Tuesday State Semifinal Updates and Finals

Thanks for the history lesson. Centerville's soccer only stadium is awesome! I love that no track surrounds the field which is very rare in high school.

The issue last night is Seton was the visiting team and brought 1000+ people. The visitors section has seating for maybe 500? Thus the entire student body (7 busloads) was forced to stand along the fence to watch the game. It made for a great atmosphere but you charge each girl $8+ per ticket but don't provide them a seat?

Not sure what the answer is other than recognizing the pre-sale tickets sold and allowing seats for each person. If a specific venue has a drastic difference between home and away, the team bringing all the fans should be on the larger side.

Either way, what a remarkable run Seton has been on pulling upsets over Milford and MND and then beating a VERY skilled Olentangy team in double overtime!
Yep, the visitor side is small because over the years they weren't seeing more than 200 people show up. Therefore when the stadium was upgraded, money was spent on smaller stands.
Even during the end of season rivalry between the boys Centerville vs Alter match, hardly any visitors showed up which is a far cry from when I was in school.
Agree, perhaps Home/Visitor seating should be based on ticket sales. Perhaps a few people should write the OHSAA and make them aware. Otherwise, good luck at the State Finals; hope your team wins it all!

Very entertaining game. I did think the linesmen struggled with Seton's high line/offside trap, particularly the official on Seton's sideline. Had a few bad misses. Not sure it affected the outcome, but would have hoped to see better at this stage in the tournament. I was impressed by Orange's response in the second half after it looked like Seton might run away with it early on. That penalty save was huge (though it was one of the more poorly taken penalties I saw this year). At the end of the day though, Seton marches on. Congrats to the Saints! Bring it home to Cincinnati!

Very entertaining game. I did think the linesmen struggled with Seton's high line/offside trap, particularly the official on Seton's sideline. Had a few bad misses. Not sure it affected the outcome, but would have hoped to see better at this stage in the tournament. I was impressed by Orange's response in the second half after it looked like Seton might run away with it early on. That penalty save was huge (though it was one of the more poorly taken penalties I saw this year). At the end of the day though, Seton marches on. Congrats to the Saints! Bring it home to Cincinnati!
Seton has averaged 9 offsides calls on the opponent per game during this playoff run. It’s been a different side judge each time. The past three excellent teams have all struggled adjusting. Let’s see if Strongsville makes Seton pay for its high-line defense or if Seton has one more cardiac ending left in ‘em.

Seton has averaged 9 offsides calls on the opponent per game during this playoff run. It’s been a different side judge each time. The past three excellent teams have all struggled adjusting. Let’s see if Strongsville makes Seton pay for its high-line defense or if Seton has one more cardiac ending left in ‘em.
It's been an effective strategy for them, no doubt. Especially when ARs err on the side of raising the flag if it's a close call. And Seton has athletes across the back who are able to recover even when opponents do get in behind. No criticism of the approach here. Really impressed by how well they've executed it.

“The Saints’ high line defensively also proved tough to navigate as the Mustangs were whistled for offside nine times.

“We average about 13 (offsides) against,” Seton coach John Volker said. “We practice it a lot. It’s a lot of coordination not only with the back four and the keeper, but everybody has to do their job. They have to first defend, they have to be able to press high and get the ball. Any time the ball’s loose, we have to get it.”

Six of the nine offside calls were in the second half, but only one came after Ott’s decisive goal.

“Their high line was definitely something we had a challenge with,” The Mustangs’ Taylor Demmerle said. “They do a good job of pushing up and really looking for that offsides. But I think throughout the game, we knew we had to watch that offsides and they did catch us a couple of times.”