Warren JFK home field for 2023

Thepenguin

Anyone know where Warren JFK will be playing their home games this coming year? At Harding? At Liberty? Somewhere else?

Last season they were originally going to play at Howland then it got switched to Liberty last minute. No idea where they will play this season.

Did Howland get turf?

Surprised that Valley Christian went to Liberty. Thought Campbell was an ideal place for them after they left Poland. Liberty feels a little less likely their wheelhouse for attendance.
Yes, Howland does have turf now.

Did Howland get turf?

Surprised that Valley Christian went to Liberty. Thought Campbell was an ideal place for them after they left Poland. Liberty feels a little less likely their wheelhouse for attendance.
Valley Christian has switched home fields more times than I can remember, I think they played at Canfield prior to Poland or maybe there was another field between there. Can anyone remember who else used Canfield to play home games in the past, I think there were a some one offs, and possibly a team played one season there as well at some point.

Valley Christian has switched home fields more times than I can remember, I think they played at Canfield prior to Poland or maybe there was another field between there. Can anyone remember who else used Canfield to play home games in the past, I think there were a some one offs, and possibly a team played one season there as well at some point.
Yep, started playing at Canfield when it was Youngstown Christian. Canfield kind of shuffled them around depending on what athletics were playing. One week they played on Thursday, next week on Saturday, next week on Friday. So, when they moved to Poland and exclusively had Saturday nights, they loved it. But I'm not sure then why they did not renew contracts at Poland and Campbell. Whether there were issues, or the host schools were jacking up fees to rent. 🤷‍♂️

I think they practice at the old South High School stadium. If they had a big donor, maybe they can fix up South Stadium and play Saturday afternoon games there. Sort of like Rayen Stadium.

Yep, started playing at Canfield when it was Youngstown Christian. Canfield kind of shuffled them around depending on what athletics were playing. One week they played on Thursday, next week on Saturday, next week on Friday. So, when they moved to Poland and exclusively had Saturday nights, they loved it. But I'm not sure then why they did not renew contracts at Poland and Campbell. Whether there were issues, or the host schools were jacking up fees to rent. 🤷‍♂️

I think they practice at the old South High School stadium. If they had a big donor, maybe they can fix up South Stadium and play Saturday afternoon games there. Sort of like Rayen Stadium.
There was talk I think back before covid if fixing it up and playing there without lights. But I think those ideas are done.

Shame because it would be cool for them to have their own place and South seemed like such a nice "right behind the school" stadium that you don't see anymore.

East and Chaney used Canfield a few times in 08 & 09. There may be more but i distinctly recall 3 total games in that time frame.
I never asked anybody at Valley why the move from Poland to Campbell ( i was personally happy since it saved about 20-25 minutes of travel for me) but i always speculated either a cheaper rate at Campbell and/or more of a ` local` feel

South stadium is absolutely shot for a high school varsity game. Valley has played Jr High games there, but i see this year all Jr High games will be on the road. Plus, like Lowellville the field runs East-West

Last edited:
Why doesn’t JFK just put in stands, a press box, and scoreboard at the field where their track is at? It’s a D7 school so you really don’t need to have more than one side of bleachers

Why doesn’t JFK just put in stands, a press box, and scoreboard at the field where their track is at? It’s a D7 school so you really don’t need to have more than one side of bleachers
A very prominent alumnus offered to donate years ago for a stadium but the diocese stated the money had to be used for all three area catholics because neither Mooney nor Ursuline have their own stadiums.

Simple, the Youngstown Diocese builds a " neutral " stadium for use by all 3. Probably soon to be 2 parochial high schools I'd imagine.

Why wouldn't JFK play their home games at Niles? Is there some bad blood from the past that led into that decision?

And IIRC, I believe they played at least 1-2 games at Howland last year and the rest at Liberty starting from October onward. I spoke to the AD a few weeks ago, and was told that they would be playing at Liberty, but since that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, wonder where they would go?

A very prominent alumnus offered to donate years ago for a stadium but the diocese stated the money had to be used for all three area catholics because neither Mooney nor Ursuline have their own stadiums.
There's going to need to be a correction in the Mahoning Valley when it comes to the Catholic schools. How small is Youngstown willing to go with their two schools before they're forced to merge? I doubt either side wants to give up their name, which would probably wind up with a Youngstown Central Catholic or some such. But these were once really big schools. And now they're struggling to be D5 without the competitive balance numbers boosting them up.

351 and 497 total enrollment for the two schools. And then JFK at 319 (6-12).
Why wouldn't JFK play their home games at Niles? Is there some bad blood from the past that led into that decision?

And IIRC, I believe they played at least 1-2 games at Howland last year and the rest at Liberty starting from October onward. I spoke to the AD a few weeks ago, and was told that they would be playing at Liberty, but since that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, wonder where they would go?
Same reason for most. The local school really doesn't want a private school to not take their field. Some districts just want the money and don't care. Some will, and then change their mind. Especially the first time a good prospect in the middle or JH program jumps to the private school playing at their field.

There has been bad blood between JFK and Niles since the 70’s.
Actually, this animosity from Niles officials dates back to pre-JFK days when St. Mary’s High School existed. The Misocky, Stanko, Russo families, as well as others, sent prominent athletes to the school. The outward animosity may have simmered somewhat in recent years, but it still bubbles beneath the surface.