Urban to MSU?

Except for the salary, going back to Bowling Green would be a better job that going to East Lansing. Could Sparty beat Georgia Tech?

I don’t see him getting back into coaching. But if he wanted to, he could just wait a couple months and start over at Florida.
Don't think Florida would welcome him back. He did burn some bridges there.

The new chalk for this gig is Pat Narduzzi. 63–44 with 6 bowl appearances at Pitt, which is a very tough place to recruit, is a solid record. Having a rough year but he knows the B1G foot print and was a great DC at Sparty under Dantonio. Should be able to recruit well with MSU's resources.

Urban isn’t built for a job like MSU that is knee-deep in dysfunction and is not equipped to be a contender in today’s CFB realities. He also isn’t a leader or personality that reconcile with the differences in CFB today that weren’t present six years ago.

If he actually wants to coach again (a big if to me given the changes in the landscape), there are much better jobs that could be available to him, i.e. Florida or Texas A&M.

Narduzzi would be a good pick here. Guys like P.J. Fleck and Matt Campbell strike me as coaches that should be interested. Somebody that's had to make due with less and programs that have limitations, but that Michigan State is a slight step up from where they are currently at.

Narduzzi is a great coach and great fit. IMO one of the best DCs around and a great recruiter.

The difference now is UM is back on top, which was not the case during Dantonio's tenure. MSU is a tough place to recruit when you have UM, ND, OSU all relatively close by.
Yep. MSU is back to being little brother.

There was a guy a few years ago whose name came up with every coaching vacancy. He turned some offers down and probably finished second on a few jobs - but he missed his chance to strike when the iron was hot.

Matt Campbell stayed at Iowa State - and that program has been so mediocre of late that I doubt he would get consideration. I think his name was brought up in the previous coaching search. I tend to like it when coaches don't hop every few years, but Matt should have hopped when he had the chance. Now he will be lucky to stay off the hot seat at Iowa State.

I don't really care who Sparty gets. It won't be an elite guy, but probably someone with potential to be elite. That program can have some years where they compete at the top of the sport, but not consistently. Most of the time they really are scUM's little brother.