Varsity Basketball 2017

TSchwor

I see they lost to Hughes High School. ? Is the coach still screaming at officials and wearing a "waiter's" suit? The only St X team to s*ck, year in and year out. The hoops program used to be tops in the city a 8-10 years ago.

X will be decent this year, an improved team. But that coach is a clown, worries more about yelling at refs and stalking the sidelines that coaching up his players.

Awfully quiet on here right now since the haters cant hate anymore with a 12-4 record and 2-1 in GCL South after first rotation after tonight's win over LaSalle on the road.....is St. X hoops on its way back?

The reason they are winning is they are not playing a 14 man rotation and they are finally playing the football players. Last year, Wittrock and Wolf had minimal minutes. This year, the top rotation includes, Witt, Wolf, Jefferson and Stockman. This year Coach L is letting the boys play. Love that basketball is back at St X.

I've been saying that about the football kids for years.... there was a school of thought at the Coach level that if you weren't 100% devoted to basketball (meaning on an AAU team) that you were not going to play over kids who were. I always thought that was a completely ignorant approach. My point is that the Football kids should be treated the same as and given the same opportunities as the full time basketball kids. It's no surprise that it has made a difference ...it is a surprise that it took so damn long to allow.

Your boys look good- as a Moeller fan I sorta wish the would go back to being inept, but the rivalry is way more fun when X is competitive.

There is an element of toughness that the football guys bring which allows for competing again in the GCL. All of us know how the league works, often the most mentally tough team is going to win and its the toughest league in the country. I know hoops only guys can also be that tough, but the X football guys have that and know how to win. Jim seems to be letting them play more, trusting his assitants more, and over-coaching less.

I looked on the GCL websight and in GCL games Wolf is 2nd in the league averaging g 16.5, Witt is 7th averaging 10.3 and Stock is at 7 and Bobby J is at 6. Pretty impressive and the reason why they are winning. I love it when The bombers are relevant!

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at what this 2017-18 basketball team did this year. I was able to get to 4 games and was impressed at the hustle and effort put forth by this years team. They won 17 games and won a GCL game for the first time in many years.
The footballers really added to the strength of the team. Wolf (QB)was MVP and Scholar Athlete winner, Jefferson (DE) won the Captain and Spirit Award, Wittrock (WR) won the Defense Award and Spirit Award, all came up big for the team. Stockman is a JR as well as Payne and then there are a couple Soph that logged minutes.
Hopefully basketball is back at St X; it has been too long.