Tre Newton, elite?

pied

I have said several times, on here and other places I believe, that I did not think that Tre Newton would be considered an elite prospect, but I appear to be wrong.

It seems that he will more than likely be receiving an offer from Texas and has a top two now of Notre Dame and Texas.

It's cold in South Bend, how can that be a question?

Lets compare

Sunday Low
South Bend 10
Austin 23 *****

Sunday High
South Bend 23
Austin 65****** (bit chilly)

Monday Low
South Bend 10
Austin 42*****

Monday High
South Bend 43 (a heat wave)
Austin 75**** (girls are laying out in their bikinis working on their spring break tans)

Come on Tre. This is a no brainer.

I've watched Tre Newton for several years. I've always thought he has the most potential to be successful in college and the NFL of ANY PLAYER ever to play for SLC. He's got great speed (he runs the sprints on the track for SLC) and he has got size (6'1" 195 and gaining). He will never be a back with great quickness or great lateral moves. How many backs as big as Tre have those moves? He will never be a scat back or a back in the mold of Barry Sanders. He IS a back with great speed, good size, good strength and outstanding balance. He is a great combination of open field speed and power running.

Also, he is VERY YOUNG. 18 months ago, he was a SLC starter at age 15. His birthday comes late in the year. He has lots of maturing left to do.

He also has an NFL pedigree. His dad and two of his uncles played in the NFL.

I predict he will have a monster senior season.

To give some clarification, right now he is ranked as the #37 player in Texas.

The RB's at this point are
#2 Jeremy Calhoun-Long thought to be a slam dunk to TX. Was told that TX would not be recruiting him after asking for his transcript. Probably headed to ou.
#7 Justin Johnson-Recruited by Texas as a LB, headed to ou. Also has strong family ties there and was not a huge surprise.
#13-Devin Thomas-Looking around, no real leaders at this time apparently.
#18-Jeremy Hills-Brother of Texas OL Tony Hills. Committed to TX earlier this month.
#34 LaMichael James-Some really like the guy. I think Bordertown knows a lot more about him than myself.

Then Tre. There are a lot of very good backs in Texas. Looks like for a variety of reasone, not the least of which are talent and grades, Tre is going to get a VERY good ride.

I guess it depends on your source.

Scout.com ranks Tre Newton the 10th running back in the nation and the 4th ranked running back in Texas (behind Calhoun, Hills, and Johnson) for the classs of 2008.

All of the rankings tossed out on this thread clearly show that Tre Newton is an elite prospect regardless of which source you prefer to use. SLC is very, very happy to have him. He is a nice compliment to Riley in the backfield.

Regarding potential colleges, I've seen Tre's name associated with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and Notre Dame.

Welcome to the family Riley and Tre!!!!!!

I am now a Tre and Riley homer and will hvae to catch a game or two this season.

Note that Riely was offered as an "athlete" DB/WR and will get a chance to play QB.

Much head scratching in the burnt orange nation about recruiting for '08. but that most certainly deserves its own thread.

For this one I say CONGRATULATIONS to TRE AND RILEY, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!!!!!!!

Who was the idiot that said William Cole deserved the National PLayer of the year???

Welcome to the family Riley and Tre!!!!!!

I am now a Tre and Riley homer and will hvae to catch a game or two this season.

Note that Riely was offered as an "athlete" DB/WR and will get a chance to play QB.

Much head scratching in the burnt orange nation about recruiting for '08. but that most certainly deserves its own thread.

For this one I say CONGRATULATIONS to TRE AND RILEY, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!!!!!!!

Who was the idiot that said William Cole deserved the National PLayer of the year???

sam mcguffie should be.

Riley Dodge has had a change of heart and switched his commitment to University of North Texas. Not a huge suprise. Texas was recruiting him as a WR and he apparently wants to play QB. Rumor in Austin the UNT HC gave him a car!!! :D

Some rumors that Tre Newton may be wavering to go to UNT also.

Riley Dodge has had a change of heart and switched his commitment to University of North Texas. Not a huge suprise. Texas was recruiting him as a WR and he apparently wants to play QB. Rumor in Austin the UNT HC gave him a car!!! :D

And cash. And a couple of paid vacations.

Not just a paid vacation, but a cruise!!!!!! The HC is hiding behind the NCAA rule that coaches can not talk about recruits until signed. I sense an NCAA investigation at UNT. What these upstart coaches won't resort to obtain a recruit. :Ohno:

I'm guessing Pied will be out of commission for a while while he edits several hundred posts.

Not quite. RD wants to play QB at the next level, and while TX offered him a shot, he has a MUCH better chance at UNT. Can anyone blame for doing that and playing for his dad?

Not me.

From UT fan perspective, you hate to lose winners who will contribue, but it may end up ok from a scholarship # position. Would not surprise me totally to see Newton do the same thing.