?

E - 49
CC - 21

Eddie Eviston one of the best HS Coaches around here. Not sure how the Players will execute the CC plan but they will have a damn good plan. They will be familiar with most of Elder Offense and fully aware of #12.

A Jarrell White type you think?
Better size than White, probably a better football IQ too. Not sure about speed, but I think DR has plenty of speed and once he commits to defense full time I think his football instincts will allow him to play “faster” than his 40 time would indicate. I hope he still gets plenty of time on offense this year because he is so fun to watch on that side of the ball.

Eddie Eviston one of the best HS Coaches around here. Not sure how the Players will execute the CC plan but they will have a damn good plan. They will be familiar with most of Elder Offense and fully aware of #12.
Everyone was fully aware of #12 last year too.