Travel

I don't get beaches. Can't see the attraction. Best beach I've seen, nice white soft sandy, small stream waterfalling into a pond that over-flowed into perfectly clear ocean. If f-in freezin Nova Scotia. I never saw so many pasty people in my life. In florida, I lived two blocks from the beach, just across A1A. Went maybe 4-5 times in three years. Tried surfing once. First wave came in, friend showing me forgot to tell me to duck the board. Got it in the chin. End of surfing career. Have you ever seen what's living in that sand? Inches from entryway? Early evening chasing of crabs that run side-ways was kind of cool. Until they turned on you. Then it was nightmares for a week.

There was a cool little jazz bar and a few strip clubs for bacheler parties a block from the beach. That's really all the closer I needed to be.

The nicest thing about beaches is that they are always there and available. I can't stand a city vacation where I feel like I always have to fill my time with an activity that requires me to spend money, wait in a line, etc. I can budget a few hours of the day for BEACH and that can be sitting and doing nothing or playing around with the kids on the cheap. Yeah, crowded and noisy beaches suck, lugging equipment sucks, having sand hitch hike with you sucks, but for the most part BEACH is worth it for the sake of putting something on the schedule without adhering to a schedule.

I miss being able to hitchhike.

As a kid trying to get around town it was useful. You had to be prepared in case of a pervy or whatever.
Bored people looking for someone to talk to, Some of the most hospitable people on the planet. It was a great way.

Semi's were the best. All the view, none of the responsibility. Never in a really sporty car but a VERY high end Lexus once. Some that shouldn't be on the road, too many to count. A few roads that were barely roads and a couple horse and buggies. One of those big mining trucks with the wheels that dwarf a man probably the most unique.

As a kid trying to get around town it was useful. You had to be prepared in case of a pervy or whatever.
Bored people looking for someone to talk to, Some of the most hospitable people on the planet. It was a great way.

Semi's were the best. All the view, none of the responsibility. Never in a really sporty car but a VERY high end Lexus once. Some that shouldn't be on the road, too many to count. A few roads that were barely roads and a couple horse and buggies. One of those big mining trucks with the wheels that dwarf a man probably the most unique.
Back in the '70s it seemed there was hitchhiker at many an on ramp to a freeway with a sign for the final destination. My best friend was from a big Irish family and he needed to get to college on his own, hitching was a necessary mode of transportation.

Inspired by a discussion of most remote big city, I got this curiousity how to get from Llhasa to Katmandu. Here's what google gave me.
nepal.png

Last edited:
Those pesky Himalayans
IDK, I thought they're mostly the other direction? I'm not sure why they have to swing that far south.
Little of it is on google streetview. I zoomed in on some of it. Some crazy remote places on those roads. Why the hell are there even people some of those places?
Friendship-Highway.jpg

Last edited:
IDK, I thought they're mostly the other direction? I'm not sure why they have to swing that far south.
Little of it is on google streetview. I zoomed in on some of it. Some crazy remote places on those roads. Why the hell are there even people some of those places?
Friendship-Highway.jpg
Is interesting that technically many of the borders in that region aren't actually marked. And the disputes will go unsettled because no one actually goes to some of the areas.

And the Hindu Kush continues further west into Afghanistan and surrounding areas. Part of the problem is on the Chinese side in Tibet there aren't a lot of roads that would take you close to the western border. The one major road China built included the 17000ft stretch at one point. Which is unheard of. Even in the US the highest purpose built road for through transit is maybe 11k.

Interesting topic. Over Labor Day weekend we decided to go to Put In Bay. We had never been so we rented a condo in West Harbor on Catawba, and took our boat over to PIB. I live east of Columbus, in Licking county and I was a bit confused when I looked at the shortest distance, included pretty much only 2 lane state routes or county roads. It was sort of a "you can't get there from here" kind of a moment. So to your point, I went through some towns that I had heard of but never been through, and many that I had never heard of. It occurred to me that this was how it was before the interstate system was developed. Pretty cool but a bit of a pita pulling a 25' boat.

We took a slightly different route back and ate lunch at this place. Cool little cafe, and a farmers market in Bucyrus.

https://thepickwickplace.com/?

The 13 hour flight time seems awfully long to me. Wonder what the straight line distance is? What was the estimated driving time?
estimated driving time looks like a couple weeks, lol.

I hadn't noticed that. No way it takes 13 hours, you're right. Google messed up.

Now that the border crossing is open at Gyirong Port, there are two main ways to get from Nepal to Tibet, discounting a flight to China and taking the train. For direct routes, you can go overland, taking the 1,300 kilometer journey from Kathmandu to Lhasa, which normally takes anywhere upwards of 7-8 days. Or you can take a flight, direct, from Tribhuvan International Airport to Lhasa Gonggar International Airport, which is a faster and more convenient way to get to Lhasa.

FLigth I saw was 90 minute for a very reasonable $250. That 7-8 day drive though got to be wild. I'd do that.

But then you have to rent a car and you cannot schlep down all that beach gear needed for the week. For anyone that has made the trek the back roads of the Carolinas are nothing compared to the VA/WV boarder on a Saturday in July & August. The back up through the tunnels is insane and if you get off of I-77 you are going through the heart of "Deliverance" land. The wife felt more afraid for her life with OH plates in this place then in the ghettos of Cleveland.

Have probably done it at least 60 times.

Tip # 1: return on Sunday, not Saturday, and you will almost always miss the backups at the tunnels.
Tip # 2: if you do the back roads thru WV, make sure you have a completely reliable vehicle that is full of gas :)

Speaking of hair raising drives... So the Mrs and I went to Costa Rica this past March and had a great time. Very cool country with incredible animal life and some of the best beaches in the world. It is also easily the safest of the Latin American Countries with a great infrastructure that incudes the ability for Western folks to even drink the tap water. BUT they have no clue when it comes to roads and driving. I mean there is not 1 highway in the entire country and traffic lights are sometimes considered optional. Also the roads are used by any and everything including farm animals and pedestrians. Also maybe 50% are paved or wide enough to support 2 vehicles going in opposite directions. The below video gives you a little taste of what it was like driving in this country, (the conditions at the :50 are very common):

What part of Costa Rica did you go to? We took our boys last Christmas there and split our time between Arenal and Tamarindo. Loved the country, the people were great. And you are right, driving was interesting to say the least.

Semi's were the best. All the view, none of the responsibility. Never in a really sporty car but a VERY high end Lexus once. Some that shouldn't be on the road, too many to count. A few roads that were barely roads and a couple horse and buggies. One of those big mining trucks with to Daytthe wheels that dwarf a man probably the most unique.
I did a lot of hitchhiking in the seventies. Usually just trying to get from Miami U. to Dayton on weekends to see my girlfriend. Mostly good people picked me up, but an occasional weirdo, like you said. Always a risk.

My favorite personal hitchhiking story goes the other way, when I picked up a barefoot, 'luded-out hippie chick, somewhere in Dayton. I asked "where to?". She said "the Dayton Outlaws clubhouse." I was only about 17. Quite nervously I said, "How about if I drop you off a couple blocks away?" She laughed and said, "Dude, don't freak out, they're cool!" I dropped her off a couple blocks away.

Click baiting reminded me of a place where you can get many things Europe, so much cheaper and with more attention.

Slovenia. North is a bit of Alps (Triglav). Coast along the Adriatic, so beaches and seaside cafes. The food, if you like sea and shell is amazing, so a bit of Italy. The main city Lubiana has that Bavarian/Austrian feel and the caves and Predjama Castle near Postoja have particularly interesting histories. All with a Slavic bent. Rent an apartment for nothing along that entire eastern coast into Croatia. Doesn't get expensive until Dubrovnik, which became a thing with GOT.

Last edited:
What part of Costa Rica did you go to? We took our boys last Christmas there and split our time between Arenal and Tamarindo. Loved the country, the people were great. And you are right, driving was interesting to say the least.
Sorry, just saw this.

We did the Pacific coast for 4 days, Jaco & Manuel Antonio. Did surf lessons, which was not a good idea for someone my age, ATVs and the national park in Manuel Antonio. Very cool area and I have never swam in the Pacific that was warm so that was neat. Only caveat for anyone is that the surf in the Pacific in Costa Rica is no joke, plenty of rip tides and it is a volcanic area so the sand is plenty hot and there are these hidden jagged out croppings that are nasty even on protected feet.

Then went up into the rain forest and did La Fortuna for 4 days. Checked out and swam in the lagoon under the La Fortuna waterfall, did the hanging bridges, and went to a place with hot springs. Didn't see as much cool wild life like the coast and it rained hard every afternoon but the land and the climate were nothing like I have seen before.

One callout is a couple cultures are taking over the area and trying to get them headed in a certain direction. Along the coast it really is surfing culture and along with plenty of folks from Cali there are plenty of folks from Australia, very laid back vibe. Up in the rain forest we encountered Israelis & Swiss. We found out that it is a no extradition country so many folks go there to get away from something; people in other Latin American countries say this is where some dubious folks with money head if they are running from something. Also the Swiss got them to add a VAT Tax to pay for infrastructure upgrades which is basically a 13% tax on any and everything. This has created a cash based society to avoid paying this tax so our air B&Bs and many of the attractions were cash only type things.

I keep seeing low prices for former yugoslavian pieces and Albania. I'd really like to get a whole month there, with a couple weeks in Turkey.

I keep seeing low prices for former yugoslavian pieces and Albania. I'd really like to get a whole month there, with a couple weeks in Turkey.
A few years ago my son did a tour in Turkey for the USAF. I was excited for him to see some of the country on leave since I’ve always heard how amazing it is. Unfortunately, it was so dangerous for US citizens at the time all family members were sent back to the states and military personnel were restricted to their bases.

A few years ago my son did a tour in Turkey for the USAF. I was excited for him to see some of the country on leave since I’ve always heard how amazing it is. Unfortunately, it was so dangerous for US citizens at the time all family members were sent back to the states and military personnel were restricted to their bases.
I've been in so many places in which warnings were posted, yet been treated terrifically. Most are hungry for tourist dollars. Of course, it only takes running into one wrong person... When I was in that former Yugo, blue hats (UN troops) security rode all the transportation/ We passed houses with bullet holes. There was an Israeli, Iranian (if I recall correctly), a Brit, me and an African UN trooper on the bus. All the others wanted to talk about was World Cup. Had a simlar situation in China, hiking up a mountain only it was an Israeli, Iragi and some French guys along with a couple of us Americans. This was shortly after Tienanmen. Of the thousands of people come across and met, one old fart at a tourist site calling us "devils." The locals sad he was nuts. Everyone else treated us well and I have one of my best stories about the Israeli and the Chinese on a train.

The thing is, to keep mouth shut. Military as opposed to civilians service have a different obligation and honestly, they don't hide well. One, they tend to have muscles and short hair-cuts. Don't have enough sense to ditch the cloths and go to market to buy local. And tend to give up their seats on crowded buses, say "yes mame," or "yes sir." lol. That can be endearing but also ID's.

I've been in so many places in which warnings were posted, yet been treated terrifically. Most are hungry for tourist dollars. Of course, it only takes running into one wrong person... When I was in that former Yugo, blue hats (UN troops) security rode all the transportation/ We passed houses with bullet holes. There was an Israeli, Iranian (if I recall correctly), a Brit, me and an African UN trooper on the bus. All the others wanted to talk about was World Cup. Had a simlar situation in China, hiking up a mountain only it was an Israeli, Iragi and some French guys along with a couple of us Americans. This was shortly after Tienanmen. Of the thousands of people come across and met, one old fart at a tourist site calling us "devils." The locals sad he was nuts. Everyone else treated us well and I have one of my best stories about the Israeli and the Chinese on a train.

The thing is, to keep mouth shut. Military as opposed to civilians service have a different obligation and honestly, they don't hide well. One, they tend to have muscles and short hair-cuts. Don't have enough sense to ditch the cloths and go to market to buy local. And tend to give up their seats on crowded buses, say "yes mame," or "yes sir." lol. That can be endearing but also ID's.
But this wasn’t a travel warning. Much more serious than that. It was disappointing.

But this wasn’t a travel warning. Much more serious than that. It was disappointing.
I bet. It can be an unpredictable mess. Rather hardline Pres. even though they're NATO. I TRY to get off the main trails and was treated well in all the neighborhood cafes I stopped at. Like any city though, get too far off city center and things can change quickly. Get too far east into the country, past the usual tourist stop and the place changes quickly. That's where USA (R.I.P) was stationed for a bit).

Hopefully it can be in your family's future. Any fan of history will find much of interest..