WCAL Football 2023

Who will win the WCAL

• Total voters
Or Rittman played a team that can barely field a football team and plays mostly freshman . And rittman kept their starters in for the whole game .
Rivalry game…run it up. I’m sure Rittman has been on the receiving end many times.

A friend at the game told me Rittman started their sophomore QB and he tossed a couple TD passes. Anyone know anything about this kid? Will this create more of a passing game for Rittman or was this just a product of their opponent. I know they’ve been pretty one dimensional with their very good running back producing most of their offense. Better teams just had to load up the box and shutdown the run. Would be nice if teams had to respect the passing game to balance things out.

Man was I off about the Rittman/Chippewa game! lol. Rittman wins big! 41 to 0. Hillsdale jumped on Smithville early then coasted to a 33-14 win.
Lots of mistakes by the Chipps, including two shotgun snaps going over the QB’s head that were recovered by Rittman inside the Chipps 30 that led to scores. A blocked punt put the Indians in business at the Chipps 35, that led to abother score. Oh, and a Rittman squib kickoff that the Chipps middle line thought the deep receiver was going to get, then neither one went after the ball, so by the time someone did, the Indians recovered it. Then the Chipps QB suffered an injury on their second series of the third quarter and was taken to the hospital for further evaluation.

Last edited:
Just watched the Hillsdale/Smithville game on replay. Wow Smithville has a really bad offensive line. Im surprised that the line play is sooo bad because Head coach Olsen was a lineman on Smithville's best team ever.

Will rain play a factor? Will Chippewa pull off what would be the biggest upset in decades?

Does anyone think it's possible to have two regional Champs from the same league (Not named the MAC)?

Will rain play a factor? Will Chippewa pull off what would be the biggest upset in decades?

Does anyone think it's possible to have two regional Champs from the same league (Not named the MAC)?
It could happen! Norwayne is Div 5 and Dalton is Div 7. They meet next week in the WCAL.

It's not just about winning though. There is a noticeable lack of leadership and discipline within the coaching staff and it's evident by the continued actions of the players on the field. I'm not the only one noticing either.

Good coaches may go through some hard times with injuries and lack of talent but you can still see the building blocks of success they are trying to instill. You just don't see that right now.

He played for Coach Schrock. I don't expect him to win like Schrock did, but I do expect him to hold these kids accountable for their lack of sportsmanship like Schrock did.
Did Coach Olsen dismiss a player from the team recently?

A player was ejected from 2 different games this year.. Had to sit out another game and was not in attendance for last weeks game. I don’t know for sure, but I assume that may be correct

Just watched the Hillsdale/Smithville game on replay. Wow Smithville has a really bad offensive line. Im surprised that the line play is sooo bad because Head coach Olsen was a lineman on Smithville's best team ever.
It’s tough to watch.. Doesn’t help that plays take SOO long to develop that it looks like our offense is in slow motion at times. I’m not sure if it’s due to conditioning issues or just a coaching staff preference, but Smithville doesn’t have a lineman who starts on both sides of the ball. In the good ole days, a player like Brummage would rarely leave the field… I don’t think you’re seeing the best players playing at each position.

It’s tough to watch.. Doesn’t help that plays take SOO long to develop that it looks like our offense is in slow motion at times. I’m not sure if it’s due to conditioning issues or just a coaching staff preference, but Smithville doesn’t have a lineman who starts on both sides of the ball. In the good ole days, a player like Brummage would rarely leave the field… I don’t think you’re seeing the best players playing at each position.
Geez...that doesn't make much sense. The best players should never leave the field and by now - conditioning isn't even a factor, we're in week 8, everyone who plays regular minutes is used to the workload. Playing time is not guaranteed when you're trying to win football games....this isn't peewee football - play the best guys!

Yeah that don’t make much sense smithville is to small of a school not to have there best defensive lineman, also playing offensive line

Looks like the Northwestern @ Smithville game will be live streamed on WQKT. I wonder which Smithville team will show up. The one that should win by 30 points or the one that will let the Huskies hang around til the 4th quarter.

This week's games
Rittman @ Dalton
Chippewa @ Norwayne
Northwestern @ Smithville
Waynedale @ Hillsdale
Probably the most lopsided week of the year for the WCAL right? I don't think there's a single game thats within 2 scores. Instead of the normal dialogue, i'm going to propose the conversation of which would be the biggest upset. To me that's easily if Chippewa beat Norwayne. That would not only be the biggest upset of the week, but of the year so far, and I Imagine if you go far back enough probably of some time as well. If I were to rank the upsets of which would be the biggest, I think it'd go:

Chippewa over Norwayne
Rittman over Dalton
Waynedale over Hillsdale
Northwestern over Smithville

3 of these games might have running clocks by or a little bit after halftime, and the 4th could depending on which Smithville shows up, like Oldsmithie was saying

Probably the most lopsided week of the year for the WCAL right? I don't think there's a single game thats within 2 scores. Instead of the normal dialogue, i'm going to propose the conversation of which would be the biggest upset. To me that's easily if Chippewa beat Norwayne. That would not only be the biggest upset of the week, but of the year so far, and I Imagine if you go far back enough probably of some time as well. If I were to rank the upsets of which would be the biggest, I think it'd go:

Chippewa over Norwayne
Rittman over Dalton
Waynedale over Hillsdale
Northwestern over Smithville

3 of these games might have running clocks by or a little bit after halftime, and the 4th could depending on which Smithville shows up, like Oldsmithie was saying
Athletes are at a premium on the smithies team, Northwestern does have a few.....look for Smithville to try to run the rock 50 times and Northwestern to throw 50 times. How many big plays can Northwestern complete to keep them in the game?! That will tell the tale of this game....

Yea, that shouldn’t happen. Everyone loves the two platoon idea, just playing offense or D, but you just don’t have enough guys to do it. Even most big schools have a few guys that play both ways because they are just too good to take off the field. There may be one side of the ball where you sub them out more, but on key downs, they are out there.

Last edited:
Not a very exciting week is correct. I think Dalton beats Rittman by multiple scores, but it may be a little tighter than expected in the first half - true trap game for the dawgs with the bobcats next week and Rittman will be hyped after last week’s win. I think Dalton will pull away in the second half though.
Unfortunately for northwestern, they have a decent Qb and some good receivers, but their line, running game and defense are just bad. They have put up a few passing yards on just about everyone, but it falls apart after that. That being said, the Smithville is pretty leaky against the pass, so that game could be a little better than some think. Smithies will grind it out though imo.
Hillsdale is a good, but not great team. They way out-tough waynedale though. I dont see that one ending up real close.

Waynedale fumble late in the 3rd gives Hillsdale a short field, 21-21. 1st play after ensuing kickoff, another Waynedale fumble results in another Hillsdale TD. 9:44 to play, Hillsdale 28 Bears 21