Total Solar Eclipse 2024

In most areas, overhyped hysteria.

Some places undeniably will have traffic nightmares, but so many 'stories' and 'reports' I have seen over the past year are hanging onto the nearly 50k- 100k extra people coming to the immediate area. Not every town in this totality is going to see close to that, but that seems to be what many people are hanging onto.

At the end of the day, both camps will be right. Some place wil be inundated, others not so much. I just hope many businesses do not over extend themselves and be caught holding the bag with worthless merchandise after the fact.

As I type this, was just annoucned that right around the corner COSI will be setting up on the beach area so...who knows!!!!!!!!
No one is spreading hysteria. There was a total solar eclipse in the US in 2017 and states in the path of totality in 2024 studied what happened in those states. Traffic issues were the #1 topic. Ohio sent a team to Tennessee in 2017 and it took 5 hours to get there and 17 hours to get home. In every location people left right after the end of totality. Thousands of cars hitting the same roads at the same time. State and local officials are trying to help you prepare for what could come. Many, but not all, communities saw their population double or triple in 2017. With weather improving in Ohio making us one of the best places to view the Eclipse we could see even bigger numbers than expected. I'm on the Delphos Eclipse Committee and we're prepared to host thousands of visitors coming here from the west on Rt. 30. We plan to Welcome them, host them, feed them, sell them souvenirs and send them home with lighter wallets.

I agree. Some places will be swamped. Multiple reports of 2017 eclipse with extra long travel times, people running out of gas, etc. However some reported that their small town was the equivalent of a concert or sporting event.
I think ( No expert opinion - just spitballing) that small towns in the path, away from major freeways or bigger cities should be fine
I think the major cities and their surrounding areas are toast. Especially a decent size suburb whose got activities planned
In 2017 I left Middletown headed for Hopkinsville, KY at 430 in the morning. Got to Louisville in no time. As soon as I got on I-65 south it was a parking lot. Got as far as Bowling Green, about an hour away, with about 20 minutes to spare. Pulled into a Meijer parking lot and watched in from there. Just like when they predict 8 inches of snow. Better to be prepared than not.

Made the trip up to Delaware Ohio. Looking forward to seeing this unless NC State wins tonight. Then I’m off to Phoenix.

No one is spreading hysteria. There was a total solar eclipse in the US in 2017 and states in the path of totality in 2024 studied what happened in those states. Traffic issues were the #1 topic. Ohio sent a team to Tennessee in 2017 and it took 5 hours to get there and 17 hours to get home. In every location people left right after the end of totality. Thousands of cars hitting the same roads at the same time. State and local officials are trying to help you prepare for what could come. Many, but not all, communities saw their population double or triple in 2017. With weather improving in Ohio making us one of the best places to view the Eclipse we could see even bigger numbers than expected. I'm on the Delphos Eclipse Committee and we're prepared to host thousands of visitors coming here from the west on Rt. 30. We plan to Welcome them, host them, feed them, sell them souvenirs and send them home with lighter wallets.
make sure the Creamery is open!!!! and the Rustic for Wings!!!!

In 2017 I left Middletown headed for Hopkinsville, KY at 430 in the morning. Got to Louisville in no time. As soon as I got on I-65 south it was a parking lot. Got as far as Bowling Green, about an hour away, with about 20 minutes to spare. Pulled into a Meijer parking lot and watched in from there. Just like when they predict 8 inches of snow. Better to be prepared than not.
Pretty much what I remember, especially that logjam in Louisville.

I think totality was scheduled for 2 PM that day? We left Columbus at 6 AM - Figured we'd make it into TN by 11:30, stop to gas up and eat, and just relax until it was time - wrong! :geek: After 7 hrs 15 mins we made it to an I-65 truck stop near Franklin KY, and realized that was our best bet.

Soon as totality was over we were in the car and moving - for 30 feet, then came to a dead-stop. Took us 90 minutes to get back onto I-65. I gather that folks on the freeway had just pulled over to watch, so the congestion was constant. Total drive home was close to 12 hours.

Honestly, I didn't think folks in America were all that interested in traveling to see it. Happy to stay home and watch from the safety of their backyard, sure. Certainly don't recall the hype like we've seen in the last month. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I remember, especially that logjam in Louisville.

I think totality was scheduled for 2 PM that day? We left Columbus at 6 AM - Figured we'd make it into TN by 11:30, stop to gas up and eat, and just relax until it was time - wrong! :geek: After 7 hrs 15 mins we made it to an I-65 truck stop near Franklin KY, and realized that was our best bet.

Soon as totality was over we were in the car and moving - for 30 feet, then came to a dead-stop. Took us 90 minutes to get back onto I-65. I gather that folks on the freeway had just pulled over to watch, so the congestion was constant. Total drive home was close to 12 hours.

Honestly, I didn't think folks in America were all that interested in traveling to see it. Happy to stay home and watch from the safety of their backyard, sure. Certainly don't recall the hype like we've seen in the last month. Lesson learned.
The last total solar eclipse in Ohio was 218 years ago so we have no experience with this. But there was a total solar eclipse in the US in 2017 and not that far away. I've been part of the Delphos Eclipse Committee and have read a lot of articles and watched a lot of forums on people in the 2017 path of totality telling us what happened there and what worked and what didn't. There are no guarantees but better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. I won't be around for the next one here in 2099 so gotta take advantage of this opportunity.

Lots of cool events going on Monday but rhe media and government fear mongering is making locals apprehensive about going to any of them.
If it's gonna be half as bad as people say why would I wanna go to any of these events if it'll take hours to get home?

I guess they are counting on all the outsiders to fuel this economic boom.
Locals do feel comfortable with Fri -Sunday events but monday......

Personally...I don't think it will.be any worse than when we have our fireworks night in July.

But we shall see.......

In the "know your audience" when doing a special event.....
Was at a microbrewery trying some of their newest creations and they were having a speaker come in and talk about the Eclipse.

So we said wth...we all stay.

Well....45 minutes in and he still wasn't to the Eclipse part....that's when we popped smoke and took off as it was a total buzzkill as he taught us adults as if he was in a grade school classroom

But the drinks and food truck was good!

Another overreach....
Food trucks already talking about packing up for the day as well as rhe ODNR exhibit at rhe Park and beach due to lack of people.....

But maybe rhe 20k will.show up tomorrow.

I know it's a crapshoot trying to predict how many people will show up to your town for these events. And the best thing to do is to get advice from those who went through it previously. But where are all the people? My town is on the line and I haven't really seen much uptick in the number of people around here. Are others seeing more people?

How much you charging per lawn chair? :cool:
He charges 3 White Claws.

Went over to the beach where COSI is set up.. crowd growing nicely...Philly a qtr full with at least a dozen states....to include Alaska.

So far a beautiful day
....shoulda out the damn boat in.

He charges 3 White Claws.

Went over to the beach where COSI is set up.. crowd growing nicely...Philly a qtr full with at least a dozen states....to include Alaska.

So far a beautiful day
....shoulda out the damn boat in.

Coming home from C-bus this morning traffic on 33 seemed heavier than normal. Saw some families who had claimed some spots at the rest area outside Huntsville.

Coming home from C-bus this morning traffic on 33 seemed heavier than normal. Saw some families who had claimed some spots at the rest area outside Huntsville.
Yea, def more traffic from 33 than normal.

Good crowds, would say 75% of the parkin spits taken along Indian Lake on the state lots. Got some grub on with food trucks and a growler and will have to say it's much less than what they were touting and less than our fireworks weekends.

The best part....a few places I saw that are trying to charge to park are empty. Way too many better, and free, places to.park!