WCPO Spotlight on DA Impact on HS sports

Sounds good Robin...You're telling me these top DA coaches are coaching HS soccer? If they do, please tell me what HS they coach at. I was talking about the DA coaches, not just "club coaches". This is an absolute FACT, you put the top 15-20 "best" on one team and then tell me how good your DA team is. Again, not sure where you are confused Robin, but these top DA guys are not going coach any program they have to build up....not gonna happen.

First off. Saying "Riddle me this Batman..." would make me the Riddler not Robin..

Some of DA coaches have coached HS. I agree there are great HS coaches and most if not all also coach club.

Are you saying teams win as long as they have great players despite who the coach is? So if a team full of great players lose why is the coach to blame? Seems like you are grasping at straws and looking to only discredit coaches.

Last edited:
College coaches don’t give a rats what high school you play for, they want to know what your club experience is

WRONG. Are you telling me when a player tells a college coach that they are a starter on Loveland or Medina or Walsh, the coach puts his hands over his ears and screams I CANT HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU I DONT CARE I DONT CARE I JUST LOVE CLUB COACHES AND WANT TO SPOON THEM? (or something similar?)

WRONG. Are you telling me when a player tells a college coach that they are a starter on Loveland or Medina or Walsh, the coach puts his hands over his ears and screams I CANT HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU I DONT CARE I DONT CARE I JUST LOVE CLUB COACHES AND WANT TO SPOON THEM? (or something similar?)

Yup, they are not playing for those teams because they played rec soccer, they played and continue to play club ball

If you can tell me a Recreational soccer player starting for any of those teams then I’ll give it too you but we both know all Ross players play on top flight club teams

Last edited:
First off. Saying "Rifdle me this Batman..." would make me the Riddler not Robin..

Some of DA coaches have coached HS. I agree there are great HS coaches and most if not all also coach club.

Are you saying teams win as long as they have great players despite who the coach is? So if a team full of great players lose why is the coach to blame? Seems like you are grasping at straws and looking to only discredit coaches.

I could have went with the Joker, but stuck with Robin...wasn’t much for super hero’s as a child. I am saying these Waldo super club coaches are not doing anything different that 95% of HS coaches at a training session. I support coaches, but I think the DA is selling pipe dreams to players and that’s my opinion. The odds of making the National Team is so small it’s a dream they market to these young players.

If CUP\Kings has 75-100 players trying out for 1 DA team their team should be stacked, and if you have a team that is stacked you should win, youndont agree? If they are marketing “best of the best”, they should win. A Waldo with a A license does not and will not make a good coach.

Unless something has changed, it means little what HS you start and play for. Many players with impressive HS resume’s barely see the pitch in college (KL, Madeira, state champ, Northwestern) and some who barely get a sniff at even a local/conference honor in HS end up as solid D1 starters (EC, MND, Eastern KY). Both played for the same club.

There is coaching education for nearly all sports. US Track and Field offers courses. Volleyball has courses.

I've seen major baseball, basketball, and football organizations (clubs, schools, leagues, etc.) offering coaching education. If someone wants to be good at something, they'll continue to do professional development. Soccer just happens to have one built in that is a FIFA standard. That's not a bad thing.

I am not saying it’s “bad thing”, but It does not make a coach a great coach due to their license. A good coach is going to continue to educate themselves and continue to improve their coaching skills no matter what sport. In soccer a coach paying for a license, sitting through a class doesn’t equal success. If you look around the sports world there are tons of great coaches without licenses manufactured by their sport, bottom line it’s a money grab.

I just asked a Division 1 mena coach of High School means anything to him in recruiting a player. He said rarely, the only time it comes into play is with nationally ranked programs year after year

I could have went with the Joker, but stuck with Robin...wasn’t much for super hero’s as a child. I am saying these Waldo super club coaches are not doing anything different that 95% of HS coaches at a training session. I support coaches, but I think the DA is selling pipe dreams to players and that’s my opinion. The odds of making the National Team is so small it’s a dream they market to these young players.

If CUP\Kings has 75-100 players trying out for 1 DA team their team should be stacked, and if you have a team that is stacked you should win, youndont agree? If they are marketing “best of the best”, they should win. A Waldo with a A license does not and will not make a good coach.
Again, you are forgetting that every team they play during the year is "stacked". That's what every DA team looks like. So there is no inherent advantage to win every game played based on your talent. But that's another reason top players elect to play with the DA over high school, the increased level of competition, both in games and training.

My son is on a DA team. The idea of making a national team is not on his goals list. He does want to play in college, and he LOVES the high level of competition he gets every day in training and every weekend in games. He's an 8th grader right now. He would like to play for his school, but he feels like the DA is a better opportunity for him. Varsity as a freshman would be the only thing that would make him consider it over the DA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Riddler and Joker are two different villains. Lol If you cant get basic DC Comic Strip then this whole soccer thing you should not even attempt. Lol

Again, you are forgetting that every team they play during the year is "stacked". That's what every DA team looks like. So there is no inherent advantage to win every game played based on your talent. But that's another reason top players elect to play with the DA over high school, the increased level of competition, both in games and training.

My son is on a DA team. The idea of making a national team is not on his goals list. He does want to play in college, and he LOVES the high level of competition he gets every day in training and every weekend in games. He's an 8th grader right now. He would like to play for his school, but he feels like the DA is a better opportunity for him. Varsity as a freshman would be the only thing that would make him consider it over the DA.

I'm not sure I would agree that all DA teams are "Stacked". Maybe on the boys side.

I'm not sure I would agree that all DA teams are "Stacked". Maybe on the boys side.
Agreed, which is why I put it in quotes. I was using his word. I will agree on the boys side the DA has almost completely monopolized the top talent in areas where there are DA clubs. Only places where some slip through the cracks and aren't on DA teams are in areas like Cincinnati where there is a cost to play. But even then they have most of the talent within an hour or two of the club. In many areas the only time they are losing top talent is because there are other DA clubs within the same city to lose them to (i.e. Chicago, Houston, the Northeast).

On the girls side they do have competition with the ECNL. Is that just because the DA is new, or will a competitive top tier environment continue for many years to come? I don't know that answer, and as smart as everyone on this site loves to say they are, no one here knows either. My personal opinion is that monopolies aren't always bad, but competition tends to usually be better. Time will tell how the soccer environment in America will develop in the years to come.

Last edited:
Oh, and they are definitely stacked when compared to almost any high school team. Since the original article was about the DA vs high school. For that I will use that word as my own lol.

College coaches don’t give a rats what high school you play for, they want to know what your club experience is

Well your a fool, if you think this!! I have been coaching HS for 12 years and I have spoken to every college coach that one of my players have been interested in. Yes your club is important, but not a deal breaker!!

I just asked a Division 1 mena coach of High School means anything to him in recruiting a player. He said rarely, the only time it comes into play is with nationally ranked programs year after year

WHOOO! You talk to 1 of 205 division 1 coaches, WOW, you are really in the KNOW!!
I can confirm that there was at least 35 div 1 represented at both the boys and girls state finals in Ohio.

"Coaches can communicate with athletes when the athlete is on campus." - BD

WRONG. As of last April, college soccer coaches can NOT communicate with athletes while on campus. Those kooky facts again...…..
Interesting. See what happens when you get out of the college realm, you lose track of all rules.

Maybe it's time for a refresher.

WHOOO! You talk to 1 of 205 division 1 coaches, WOW, you are really in the KNOW!!

I can confirm that there was at least 35 div 1 represented at both the boys and girls state finals in Ohio.

Your point? They are playing on those state finals because of the years and years of training and development they received from playing club ball years before they ever started high school

They are not playing recreational soccer and then making their high school team and being developed into division 1 talent by a high school coach

How many Cincy area girls have committed D1 over the last 3 years that did not play ECNL, DA, National League, or MRL Prem 1?

I'm also trying to understand the level of HS talent in Cincy. I'd argue that HS practices can't emulate high level club practices because the disparity in ability prevents the time and level of intensity of high level club practices.

At the end of the day, the difference between an OE ECNL (Presumably DA and National League) and an Ohio Galaxies practice is HUGE! BeaverCreek had three ECNL girls I think (1 was composite as she was recovering from a broken leg). I think the rest were mostly MRL or lower level players. Same with Centerville and Springboro.

How many DA/ECNL/National League level players are on a Mason or Loveland level team in Cincy?

Your point? They are playing on those state finals because of the years and years of training and development they received from playing club ball years before they ever started high school

They are not playing recreational soccer and then making their high school team and being developed into division 1 talent by a high school coach

The point, that you are obviously missing, is that it is a combination of both. Yes the technical training that you receive in club is better, but the HS season better prepares for college because of the time table of both. In HS and college, you have to develop chemistry and understand a new team, coach, or formation in a short time. You do NOT develop that in club where you play with the same players & coach for years. There is also the pressure of playing in front of classmates and community members, not just family members on lawn chairs.

How many Cincy area girls have committed D1 over the last 3 years that did not play ECNL, DA, National League, or MRL Prem 1?

I'm also trying to understand the level of HS talent in Cincy. I'd argue that HS practices can't emulate high level club practices because the disparity in ability prevents the time and level of intensity of high level club practices.

At the end of the day, the difference between an OE ECNL (Presumably DA and National League) and an Ohio Galaxies practice is HUGE! BeaverCreek had three ECNL girls I think (1 was composite as she was recovering from a broken leg). I think the rest were mostly MRL or lower level players. Same with Centerville and Springboro.

How many DA/ECNL/National League level players are on a Mason or Loveland level team in Cincy?

You can argue anything, but that does mean your right. Attend a HS practice before making assumptions. And your arguing about national level players, well in 30 years of great club soccer in Ohio, only Rose has made it to the national level on the girls side, so your point is asinine. I know you spend alot of $$ on club so you have to support it and say that it the primary way to make it in college, the reality is that is incorrect.

You can argue anything, but that does mean your right. Attend a HS practice before making assumptions. And your arguing about national level players, well in 30 years of great club soccer in Ohio, only Rose has made it to the national level on the girls side, so your point is asinine. I know you spend alot of $$ on club so you have to support it and say that it the primary way to make it in college, the reality is that is incorrect.

Couple of thoughts:

I'm not arguing about National level girls. I'm talking about ECNL/DA/National League/(Upper Level) MRL girls. I'm saying in general HS practices can't match that intensity/duration. I'm sure there are great athletic girls out there but I bet you can't name me 5 from the SW Ohio area that committed D1, that didn't play some mid to upper level of club.

1) I've been coaching in HS for a few years now. Although I don't bring the level of knowledge that a lot of people here do. I do however have the unique perspective of having to sit through various levels of club practices for the last 6 years as a parent, as well as high school. I haven't sat through a HS practice for a big Cincy, Dayton, Indy school but I have watched plenty of games. I've also been involved in enough HS games to be able to distinguish some schools based on the clubs that feed them and developed game plans accordingly.

Really I was asking questions because I don't know of the level talent in Cincy. I know one of our sectional opponents out of Indy had like 6 or 7 ECNL girls.

Do you go to high level club games and practices?

The point, that you are obviously missing, is that it is a combination of both. Yes the technical training that you receive in club is better, but the HS season better prepares for college because of the time table of both. In HS and college, you have to develop chemistry and understand a new team, coach, or formation in a short time. You do NOT develop that in club where you play with the same players & coach for years. There is also the pressure of playing in front of classmates and community members, not just family members on lawn chairs.

Lmfao

https://media3.giphy.com/media/4MSmydoaxjAju/giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c70253a614544676f820c31

We are still talking about girls soccer here, correct? What crowds you talking about??? Lol

And time? College teams are training together just as much club teams, before during and after the season. The level of play during training sessions are just as intense in both college and club due to all of the players bring equally as skilled, same with matches. Many clubs have as many resources as colleges as well, along with a lower coach/trainer to player ratio, making for more one on one time with staff. The college environment is much more similar to the elite level club environment. It is high school that is the outlier, and is lagging behind in all of those areas. That's why many top tier players find it more beneficial to stay in the DA rather then take time away for school.

The only real positive for playing for school is playing with your classmates, and representing you school and community. That has merit, but let's not pretend there is more besides that when it comes to the actual soccer development of players.

The only real positive for playing for school is playing with your classmates, and representing you school and community. That has merit, but let's not pretend there is more besides that when it comes to the actual soccer development of players.

Well said

UMMM you forgot about Heather Mitts- She is a 1996 graduate of St. Ursula Academy and played for the Cardinals Soccer Club. She made more than 130 appearances as a defender for the US National Soccer Team, scoring two goals - both game winners. She represented the USA during the 2011 Women's World Cup.

Mitts also played in both former professional women's soccer leagues, for the Philadelphia Charge in the WUSA and the Boston Breakers, Philadelphia Independence and the Atlanta Beat in WPS. She was allocated to the Boston Breakers for the new NWSL.

Last edited:
The original poster was talking about national league, not national team. Be careful feeding into the wrong things with this poster.

Well this guy said- " in 30 years of great club soccer in Ohio, only Rose has made it to the national level on the girls side". which is not accurate.

thanks bd i know what you meant now. but still a question if all of the people on here are so anti hs, bad training coaching and all why are clubs using hs fields.