Vandalia Football Coach Updates

TheBenchwarmer

I am starting a separate thread for the Vandalia coaching search since some of our fellow MVL friends have become offended by the publicity and interest that Vandalia gets on the general MVL threads.

Now that the housekeeping g is out of the way I think Sutherland gets the job but if I had to pick an internal guy I’d go Mitchell or Gueth.

If I had my pick of all candidates I’d want to take a hard look at externals. Not sure what the options are but would like to see a guy that can light a fire but also get buy in and commitment from the kids and community. He needs to be and X and O guy but has to also be a politician and marketing man.

The kids have to embrace the direction and build the winning culture. The community then comes in by rallying around the kids with support on Friday nights packing the stands but also by financially supporting the program and making Vandalia a destination school. The kid of program that kids want to transfer into.

We are a long long way away from that but it’s my vision.

I am starting a separate thread for the Vandalia coaching search since some of our fellow MVL friends have become offended by the publicity and interest that Vandalia gets on the general MVL threads.

Now that the housekeeping g is out of the way I think Sutherland gets the job but if I had to pick an internal guy I’d go Mitchell or Gueth.

If I had my pick of all candidates I’d want to take a hard look at externals. Not sure what the options are but would like to see a guy that can light a fire but also get buy in and commitment from the kids and community. He needs to be and X and O guy but has to also be a politician and marketing man.

The kids have to embrace the direction and build the winning culture. The community then comes in by rallying around the kids with support on Friday nights packing the stands but also by financially supporting the program and making Vandalia a destination school. The kid of program that kids want to transfer into.

We are a long long way away from that but it’s my vision.
Someone said parents would like to see an incumbent get the job. Truth is boys were pitched interim appointment at Cates departure announcement, fueling speculation on incumbents. If AD wants program to improve he'll take the hard look at externals you mentioned. Hope to see continuation on the progress Cates made rather than another blow to the program.

Agreed. By all accounts Cates was moving the needle so need the next guy to build on that momentum and get some big wins figuratively and literally.

I saw that they had a Special BOE Meeting on Wednesday night. I figured that special meeting was for approving the football coach, but to my knowledge no announcement has been made.

I saw that they had a Special BOE Meeting on Wednesday night. I figured that special meeting was for approving the football coach, but to my knowledge no announcement has been made.
I searched for minutes but nothing available yet. Meeting could have also been tied to school levy failing on Tuesday.

Ballboy74 seems to have investment in one candidate. Info being posted about the candidate is coming from several and I know several who have spoke to the candidate, the AD, the principal, the board and/or the superintendent. The post that he can't wait for this hire and another post that the AD is about to make a big mistake leave me highly concerned for Butler football. Ballboy74 if you're not the candidate, I'm guessing you're their parent. Do Butler a favor and put the football team ahead of yourself/son it won't be pretty for you or them if this candidate gets the job.
Unfortunately, you’re 0/2 on this one. I am definitely not a candidate for the job nor am I a parent of the candidate. It would be pretty sad if a football candidate was caught on Yappi. Everyone sees these posts, including school AD’s. I mean the guy who I would want didn’t even apply for the job, or didn’t get looked at. So, I have no ties to Sutherland, Mitchell, Gueth, Harper or Cox I’ve seen those names thrown in the ring. Are you a candidate, FbLineFan? Or if not, who do you want?

Unfortunately, you’re 0/2 on this one. I am definitely not a candidate for the job nor am I a parent of the candidate. It would be pretty sad if a football candidate was caught on Yappi. Everyone sees these posts, including school AD’s. I mean the guy who I would want didn’t even apply for the job, or didn’t get looked at. So, I have no ties to Sutherland, Mitchell, Gueth, Harper or Cox I’ve seen those names thrown in the ring. Are you a candidate, FbLineFan? Or if not, who do you want?
Prefer external if there is a good candidate. Not sure who's in the mix. Someone able to continue building with an eye on players and willing to implement strategies that fit their strengths. Not opposed to ACs who fit this criteria, but don't like the interim idea as 3 HCs in as many years is not the best way to build a program.

I like the external hire idea here too just don’t know who is in the mix. I looked at the Tipp staff and only person with Vandalia ties is Butera. I think he’s a QC coach so doubt he’d apply for HC. I don’t think there is any truth to Tipp interest. This late in the off season all indications point to internal hire. I’m 95% sure it will be Sutherland. Nothing to support that just gut feel.

I’ve just come across some BREAKING NEWS. The whole Tipp coaching staff thing got me digging & I came across an absolute shocker. So, I asked around some local community members I know at Tipp and I came up on some shocking information. Matt Burgbacher has expressed to many community members & his admin that he is unhappy with the board office situation right now at Tipp. They attacked their baseball coach, have misused their funds on numerous occasions & he is fed up. From a good source in the Tipp community, he put his name in for the Vandalia job & I’m told it’s close to a done deal. The Butler AD was supposed to make an announcement to the football staff this week & a lot of them are getting pissed it hasn’t happened sooner. I bet he’s figuring out how to break the news to them that he hired a good friend as their new HC. @ButlerParent @FbLineFan @TheBenchwarmer what’s your thoughts? Would you guys approve this hire?

I’ve just come across some BREAKING NEWS. The whole Tipp coaching staff thing got me digging & I came across an absolute shocker. So, I asked around some local community members I know at Tipp and I came up on some shocking information. Matt Burgbacher has expressed to many community members & his admin that he is unhappy with the board office situation right now at Tipp. They attacked their baseball coach, have misused their funds on numerous occasions & he is fed up. From a good source in the Tipp community, he put his name in for the Vandalia job & I’m told it’s close to a done deal. The Butler AD was supposed to make an announcement to the football staff this week & a lot of them are getting pissed it hasn’t happened sooner. I bet he’s figuring out how to break the news to them that he hired a good friend as their new HC. @ButlerParent @FbLineFan @TheBenchwarmer what’s your thoughts? Would you guys approve this hire?
Would be a program changing hire. No way that’s true.

I would be absolutely shocked to see Burgbacher leave Tipp. If true, Vandalia would be put back on the map and the rest of the MVL would be put on notice. He would be a grand slam hire.
No way this can be true

Heard AD is waiting for new HS principal to be announced before HC decision or announcement. Cates left for principal job at Arcanum. Butler could kill two birds in making Cates principal and retaining him as HC.

Heard AD is waiting for new HS principal to be announced before HC decision or announcement. Cates left for principal job at Arcanum. Butler could kill two birds in making Cates principal and retaining him as HC.
i’ve only ever heard of 2 people in recent memory in this area who have had titles of both principal and head football coach:

Neal Kasner at Jamestown Greeneview (for a year or so?)
Tim Goodwin at Marion Local

both small schools. i doubt that happens at larger schools. i could be wrong.

Last edited:
i’ve only ever heard of 2 people in recent memory in this area who have had titles of both principal and head football coach:

Didn't know Tim was principal at Marion Local. I know his dad Bill was the principal and HFC at Allen East FOREVER.

Picture this. The year is 2047. Matt Burgbacher wins a state title as coach of the Princeton Vikings. He has now coached at every school along I75, each stop more south than the last.

Suggesting Burgbacher and Dues is pretty funny. I heard Ryan Day is looking for a change of pace after the past couple of years, and Zac Taylor has decided he likes the Dayton area better than Cincinnati. I would look for one of those two as well to get the job pending a good interview.

Kasner stepped down as head coach when he took an administrative job. It has only been the last few years they have let him come back as an assistant. The last 4 conference titles are Haines, his protege!

Kasner stepped down as head coach when he took an administrative job. It has only been the last few years they have let him come back as an assistant. The last 4 conference titles are Haines, his protege!
are you sure they didn’t let him stay on as the head man for the first year of him being the principal? that’s what i remembered reading in the Xenia Gazette, but i could be wrong.

The least you could do is give both a call and gauge their interest. The rumor was that Goodwin turned down the Mason job when it was open last so I would be very surprised to see him even entertain the thought of Vandalia Butler.

I like the idea of Kasner though!

Picture this. The year is 2047. Matt Burgbacher wins a state title as coach of the Princeton Vikings. He has now coached at every school along I75, each stop more south than the last.

Suggesting Burgbacher and Dues is pretty funny. I heard Ryan Day is looking for a change of pace after the past couple of years, and Zac Taylor has decided he likes the Dayton area better than Cincinnati. I would look for one of those two as well to get the job pending a good interview.
I don’t think anyone really believes it. He wouldn’t leave this late in the offseason and his team returning is stacked. Not to mention the team has lost a brother with the tragic passing of Robbins he wouldn’t AND Vandalia is the rival team. Football is about the only sport Tipp can beat Vandalia in so they won’t let that go away. Like Fitzgerald would never leave Northwester I don’t think he would leave his almamater.

AD meeting tomorrow with the Butler football team. Hopefully this will be over and the decision is good for the program.

People saying Burgbacher is going to Vandalia is absolutely comical. I’ve heard nothing but bad about Tipp’s BOE but he won’t leave for that. He’s a Tipp guy through and through. His son is going to be a senior. The community loves and supports him and his staff. Besides that, why would he want to go to a vastly inferior program?

People saying Burgbacher is going to Vandalia is absolutely comical. I’ve heard nothing but bad about Tipp’s BOE but he won’t leave for that. He’s a Tipp guy through and through. His son is going to be a senior. The community loves and supports him and his staff. Besides that, why would he want to go to a vastly inferior program?
He went to a vastly inferior program at Tipp from Troy and turned them into a legit contender every year but that’s what he does. I get it though being his almamater and his dads former program otherwise no way he takes that job. But I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree. He ain’t coming to Vandalia. Sutherland will be the man and I wish him a ton of success.

Last edited:
Let me be VERY clear. Matt Burgbacher is NOT leaving Tipp and he did NOT apply for the Butler job. This is obviously a poor attempt to create chaos with a rival and could not be further from the truth. As someone who works with Matt and knows him I can CONFIRM this is absolute FICTION.