UC is better.......

Without Yancy Gates in the line up.

jtk
()

They have beaten up on some pretty easy competition but they do seem like a team that is enjoying a different more open style of play. Players have seemed like differently players in this style than when playing the plodding "low-post" half-court game that we have seen soince Gates has been at UC.

The question will be if they stay with this style how UC will rebound against the big, athletic teams of the Big East and if Gates can become part of this style without slowing down the pace or clogging up the middle. Can Gates be a big part of an offense wihtout being the center of it and can he get his points without plays being run for him?

It will be interesting to see. UC does appear to be more suited for this style than a half-court game on offense and defense.

yes it has been against some bad competition.....but they haven't scored as many points in the last 3 games since mick's been there.

there just seems to be a different mentality with the kids and its noticeable with the play of SK and Cash.

it will be interesting come BE time if they can continue this style and be successful.

jtk
()

i'd say it has more to do with the open offense than it being because Yancy isn't playing. they will need Yancy during the big east so hopefully they can fit him in this offense....i also think Ellis could provide some help in this offense.

They aren't better because Yancy isn't in there, they are better because they are playing up tempo. Just let Yancy play facing the basket, he's proved he's useless otherwise and it just clogs up the offense.

you think he can play facing the basket?

hopefully, after the way the cats have been playing lately, he's working on his face the basket moves.........although i do think he provides a nice body on the defensive end of the floor.

jtk
()

you think he can play facing the basket?

hopefully, after the way the cats have been playing lately, he's working on his face the basket moves.........although i do think he provides a nice body on the defensive end of the floor.

jtk
()

This change in style for the Cats could give Gates a better chance to be liked by the NBA. He must show he can play in an uptempo style, face to the basket, rebound and play one on one defense. He needs to show he can be a player in the likes of Maurice Lucas ( I am not saying he is as good as him) a wide body strong forward who is a beast on the glass, a good defender, can hit the mid-range jumper and take a bigger guy to the hole.

Gates is a solid defensive player and his rebounding has improved this year and had double digits against xavier and georgia

Gates is a very mobile big man. There is no reason that he couldn't play an up tempo game if he wants too. The key is the effort required.

UC needs to get away from the "get the ball to Yancy" mentality. It bogs down the offense for a limited offensive player. IMO, if Yancy wants to score he needs to earn it by scoring off of off. rebounds and in transition.

UC needs to get away from the "get the ball to Yancy" mentality. It bogs down the offense for a limited offensive player. IMO, if Yancy wants to score he needs to earn it by scoring off of off. rebounds and in transition.

I think the problem is around yancy in the half court. he is solid passer but for some reasons the rest of the team stops moving when he gets the ball. I also would like to see him catch in around the foul line with people cutting towards the basket.