Transfer rules

tennman

Could someone please explain transfer rules/penalties? Difference if you transfer to private, difference in moving or just signing up to an open enrollment school?

Thank you

Could someone please explain transfer rules/penalties? Difference if you transfer to private, difference in moving or just signing up to an open enrollment school?

Thank you
Not sure if this will be helpful, but Wadsworth's varsity 157 (who began the season) lives in Medina and was at St V last season. He was not allowed to wrestle events after the first semester. Luckily he is a junior. This is what I was told by more than one Wadsworth person so take it FWIW. If this post is incorrect I'm sure someone will let us know. LOL!

you have to sit half a season in every sport you played the previous year.
Kid at Rootstown had to go through this just a couple years ago.

Had to sit out both 2nd half of football and wrestling. It was appealed for wrestling (don’t know their basis) but OHSAA stuck to the rule in that case.

Even if you move I believe there is a mileage distance as well. Not exactly sure how many miles it is you must move from you original school.

Even if you move I believe there is a mileage distance as well. Not exactly sure how many miles it is you must move from you original school.
There's not. As long as your permanent residence is in that district you are fine. There has been cases of people buying a second home and making that one their "permanent" residence.

There's not. As long as your permanent residence is in that district you are fine. There has been cases of people buying a second home and making that one their "permanent" residence.
Exactly. You can move 1 mile down the road into the next district and be eligible. The mileage rule applies to in-season transfers. Let's say a kid starts the season playing for Cincinnati Moeller and his family moves to Chardon. He would be immediately eligible to play because the move was over a 50 mile radius.

I believe if you move after the season has started. Probably after competing, then I thinks it’s has to be 50 miles from the school district. This was the rule last I checked. But if you move before season starts (which I lean as in not competing in match, preview, scrimmage) then living in any other school district would be good.

Not anything I will ever be concerned with but my suggestion is that, before believing anything on Yappi, you should really contact the OHSAA and find out the specifics for your individual situation. They are the folks who make and enforce the rules. Anytime you have weight or eligibility questions, they are the only people to ask.
Just my $.02.

Not anything I will ever be concerned with but my suggestion is that, before believing anything on Yappi, you should really contact the OHSAA and find out the specifics for your individual situation. They are the folks who make and enforce the rules. Anytime you have weight or eligibility questions, they are the only people to ask.
Just my $.02.
Absolutely.
But I believe that the OHSAA doesn’t deal with parent questions; only questions from AD’s or principals.

So, if a parent or student/athlete has a problem with the school and needs to transfer (ex : bullying within the school), the parent has to approach the principal and request for them to get a ruling on transfer eligibility.
So now, the principal doesn’t agree with the parent and doesn’t want to appear as though his school is out of control on his watch. The principal believes that the family just wants to go play at another school.

Does this sound like a real scenario?
Can we see the conflict of interest?
Or am I totally off my rocker?

There are guys that do interpretation of rules but you have to email them. I would hope no one bases their decision off a yappi forum but it could be a starting point to inquire or at least check unless posted by CrimsonBlooded then you can bank it! Basically when I post it then the ref will award 3 NF and go ahead and hit your next tilt!

Absolutely.
But I believe that the OHSAA doesn’t deal with parent questions; only questions from AD’s or principals.

So, if a parent or student/athlete has a problem with the school and needs to transfer (ex : bullying within the school), the parent has to approach the principal and request for them to get a ruling on transfer eligibility.
So now, the principal doesn’t agree with the parent and doesn’t want to appear as though his school is out of control on his watch. The principal believes that the family just wants to go play at another school.

Does this sound like a real scenario?
Can we see the conflict of interest?
Or am I totally off my rocker?
In those scenarios, which do occur, you can also request a ruling from the AD/Principal of the school you want to go to.