Twinsburg beats Solon

oldmanfbfan

Twinsburg beat Solon at Solon 56-48. Twinsburg led for the entire game. At one point they were uo by 16. Solon played hard but was outmatched. Good game by both teams. Twinsburg guaranteed a share of the NOC title for the 5th straight year. Twinsburg has not lost a NOC game in 5 years. or to and Ohio team in two years. Way to ladies.:clap:

Good Effort Solon...

but not good enough. You don't beat Twinsburg with over 20 turnovers. :dang: Kruse out coached again by Solis. At least 5 times Solon couldn't get the ball in or threw it away when inbounding. Fechko was the dagger getting rebounds under the offensive board and putting them back in. Excuse me, but wasn't she the shortest one on the court???

Malina missed her share of bunnies but still had a good game. There certainly is a difference between these two teams and the way one can keep their composure. Good luck Twinsburg - bring back another championship to Northern Ohio.

Solon, hope you're ready for Hudson now. See you Wednesday Bob.

Congrats oldman, but you might be posting a bit different way if Solon had hit all those open shots they had. And the Comets threw the ball away so often, that Malina being near unstoppable, might not have stemmed the tide of a major upset. I know, could a, would a, should a, but being a rabid die-hard, I saw somewhat of a different two or maybe three quarters tonight. The 3rd was horrible for the Comets.

That being said, Twinsburg can certainly repeat as state champs again in Div. 1. So it was an honor and privilege to play them, and hope we got the experience tonight in moving us up for the tournament. Good to see you.

but not good enough. You don't beat Twinsburg with over 20 turnovers. :dang: Kruse out coached again by Solis. At least 5 times Solon couldn't get the ball in or threw it away when inbounding. Fechko was the dagger getting rebounds under the offensive board and putting them back in. Excuse me, but wasn't she the shortest one on the court???

Malina missed her share of bunnies but still had a good game. There certainly is a difference between these two teams and the way one can keep their composure. Good luck Twinsburg - bring back another championship to Northern Ohio.

Solon, hope you're ready for Hudson now. See you Wednesday Bob.

Was there and you are right on Solon coach out coached just like when Solon played Manchester the coach doesn't seem to rotate very well , inbounding was nt very good but give credit to Twinsburg lots of talent on that team

Some of you must be crazy, Solon was outcoached? How about giving credit to Twinsburg. They are the defending state champ, and are probably the best team in Ohio once again. Does anyone think Solon is more talented? They are certainly not more experienced. Solon plays two sophomores and two freshmen in their 8-player rotation.

The Comets are improving and it was a one possession game with two minutes to go. The gap between these two teams is closing, and I expect that these two might meet up again in a regional final. We'll see if the Comets can take the next step then.

Go Comets!

Turnovers from inbounding

When you can't have plays to inbound and you then turn it over ( at least 4 times) is being out coached.

When a guard dishes off at the top of the key and Malina has a easy layup with no defensive collapse help(at least 3 times) is being out coached.

Wasn't looking for the perfect game from Solon, just limiting 'donations' to Twinsburg. When a team is that good, you just can't make mistakes. Julie is easily the better coach when the pressure is there.

That's a lack of help, not coaching

When you can't have plays to inbound and you then turn it over ( at least 4 times) is being out coached.

When a guard dishes off at the top of the key and Malina has a easy layup with no defensive collapse help(at least 3 times) is being out coached.

Wasn't looking for the perfect game from Solon, just limiting 'donations' to Twinsburg. When a team is that good, you just can't make mistakes. Julie is easily the better coach when the pressure is there.

How is a girl getting an open layup without "defensive collapse help" a lack of coaching? Maybe it's a lack of effort. Maybe it's a lack of execution. It's not a lack of execution or game planning. I know zero coaches who tell players, "Okay, here's what we're going to do tonight! When you see one of the best posts in the country, just let her cut to the basket for easy, uncontested layups. When she posts up on the block, don't fight for position. Let her catch. We'll stop her after she catches it. When a guard drives the paint, help off one of the best posts in the country. If we do those three things, we'll give ourselves a great chance to win!"

C'mon. That's ridiculous. No game plan is going to include that...the inbounds plays? That's a legitimate criticism if there really aren't any sets to get the ball in. I'm assuming those are side inbounds? I know they have multiple press breakers and frontcourt endline out-of-bounds plays.

The last thing, that I've seen from multiple posters, is about Solon having to limit turnovers and if they would have they could have won. Well, sure. Of course they needed to do that. It's just that Twinsburg's defense is the best I've seen this year. That has A LOT more to do with that than Solon's inability to handle the ball. It's not just the possession you turn the ball over on, it's the compounding nature of having to deal with that pressure on every possession. Yes, there are some unforced turnovers--but it's BECAUSE there is consistent pressure applied. You can't relax against Twinsburg.

I wasn't at last night's game, but have seen Twinsburg multiple times over several years. Their defense is at a different level this year. I'm assuming they played the same type of up-the-line man-to-man defense last night. If they did, I can envision the pressure leading to turnovers.

Not to start trouble but Twinsburg did not play its best game last night by any means. Some of that had to do with Solon but mostly it was Twinsburg failure to take of the basketball. I saw more turnovers by us than I've seen all year. Twinsburg had a chance to blow Solon out mid way through the 3rd Q and had 4 straigt turnovers that lead to easy Solon baskets (a 3 and 3 lay ups) a 9 point turn around. Twinsburg was up by 16 when they went to sleep for 3 minutes. The tigers struggled for a 6 miute stretch when Solon drew close. But Morrisette and Howard righted the ship and Twinsburg pulled away the last 4 minutes till Solon had to foul. These 2 will meet again and the stakes will be higher. A trip to the Columbus. Way to go NOC teams.

It's obvious on these boards that some people just have an ax to grind and set up accounts to bash. I agree with most that the more talented team won, but Solon is improving and you can't ask much more than having it be a one possession game with two minutes to go.

The Comets had way too many turnovers, but that is what Twinsburg does to teams with their defensive pressure. They also pose problems for Solon because the Comets have no true post players, so matching up with Howard is a chore.

The difference in the game was a six minute stretch to end the second quarter and open the third. The game was tied at 22, when Solon committed two turnovers and T'Burg ended the half on a 7-0 run. They then opened the third with a 9-0 run. I was impressed with the response by Solon and their defensive pressure caused the Tigers to turn it over more than usual. Although most teams are afraid to pressure T'Burg, the Comets pressed in different ways most of the game.

It was a fun game to watch, too bad the PD couldn't find a reporter to cover it as they had to be at the John Hay-Akron Buchtel boys game... What a joke!

Go Comets!

How is a girl getting an open layup without "defensive collapse help" a lack of coaching? Maybe it's a lack of effort. Maybe it's a lack of execution. It's not a lack of execution or game planning. I know zero coaches who tell players, "Okay, here's what we're going to do tonight! When you see one of the best posts in the country, just let her cut to the basket for easy, uncontested layups. When she posts up on the block, don't fight for position. Let her catch. We'll stop her after she catches it. When a guard drives the paint, help off one of the best posts in the country. If we do those three things, we'll give ourselves a great chance to win!"

C'mon. That's ridiculous. No game plan is going to include that...the inbounds plays? That's a legitimate criticism if there really aren't any sets to get the ball in. I'm assuming those are side inbounds? I know they have multiple press breakers and frontcourt endline out-of-bounds plays.

The last thing, that I've seen from multiple posters, is about Solon having to limit turnovers and if they would have they could have won. Well, sure. Of course they needed to do that. It's just that Twinsburg's defense is the best I've seen this year. That has A LOT more to do with that than Solon's inability to handle the ball. It's not just the possession you turn the ball over on, it's the compounding nature of having to deal with that pressure on every possession. Yes, there are some unforced turnovers--but it's BECAUSE there is consistent pressure applied. You can't relax against Twinsburg.

I wasn't at last night's game, but have seen Twinsburg multiple times over several years. Their defense is at a different level this year. I'm assuming they played the same type of up-the-line man-to-man defense last night. If they did, I can envision the pressure leading to turnovers.

As you mention, up-the-line man-to-man defense can be smothering. Prepare for it and get it in bounds. There were balls thrown away right after Twinsburg scored and Solon handed the ball right back. There were side in-bounds where they were called for 5 seconds. Again they handed the ball right back.

With Malina, a pick and roll is their bread and butter. Ashley does it well.

You missed a good game. Was a winnable game for Solon.

Fair enough

To me, those critiques are valid...and yes, I wish I would have been able to make the game last night. Probably the best matchup in this area so far this year (discounting the Classic (out of the area)...and "this area" doesn't include the Federal League for me, so the Lake-McKinley type games don't count for my viewing ability)

Wow - denbigfish, are you willing to lend out your expertise? Seems like if you were coaching Solon instead of Kruse, Solon could have handled T'Burg's defense, come up with some outstanding out-of-bounds plays and defended Howard no problem. In fact, you might want to give your vast basketball knowledge to all of the great teams that Twinsburg has beaten in the past two years so they could have no trouble beating the Tigers too!!:wallbang:

Was a fun game to watch, both teams should be proud. Nice to see neighboring communities that have two of the best teams in the state.

Plain Dealer writer Bob Fortuna chose to cover Cleveland Heights-Shaker Heights Girls game, won by the Tigers 59-58. Pretty big two- column story on pg. 13 of today's morning monolith. Have to say he covered a barnburner.

Wednesday night in Hudson may be another. :cool:

Wow - denbigfish, are you willing to lend out your expertise? Seems like if you were coaching Solon instead of Kruse, Solon could have handled T'Burg's defense, come up with some outstanding out-of-bounds plays and defended Howard no problem. In fact, you might want to give your vast basketball knowledge to all of the great teams that Twinsburg has beaten in the past two years so they could have no trouble beating the Tigers too!!:wallbang:

Was a fun game to watch, both teams should be proud. Nice to see neighboring communities that have two of the best teams in the state.

Not coaching, just watching as you were. Sorry, no excuse for not getting a ball inbounds period. You can't beat a very good defensive team like Twinsburg with over 20 turnovers.

As for lending out my expertise, you don't have that kind of money.

Go Comets. beat Hudson.

I repeat-

"to be the best, you have to beat the beat, woooo!" -Ric Flair

Very intense, hard fought game. Two very strong teams. With that-To beat TBurg you have to play a near perfect game. Solon didnt do that and got beat. No doubt TBurg is the local favorite to go down to Columbus from this area. That said-if Solon can catch them and play an "A" game-they can beat them.

Great game by both squads. What couldve been a blow-out turned into a fourth quarter slug fest.

Congrats to TBurg.

Go Comets!