Urban Meyer out.

No big deal. Lou Holtz didn't even make it through an entire season with the Jets, Saban didn't cut it with the fish. As far as "moral ethics" Belichick is a known cheater but yet is considered a savant because he wins.

Watch him take the year off, Texas fire Sark, and Urban become the next HC there. I could maybe see that work, or State lets go of Day and...

What works with college kids does not work with adults who are getting paid. Disappointing that he could not make the transition, but not much of a surprise.

Shocked this didn't work out, he's been a known fraud. Shocked he didn't have "health issues"

I'm shocked the Jags pulled the trigger already. The Jags were not expected to contend for years, they have a rookie QB who they hope is going to be the guy, but they had little hope to win 3-4 games this season. Meyer certainly isn't the most likable person and you need to "win the room" before you can win on the field.
There will be no shortage of dumping on Meyer across the country today. But here is the simple fact, if the Jags had 5-6 wins now and looked better, he'd still be the coach. Your behavior as a player or coach can be awful if you win.

I'm a little surprised as well, if for no other reason than I didn't think the Jags would want to pay out four years of a contract for a fired coach. Although that's probably something for the lawyers to work out - sounds like the Jags might argue that he was fired for cause, invalidating his guaranteed salary.

Urban has this amazing ability to wear out his personal welcome over time. When he first came to Ohio St, I was excited because I understood that he would bring the Buckeyes out of the 19th century in terms of offense. By the time he announced he was stepping down for "health reasons", I felt like, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Winning covers a lot of sins and missteps, but if you aren't winning, and you are stupidly putting your character flaws out there, well, this is what happens.

Urban, go home and try to be the man Shelly believes you are - and don't come out until you are that guy.

It’s been a pr nightmare since training camp when he brought Tebow in.The report that he kicked a player last night was the final straw. Too big of a distraction with the compiling loses. As others have said if the Jags were winning he might have survived this season until more came out.

It’s been a pr nightmare since training camp when he brought Tebow in.The report that he kicked a player last night was the final straw. Too big of a distraction with the compiling loses. As others have said if the Jags were winning he might have survived this season until more came out.
Before Tebow, even. He hired Chris Doyle, Iowa’s legendary strength coach, after he had just been fired for using the N word to players.

I'm shocked the Jags pulled the trigger already. The Jags were not expected to contend for years, they have a rookie QB who they hope is going to be the guy, but they had little hope to win 3-4 games this season. Meyer certainly isn't the most likable person and you need to "win the room" before you can win on the field.
There will be no shortage of dumping on Meyer across the country today. But here is the simple fact, if the Jags had 5-6 wins now and looked better, he'd still be the coach. Your behavior as a player or coach can be awful if you win.
Not defending Urban in any way, but Trevor isn't exactly lighting it up out there. 9 TDs 14 INT CMP% 58. Lawrence has always been a great player, sometimes the wrong coach makes a player worse. Can't imagine what it was like with a rookie Head Coach and a rookie Quarterback trying to both adjust to the NFL life. The difference between both is that the Coach is dispensable, while the QB might get another shot with a different Coach. Look at what Baker's been through since he was drafted. He had 3 different OC's his first three years. I don't blame Khan for firing him, its the pros. If you're not a reliable person, then you get fired. It works like that for every job anybody has ever had.

Not defending Urban in any way, but Trevor isn't exactly lighting it up out there. 9 TDs 14 INT CMP% 58. Lawrence has always been a great player, sometimes the wrong coach makes a player worse. Can't imagine what it was like with a rookie Head Coach and a rookie Quarterback trying to both adjust to the NFL life. The difference between both is that the Coach is dispensable, while the QB might get another shot with a different Coach. Look at what Baker's been through since he was drafted. He had 3 different OC's his first three years. I don't blame Khan for firing him, its the pros. If you're not a reliable person, then you get fired. It works like that for every job anybody has ever had.
The rookie coach and QB worked just fine in Arizona.

I'm a little surprised as well, if for no other reason than I didn't think the Jags would want to pay out four years of a contract for a fired coach. Although that's probably something for the lawyers to work out - sounds like the Jags might argue that he was fired for cause, invalidating his guaranteed salary.
Shad Khan has plenty of money for whatever buyout is negotiated. He'll sell enough car bumpers to cover that. Otherwise, he can always sell his Premier League franchise or cut back on the allowance his son uses to run AEW. It would be more costly in the long run to keep Meyer around. I imagine it's coming up on time for fans to renew their season tickets and whatnot.

It would seem that the environment had become so toxic that allowing Meyer to finish the season would have set them back even farther with their rebuilding process. Eliminate the source of the toxicity and use the final 4 weeks to figure out which players need to be kept for next year and beyond.

Watch him take the year off, Texas fire Sark, and Urban become the next HC there. I could maybe see that work, or State lets go of Day and...
There are exactly zero reasonable scenarios where OSU fires Day and bring Urban in next year. First of all, Day is doing a great job, and is a far better human than Urban.

But even if Day does all this:
- Go 2-10 next year
- Hire racist assistants
- Physically abuse players
- Embarrass the University with a scandalous video from a bar

That only brings him down to Urban's level.

The college landscape has changed...........it seems like you ahve more control over your roster in the NFL now with the transfer portal!!

He will be back in college within a year or two.

Good on the Jags for waiting on this until all the prime college spots are taken.

Hot Take:
Harbaugh goes to the NFL after the season.
Urban Liar to Michigan.

He wrote a book about leadership, some leader.
How do you win 3 championships without being a leader? None of us know what kind of person Meyer is other than what the media tells us. I do know Meyer had a record of 83 - 9 at OSU. Was 17 - 6 at BG of all places. The guy is an excellent college coach record speaks for itself. Have a saint for a coach and he goes 2 -10 at OSU and see how long he lasts.

If Meyer does come back to the college level, it will be the SEC (where all they care about is winning, good for the SEC), maybe at Auburn after they fire the HC they just hired.

The college landscape has changed...........it seems like you ahve more control over your roster in the NFL now with the transfer portal!!

He will be back in college within a year or two.

Good on the Jags for waiting on this until all the prime college spots are taken.

Hot Take:
Harbaugh goes to the NFL after the season.
Urban Liar to Michigan.
Harbaugh be smart he would make that move before he goes back to being OSU's whipping boy.

Just another college guy who could not handle the professional coaching ranks.

Happens to a lot of coaches.

Many believe in their egos that they can do it, and it is a whole different ballgame. Colleges, like OSU, can hoard immense talent and flatly be better than almost all their opponents at most, if not all, the positions on the field in a bulk of their games.

You just dont have that in the NFL. Ya have to be a master of the Xs and Os, and managing adults, where in colllege you need to be a master recruitor and decently OK at the Xs and Os

Hayden Fox tried it, did make the playoffs once. He retired, and their assistant Dauber took over and won 2 SB's.

Just another college guy who could not handle the professional coaching ranks.

Happens to a lot of coaches.

Many believe in their egos that they can do it, and it is a whole different ballgame. Colleges, like OSU, can hoard immense talent and flatly be better than almost all their opponents at most, if not all, the positions on the field in a bulk of their games.

You just dont have that in the NFL. Ya have to be a master of the Xs and Os, and managing adults, where in colllege you need to be a master recruitor and decently OK at the Xs and Os

Hayden Fox tried it, did make the playoffs once. He retired, and their assistant Dauber took over and won 2 SB's.
I agree for the most part, but Meyer also won at BG with the talent he inherited and went 12 - 0 first year at OSU. The guy was a better overall coach (not just a great recruiter) than many people give him credit for.

There are exactly zero reasonable scenarios where OSU fires Day and bring Urban in next year. First of all, Day is doing a great job, and is a far better human than Urban.
Only a joke, no way Day gets fired, unless he stops beating Michigan and becomes the next John Cooper, but I don't see that happening.

I agree for the most part, but Meyer also won at BG with the talent he inherited and went 12 - 0 first year at OSU. The guy was a better overall coach (not just a great recruiter) than many people give him credit for.
OSU was still recruiting well.
Not saying he is not a good coach. Just stating it can be a whole different ballgame in the NFL and many guys flop when trying to make the jump.

How do you win 3 championships without being a leader? None of us know what kind of person Meyer is other than what the media tells us. I do know Meyer had a record of 83 - 9 at OSU. Was 17 - 6 at BG of all places. The guy is an excellent college coach record speaks for itself. Have a saint for a coach and he goes 2 -10 at OSU and see how long he lasts.
Yep!

Urban had a great set of core values that he preached to his team. Just because his character flaws didn't allow him to live up to all of them doesn't mean there is something with those core values.

I have a feeling that Urban is pretty typical of some powerful men - probably living within good boundaries most of the time, but has some rather dramatic and notable departures from that on occasion.

But I'm glad he is paying a price for his departures this time. It might help him stay within good boundaries.

He is a little too toxic for a big Power 5 job. I think he needs some serious rehabilitation before he gets another college job, but he is very good as a studio analyst. I can see him back on Big Noon.Kickoff if he behaves himself.

We've seen alot of guys as "reliable" as Meyer, they just win. If you don't win, you lose your job. My thought is Jacksonville - AGAIN, pulls the plug way too soon and they again have to start over. I think Lawrence will be ok, but he's got an unstable foundation, no running game and not great receivers. Let's hope the Jags don't bring in a coach who wants to go another way QB wise. This is likely the first job Urban was fired from.

Yep!

Urban had a great set of core values that he preached to his team. Just because his character flaws didn't allow him to live up to all of them doesn't mean there is something with those core values.

I have a feeling that Urban is pretty typical of some powerful men - probably living within good boundaries most of the time, but has some rather dramatic and notable departures from that on occasion.

But I'm glad he is paying a price for his departures this time. It might help him stay within good boundaries.

He is a little too toxic for a big Power 5 job. I think he needs some serious rehabilitation before he gets another college job, but he is very good as a studio analyst. I can see him back on Big Noon.Kickoff if he behaves himself.
Imagine him as a position coach or coordinator at the Nick Saban coach rehab factory.