Troy Davis out as Louisville Leopards Head Coach

Can't confirm just yet but multiple sources say former Massillon HC Rick Shepas has expressed interest in the job
This would solve a problem....but cause another.

Let's look at Louisville's schedule over the last 5 years, over that time span Louisville has filled dates with federal league teams (on average), 4.4 times a season. Fed teams have been standing in line to get them some Louisville action. If Shep would get the job, I believe those teams....not all, but most....would take their balls and go home....some immediately, and some when he turns that program around. So, getting to the point, in the near future Louisville would need to find some opponents to fill out basically half of their schedule.

This would solve a problem....but cause another.

Let's look at Louisville's schedule over the last 5 years, over that time span Louisville has filled dates with federal league teams (on average), 4.4 times a season. Fed teams have been standing in line to get them some Louisville action. If Shep would get the job, I believe those teams....not all, but most....would take their balls and go home....some immediately, and some when he turns that program around. So, getting to the point, in the near future Louisville would need to find some opponents to fill out basically half of their schedule.
Do you think some of those fed schools don't want to play Massillon, or do they not want to play Shepas. It's been a while since all that went down with Shepas and the Fed.

Honestly I think GlenOak and Hoover would still play them. Rivalry for Hoover and GlenOak will play them, well because it's GlenOak and they haven't even dropped Massillon while they've been down

It’s interesting but he’s got to be over 70.
My son played for Brian and I really like him. He is straight forward, no nonsense, and a good teacher of old school, physical football. He would also not need a teaching position. That being said, his age doesn’t lend to building a long term program. He is also a wing-T coach which would I am not sure translates to Louisville. Modern parents would struggle with him as well. My favorite Cross quote, “You can come and talk to me anytime about your son’s playing time. You probably won’t like what I tell you though.”

The bottom line is until Louisville gets in a league with similar sized schools they are going to struggle. It’s unreasonable to believe playing predominantly Division I and II schools is going to yield different results.

Do you think some of those fed schools don't want to play Massillon, or do they not want to play Shepas. It's been a while since all that went down with Shepas and the Fed.

Honestly I think GlenOak and Hoover would still play them. Rivalry for Hoover and GlenOak will play them, well because it's GlenOak and they haven't even dropped Massillon while they've been
I think most of those schools don't want to play Massillon OR Shepas, they appear to be a vindictive group.

The longstanding series with Hoover and GlenOaks somewhat atypical federal league scheduling practices are the two teams I actually had in mind when I stated...."not all, but most....would take their balls and go home."

Shepas and Budd would both be excellent choices if interested - very contrasting styles and personas but both effective and winners at all places they have landed. Shepas Offense would probably be more like Farrah's whereas Budd's might look a little more like Crislip's.

I know some have said Broc Dial wouldn't be interested, but I hope he applied and would be seriously considered. To me, he would be a better fit for Louisville than some others mentioned here.

Only question is will he stay at Dalton for as long as he wants to coach? Or until Northwest is open? Or does Louisville really appeal to him?

It's probably not realistic, but I'm holding out hope it will happen for the Leps football program.
Dial isn’t going anywhere. Believe me, I know.

Everything from the start was all about how they were going to hire Coach Kappas who is a D1 assistant coach at Austin Peay. Although there are definitely family ties to Louisville the move financially just never made sense to me. Coach was just named college assistant of the year so I would think he is in line for bigger and better advancement. Maybe he is still in the loop but his name has not surfaced much lately so possibly we are on plan b or c..

Hopefully they can get it right with a long term solution with the next hire who can bring in some his own guys as well as one or 2 guys that seem to get it from the current staff. I have heard way too much blame on the schedule. I agree the schedule is tough, however its not just that we lose, its how we lose. We are not even competitive in many of these games. Possibly many on the current staff put too much blame on the schedule and don't focus enough on how bad we are losing.

Hell, even when we win its not all that great. We beat a D4 Northwest team 16-6, lose to a D4 school = Poland, and it took 2 OT's to beat Notre Dame who are a D3 non playoff team just like we are. So that should shed some light that it is not just the schedule. Soft coaching leads to a soft program. We are not soft in other sports so that tells me we have some kids to be competitive. Maybe the days of winning 8 or 9 games with an NBC championship our over and I am fine with that. But with the right staff we can be 6-4 or 7-3 and be better prepared for the playoffs.

Go Leps.. Prayers that we get the right guy whoever that is......

He won 6 games a year over his career. Not exactly a beacon of success.
Bill Bohren began coaching when football was scribbled on the cave walls of France. At 88 years young, I say bring him into Louisville and run a single wing.

NOW.....If Rick Shepas is the Louisville head coach, a couple of things you can count on:

1. The PTO will drop Louisville off their schedule just as fast as the NBC schools dropped Louisville.
2. Barbershops in Louisville will see a decline in business during Shepas's follicly challenged tenure.

Looking at Tim Budd's resume, I'd hire him.

32-13 record at St. Thomas Aquinas.
48-27 record at Jackson.

Winning at STA is hard. Budd has already coached in Louisville at STA, so there's another advantage.

Last edited:
The writing is on the wall… the fact that this coaching search is still ongoing shows that no one wants to coach at Louisville anymore. No Bobby Swigerts walking in that locker room anymore

Shocked to hear they tried to take a shot to get Kappas, he likely will stay in college coaching for a while.

I would venture they are taking their time as the holidays gear up and they likely look at what positions within the district they can offer coaches

Shocked to hear they tried to take a shot to get Kappas, he likely will stay in college coaching for a while.

I would venture they are taking their time as the holidays gear up and they likely look at what positions within the district they can offer coaches
I am pretty sure they got Kappas, I was questioning like you are and the I was told "done deal" so it has to be true.

I am pretty sure they got Kappas, I was questioning like you are and the I was told "done deal" so it has to be true.
I’m hearing the same thing, but you never know until they actually publicly release it I guess. If true this is a big time hire.

Bill Bohren began coaching when football was scribbled on the cave walls of France. At 88 years young, I say bring him into Louisville and run a single wing.

NOW.....If Rick Shepas is the Louisville head coach, a couple of things you can count on:

1. The PTO will drop Louisville off their schedule just as fast as the NBC schools dropped Louisville.
2. Barbershops in Louisville will see a decline in business during Shepas's follicly challenged tenure.

Looking at Tim Budd's resume, I'd hire him.

32-13 record at St. Thomas Aquinas.
48-27 record at Jackson.

Winning at STA is hard. Budd has already coached in Louisville at STA, so there's another advantage.
I agree, Budd is a better fit for a couple of reasons.

As I stated above, Louisville has averaged almost 5 games against the Federal league over the last 5 years. Wouldn't surprise me if the Fed commish has already contacted the LHS Super and told him, "if you want to continue having games scheduled against teams in our league....and even possibly be considered for membership, should we ever expand....possibly even into divisions....you had better not hire Shepas."

Well then they should cancel finalist interviews they are setting up

However, they might be doing that if it falls through

Last edited:
I have been told that some of the community members are trying to get the AD to change it, at least drop Big Red and maybe one other.

But if nothing changes it is just as bad as last year. Not sure about the WV team if we are playing them again or not.