USA Men's Freestyle GOAT Poll

Who is the Men's Freestyle GOAT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well from a physics standpoint it may be easier to finish with a double ( blast or not) than a single leg attack, but JMO it's also more difficult to set up than a single once scouted. I know he just won another worlds ...but it's gotten tougher for him to score points on the better opponents. Most of the time a wrestler will favor one leg in front ( sugarfoot) getting your opponent moving in a direction to secure an ankle, shin, knee is a lot easier than making him move both legs together and secure BOTH. Burroughs pounds the head a lot, and HARD thats really basically his only setup .....his double has however been stopped plenty since his DNP in 2016 after being scouted more often. I'd still take a single leg attack where set ups can occur from a variety of ways to secure a leg, underhooks included. Some opponents force Burroughs into tying up, which mitigates most of his offense, he's VERY good at avoiding tying up however and his defense is also damn good...hence a lot of SUCCESS.
I was comparing John Smiths Low single to the blast double that JB uses, not just any single leg. Below is a link to John teaching his low single. At 1:29 in the video, John mentions that there are not a lot of set ups for the low single. When I look at JB and compare his aggressive attack, straight ahead, sacrificing his face /head, vs. John’s hang back and outside sweeping attack, I think JB is more aggressive. That just maybe me.
The reason I look at these two moves is obviously because JB &JS were on the top two list IMO . I like the way JS wrestles and watch any and all videos I can of him wrestling. Shoot, up until a couple months ago I had a photo of John on my wall and he autographed it 3 times! I ended up giving it to BTW for there auction. I guess my point in telling you this is I am not trying to put down or diminish what John has done, just that JBs attack is more aggressive. Sorry for the long winded explanation. By the way my plate on my truck is “BLST DBL” LOL

Last edited:
I was comparing John Smiths Low single to the blast double that JB uses, not just any single leg. Below is a link to John teaching his low single. At 1:29 in the video, John mentions that there are not a lot of set ups for the low single. When I look at JB and compare his aggressive attack, straight ahead, sacrificing his face /head, vs. John’s hang back and outside sweeping attack, I think JB is more aggressive. That just maybe me.
The reason I look at these two moves is obviously because JB &JS were on the top two list IMO . I like the way JS wrestles and watch any and all videos I can of him wrestling. Shoot, up until a couple months ago I had a photo of John on my wall and he autographed it 3 times! I ended up giving it to BTW for there auction. I guess my point in telling you this is I am not trying to put down or diminish what John has done, just that JBs attack is more aggressive. Sorry for the long winded explanation. By the way my plate on my truck is “BLST DBL” LOL

We can agree to disagree on the success rate of each. However I want to clarify I was referring to a "single leg" not exclusively a "low single" where the ankle is the target. A BD however also doesnt have many set ups, it's also instinct and getting your opponent distracted....most of the time JB hits it from space much like the "low single" is attacked. JB's favorite set up is a club to the head ....;) I like the success rate of an attack which relies on moving your opponent in a variety of ways ...underhooks ...overhooks ...clubs or taps to the head..fakes . Also you can finish off a thigh a knee an ankle and only need to secure one leg to do so. For me watching the videos of JB's strategy against KD and Taylor earlier on was to avoid tying up at all costs, the problem with that is at some point you're going to get put on the clock if the BD isn't there and youre slapping away hands to avoid ties . JB's version of hand fighting is banging the head and doing what he has to do to AVOID tying up, whereas KD and DT work much of their offense off a tie. KD exploited that well by refusing to be bullied by JB and got to his own offense and forced ties, mindfully watching out for a BD. Listen JB has had fantastic success ...I get it, BUT his offense is limited and I believe that is what hurt him in 2016 and his losses to KD etc. His wins have narrower margins....and against the top guys moving forward he's going to have a hard time IMO.