Transfers and player movement

Mostly SW Ohio but some NE Ohio periodically - I'm not against good and consistent coaching. But every possession and every minute of the game seems coach controlled. And agree with the point above, kids are afraid to ride the pine if they even attempt to improvise or react, even though when it may have been the right decision.

Set after set after set. Sets are fine and needed, but so is the ability to read and react.
So you saying when the set breaks down and stops, because its a set not a continuity, that they reset and run another set? These schools you see that need more leeway at a size disadvantage or athleticism disadvantage? Anyone have any data as to how long the average possession in HS basketball in the state of Ohio by chance?

Its not so much the coach won't let them use their skills it is they are afraid too.. A lot of the AAU coaches put up with the mistakes and turnovers. High school coaches will sit a kid if it happens too often. That makes a lot of these kids nervous during the high school season so they don't play as free and open.
Aren't most AAU clubs 7-10 kids? VS a HS program with 30+ boys all working and competing for minutes? A club that plays 4 tourneys a month taking an L in pool play as detrimental as losing regular season games that have a direct effect on the seed in the 1 tournament you get?

Great point, and part of the issue. They don't feel like they can use their talents to improvise and react every now and then. So much is so scripted and coach controlled. Almost to every possession.
Really stupid. Sounds like your boy got a lot of bench time. You think the nervous types who lack confidence are going to play in college? Lol.

Mostly SW Ohio but some NE Ohio periodically - I'm not against good and consistent coaching. But every possession and every minute of the game seems coach controlled. And agree with the point above, kids are afraid to ride the pine if they even attempt to improvise or react, even though when it may have been the right decision.

Set after set after set. Sets are fine and needed, but so is the ability to read and react.
A lot of the younger coaches are moving away from the set after set after set and doing more of a pro style spread motion PNR. I used to complain a lot about the Princeton offense and the way some schools played but I do have a great appreciation for the teams that can play both styles because there are elements of each that teach IQ and create great players

Really stupid. Sounds like your boy got a lot of bench time. You think the nervous types who lack confidence are going to play in college? Lol.
I will say I know some "nervous" types that lacked confidence that had great careers but had they had the confidence to play up to their abilities they'd been even better and more successful with the game

Aren't most AAU clubs 7-10 kids? VS a HS program with 30+ boys all working and competing for minutes? A club that plays 4 tourneys a month taking an L in pool play as detrimental as losing regular season games that have a direct effect on the seed in the 1 tournament you get?
Taking an L in pool play is worse than taking an L in a regular season high school game. The one tournament you get in high school isn't seeded like an AAU tournament.

A lot of the younger coaches are moving away from the set after set after set and doing more of a pro style spread motion PNR. I used to complain a lot about the Princeton offense and the way some schools played but I do have a great appreciation for the teams that can play both styles because there are elements of each that teach IQ and create great players
Agree.

And this is not to say I don't like sets or coach involvement. Both are super important. I also love the efficiency and smoothness of a team that can execute.

Yes, alot of the older coaches are set in their ways, and really don't teach elements like offensive play-making because it's not required with the way they run their offense. It's one of the main reasons I hope to see a shot clock one day. It will require coaches to change a bit, because you won't have the time to get into another set. Kids will have to learn to create much more frequently in clock winding down situations.

Taking an L in pool play is worse than taking an L in a regular season high school game. The one tournament you get in high school isn't seeded like an AAU tournament.
If it's the one and only end all be all aau tourney, then ok. When you squeezing in 4 tourneys a month, for three straight months, I disagree.

Small colleges have no chance at any players at big AAU events? You’re delusional. So are you implying that every player at big AAU events is mid major D1 or higher? Highly doubt that
At the big time sneaker tournaments it is absolutely true…every kid there is a D1 prospect…if they weren’t, they wouldn’t be there. Big name national travel clubs , which are the ones that play these events, don’t take anything but the best of the best. And college coaches and scouts come by the bus load. To be fair there are smaller regional tournaments that local D2 and D3 coaches attend…and many small schools will go to state tourney games…but the big name events are power 5…and now with NIL the money is absolutely bonkers

My guess is you coached a high-level AAU team. For every one team like yours there is 5 that go the other way. Go watch a tournament at Courts 4 Sports and it is obvious.
Nope…my teams were mid level and we kept it that way. We had some good players over the years and a few that played small college ball but in no way could we compete with Lebron’s program etc…I did get to see some of those caliber teams and it was fantastic and eye opening.

Nope…my teams were mid level and we kept it that way. We had some good players over the years and a few that played small college ball but in no way could we compete with Lebron’s program etc…I did get to see some of those caliber teams and it was fantastic and eye opening.
Alot of people don't have a clue of the vast difference in speed, agility, quickness, size, strength and explosiveness of a D1 athlete. It's significantly different, and if you have a question on whether a kid is or not, he's likely not.

Well respected HS coaches are sought out and listened to. AAU is a convenient way to watch a lot of kids play, but for the most part the coaching is a joke. They will use an AAU coach, but respect what they have to say, not so often. In the fall, college coaches are still in HS open gyms talking with the kid’s coach. There are a lot of exceptions.
Most high school coaches have some experience coaching AAU….Coach Price has been with Shining Stars as long as I can remember

Alot of people don't have a clue of the vast difference in speed, agility, quickness, size, strength and explosiveness of a D1 athlete. It's significantly different, and if you have a question on whether a kid is or not, he's likely not.
That is spot on! When you see it it is almost jaw dropping….I am from PA and saw Kobe Bryant in high school…nuts…I saw Jim Furyk shoot a course record, when he was a sophomore and I played against Jeff Lebo who went on to be a 4 year starter at North Carolina…he made me look like my feet were glued to the court!

If it's the one and only end all be all aau tourney, then ok. When you squeezing in 4 tourneys a month, for three straight months, I disagree.
Creek and Fairmont finished one game below 500 and at 500 respectively last year. They were the 3 and 4 seeds in their districts last year. You go 500 or below in pool play you are playing in the silver bracket with the other also rans.

So you saying when the set breaks down and stops, because its a set not a continuity, that they reset and run another set? These schools you see that need more leeway at a size disadvantage or athleticism disadvantage? Anyone have any data as to how long the average possession in HS basketball in the state of Ohio by chance?
The time of possession comes up everytime shot clock comes up. I have looked back at some of our games and concluded we average close to 60 possessions a game. If the other team has 60 as well that is 120 possessions. So were talking real close to 15 seconds per possession.

Against tougher competition reduce possessions to 40 per team. So 80 per game is around 22 seconds per.

Here's my issue with some of what's being said here about AAU coaches.
Of the guys who are head varsity coaches in this area that were mentioned outside of Mike Price.
1. They're coaching their kid
2. You mentioned some of the most infamous HS talent stackers in the area lol

There's plenty of guys who're assistants and at lower levels at many programs who coach some sort of AAU team, and those guys are often utilized to get kids in or keep kids from leaving at said HS program. Not many head varsity coaches around doing it for the goodness of their own heart. It's to either help their own kid or some sort of "gain" is involved for them. Are they still trying to help the kid, yes but for the second something is involved for them and that's why they get a bad rep.

Here's my issue with some of what's being said here about AAU coaches.
Of the guys who are head varsity coaches in this area that were mentioned outside of Mike Price.
1. They're coaching their kid
2. You mentioned some of the most infamous HS talent stackers in the area lol

There's plenty of guys who're assistants and at lower levels at many programs who coach some sort of AAU team, and those guys are often utilized to get kids in or keep kids from leaving at said HS program. Not many head varsity coaches around doing it for the goodness of their own heart. It's to either help their own kid or some sort of "gain" is involved for them. Are they still trying to help the kid, yes but for the second something is involved for them and that's why they get a bad rep.
Exactly - perks of the job is having the relationships with the AAU world and other coaches is land your own kid a spot on a good AAU team. A ton of coaches (varsity and assistants) use this to their advantage.

Higgins,Adkins and I’m sure a few more HS Coaches have some type of AAU Coaching experience.
Sure, but I think most is a big exaggeration. Price is a great and welcome addition to the whole AAU thing, but I wonder sometimes if that helps Oak Hills basketball. Maybe it does, but for many years his own players could not play on the teams he and his assts coached. I know the rules have changed.

Sure, but I think most is a big exaggeration. Price is a great and welcome addition to the whole AAU thing, but I wonder sometimes if that helps Oak Hills basketball. Maybe it does, but for many years his own players could not play on the teams he and his assts coached. I know the rules have changed.
Each varsity head coach in the GMC has coached AAU at some point with the exception of sycamore and colerain bc I am unsure about their coaches
Kings Walnut Little Miami Milford Winton Woods St X Taft Woodward Withrow West High Clark Aiken Hughes Gamble Summit all of their head coaches have coached AAU
That's a lot of schools in the are whose head coach have been AAU coaches at some level and some point and that is just the ones I know off top of my head and that weren't already named like Ricardo Willie and Gentry I am sure there are more

Having coached on both sides. High school and AAU there are different play styles in both.

Ive coached against some really good set driven teams like Ohio Buckets, Grand Rapids storm and some of the TNBA teams and Midwest teams out of Cinci. Then coached some really well conceptual style offenses like some TNBA teams, All-Ohio teams and Ohio Basketball club teams.

I always found it was harder to coach against conceptual teams that ran sets after timeouts and after some dead balls. That to me was what I believed the best coaches were doing. Combining both styles. Understanding the power of conceptual offense and balancing that with sets designed to get specific looks takes really good coaching.

AAU was a great experience for the 8 years I was involved.

I always found it was harder to coach against conceptual teams that ran sets after timeouts and after some dead balls. That to me was what I believed the best coaches were doing. Combining both styles. Understanding the power of conceptual offense and balancing that with sets designed to get specific looks takes really good coaching.
Brook Cupps is especially good at this. Runs great stuff, but always give some freedom for these very good players to create.