Top recruit daring OHSAA to suspend him

Please stop with the lack of comprehension. If you think the current focus on self-promotion and financial benefit and the decisions made to those ends are the same as they have always been, you're an idiot.
Yeah self promotion is only new to this generation of high school kids.

FDCixleXsAI2Jox.jpg

Because one kid in the country on a cereal box is the same as 40 kids on the same team on Hudl, Twitter, etc. :rolleyes:

I think back to when I was in high school and all the coaching and high school sports involvement I have and I don't ever remember a kid whose #1 sport as football, ever not playing another sport because of wanting to solely focus on football. I can't say the same for other sports, but I can now see this happening with this 7 on 7 stuff now.

Because one kid in the country on a cereal box is the same as 40 kids on the same team on Hudl, Twitter, etc. :rolleyes:
I guarantee that cereal box was seen by more people than the number of views combined by those 40 kids on Hudl, twitter insta etc... for a season.

Besides, 40 kids on the team on Hudl? That's pretty much the whole team goes back to my point there will always be kids playing for fun and the small few get anything more out of it as it has always been. Making a Hudl video and sending it out is commonplace and it is fairly easy. It's not like they are rolling a VHS tape and splicing their highlights together. Most if not all high school teams encourage it.

Last edited:
I guarantee that cereal box was seen by more people than the number of views combined by those 40 kids on Hudl, twitter insta etc... for a season.
BFD. That was only one kid (and the only example of a HS athlete on a Wheaties box) -- which speaks directly to the increased prevalence of self-promotion these days.

Besides, you clearly don't understand how Speilman got on that box. Hint: it wasn't the purely self-directed promotion that is so common today.

BFD. That was only one kid (and the only example of a HS athlete on a Wheaties box) -- which speaks directly to the increased prevalence of self-promotion these days.

Besides, you clearly don't understand how Speilman got on that box. Hint: it wasn't the purely self-directed promotion that is so common today.
Only? Hate to break to you, but he wasn't even the first. A 14 year old high schooler named Steve Veltman was on a Wheaties box a year before Spielman and it wasn't the result of a contest. Speilman didn't turn it down or ask his teammates be included.

Let me explain how these highlights end up on Hudl, since I have had kids go through this fairly recently. Many teams put their game film on Hudl. This requires every player to create a Hudl account. Each week the players are required to watch the game film. (coaches monitor the time spent watching the film) While watching the film, they clip their highlights and create their film. They then post that and send out a notice. Your average high school player's highlight film is lucky to get more than 20 views on Hudl per clip. Most of those views are from family or friends. These kids know that.

Now I will explain why this "self promotion" is good for every kid and should be encouraged. My son's Junior season he was playing out of position for most of the season due a teammate getting injured. He did the whole Hudl thing like most kids. Highlights were not remarkable, but decent. Summer between his Junior and Senior year he got invited to visit a couple D3 schools. First school he visited they offered him a spot to play and talked with him about academic money they had available if he came to the school. He got at least 5 more offers due to his Hudl film. I only know of one coach that saw him play in person and contacted him immediately after the game. Had he not self promoted, I doubt he would have even been asked to visit. He was one of the many kids on his team playing for the enjoyment. Self promotion has more positives than negatives. If you look at the comments left on the social media "self promotions" most are from teammates encouraging their friend. Even some opponents chime in. Only the petty see their teammate's "self promotion" as something bad.

First, IDGAF about your kid. He should be pitied if anything; he has a lot to overcome.

Second, one might reasonably suppose that others on here know a whole lot more about how Speilman got his picture on the Wheaties box than you do.

Third, we're not talking about mandated Hudl accounts or average kids. We're talking about giving yourself a nickname, talking yourself up on Twitter, constantly changing schools in search of a brighter spotlight, turning a game into a lifestyle, etc.

But yeah, all of that was going on 40 years ago.

Only? Hate to break to you, but he wasn't even the first. A 14 year old high schooler named Steve Veltman was on a Wheaties box a year before Spielman and it wasn't the result of a contest. Speilman didn't turn it down or ask his teammates be included.

Let me explain how these highlights end up on Hudl, since I have had kids go through this fairly recently. Many teams put their game film on Hudl. This requires every player to create a Hudl account. Each week the players are required to watch the game film. (coaches monitor the time spent watching the film) While watching the film, they clip their highlights and create their film. They then post that and send out a notice. Your average high school player's highlight film is lucky to get more than 20 views on Hudl per clip. Most of those views are from family or friends. These kids know that.

Now I will explain why this "self promotion" is good for every kid and should be encouraged. My son's Junior season he was playing out of position for most of the season due a teammate getting injured. He did the whole Hudl thing like most kids. Highlights were not remarkable, but decent. Summer between his Junior and Senior year he got invited to visit a couple D3 schools. First school he visited they offered him a spot to play and talked with him about academic money they had available if he came to the school. He got at least 5 more offers due to his Hudl film. I only know of one coach that saw him play in person and contacted him immediately after the game. Had he not self promoted, I doubt he would have even been asked to visit. He was one of the many kids on his team playing for the enjoyment. Self promotion has more positives than negatives. If you look at the comments left on the social media "self promotions" most are from teammates encouraging their friend. Even some opponents chime in. Only the petty see their teammate's "self promotion" as something bad.
Coaches having players create their own Hudl highlights is an awful way to to it. Your coaches should be making the highlights, not the other way around.

First, IDGAF about your kid. He should be pitied if anything; he has a lot to overcome.
Damn, jealous of a kid. Just because he has probably accomplished more at a young age than you have your whole life doesn't mean you still can't catch up. Keep reaching for the stars one day you may catch one.
Second, one might reasonably suppose that others on here know a whole lot more about how Speilman got his picture on the Wheaties box than you do.
Did I shatter your beliefs by letting you know he wasn't even the first high schooler on a Wheaties box? besides: "Spielman was one of 6 winners for the Wheaties "Search for Champions" contest in 1984." Wasn't his box just regional?
Third, we're not talking about mandated Hudl accounts or average kids. We're talking about giving yourself a nickname, talking yourself up on Twitter, constantly changing schools in search of a brighter spotlight, turning a game into a lifestyle, etc.
But yeah, all of that was going on 40 years ago.
Yeah Lloyd Free became World B. Free a couple years ago. Kobe gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.
Well Twitter was not a thing 40 years ago. You really think no one ever made a call to a local newspaper or TV station to get some coverage for a kid BITD?
Kids transferred 40 years ago for a brighter spotlight. Lord knows enough people on here still harp on Moeller and the Faust era.

Since you don't like people giving themselves nicknames, I can only assume your Yappi nickname "Oil Filter" was earned from all the oil based lube your underwear filters.

These days you have about every kid from 9-12 grade creating reels. If you think coaching takes up a ton of time now, imagine a coach adding that to his plate on a weekly basis.
Been there, done that. It's the way it should be done. A kid has very little idea what college coaches are looking for in highlights. Every position coach was responsible for his group, it really didn't add too much more work when you were breaking down game film.

Been there, done that. It's the way it should be done. A kid has very little idea what college coaches are looking for in highlights. Every position coach was responsible for his group, it really didn't add too much more work when you were breaking down game film.
That makes sense using the position coaches.

I will say Hudl does a good job of telling the kids what to do. Not too long, best plays at the beginning etc... What I see that I like is when college coaches send out advice on how to do the film. Kids are more likely to listen to them.

Best case scenario would be to get AV type kids involved if your school has a club or classes.

I think back to when I was in high school and all the coaching and high school sports involvement I have and I don't ever remember a kid whose #1 sport as football, ever not playing another sport because of wanting to solely focus on football. I can't say the same for other sports, but I can now see this happening with this 7 on 7 stuff now.
If you watch the NFL Draft they typically let you know how many guys drafted were multi-sport athletes in high school and it is usually a heavy majority.

Yeah Lloyd Free became World B. Free a couple years ago. Kobe gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.
Free was reportedly first called "World" by a friend (i.e. he didn't bestow it upon himself). Kobe didn't start calling himself "Black Mamba" until well into his NBA career.

Try again.

You really think no one ever made a call to a local newspaper or TV station to get some coverage for a kid BITD?
There's a bit of difference in getting a kid's name in local rag's sports section and trying to create a national profile.

Kids transferred 40 years ago for a brighter spotlight.
Not to the extent that they do now.

Another step in the slow death of high school sports. Face it: sports are no longer an activity for the enjoyment of students. Rather, they've become another career program geared towards financial rewards for the selected few.
Yeah, you’re being dramatic here. Our football team consists of ~75 kids, none of whom will likely play in college or earn a dime because of football. Our team is consistently in the hunt for state titles, and the kids clearly enjoy what they are doing, or they wouldn’t continue to join the team. Maybe it’s different where you live?

Yeah, you’re being dramatic here. Our football team consists of ~75 kids, none of whom will likely play in college or earn a dime because of football. Our team is consistently in the hunt for state titles, and the kids clearly enjoy what they are doing, or they wouldn’t continue to join the team.
Context is everything. You're talking pee-wee ball. No one wants a 175 lb. lineman.

Maybe it’s different where you live?
It is. Because that's where the talent is.

And at the upper echelons, the game is changing. In large part, because the players (and the landscape in which they operate) are changing.

Free was reportedly first called "World" by a friend (i.e. he didn't bestow it upon himself). Kobe didn't start calling himself "Black Mamba" until well into his NBA career.

Try again.
Dude had various nicknames in the nba then one day says call me world. He never thought to use the name “his friend” gave him before that? Doesn’t matter when kobe did it the point was he did it.
There's a bit of difference in getting a kid's name in local rag's sports section and trying to create a national profile.
Back then the local rag was all you had. I guarantee the circulation for most local rags then were at least 100 times bigger than a large percent of kid’s social media following today. national attention? Even you are smart enough to know that talent gets you the attention not nicknames or a bunch or social media posts.

Not to the extent that they do now.
There probably is an uptick I’ll give you that but you also hear more about it today. You can look on here and read about a kid transferring from Monroe to Washington court house. Forty years ago that would happen in a vacuum.

Context is everything. You're talking pee-wee ball. No one wants a 175 lb. lineman.

And at the upper echelons, the game is changing. In large part, because the players (and the landscape in which they operate) are changing.
The ‘upper echelon’ is probably less than 5% of all schools and an even smaller percentage of players. Seems silly to make a blanket statement like ‘sports are no longer an activity for the enjoyment of students’ when that’s exactly what sports are for most students.

Upper echelon? Don’t you root for a D2 team?

You guys are arguing with a person in Oil Filter who said Cleveland Heigths should stop pimping out their players even though they have two power 5 kids. He hates on everything that doesnt involve Nate Moores jockstrap
Funniest thing about him and guys like him is no one outside of stark county has even thought about Massillon football and it’s relevancy since Justin Zwick committed to Ohio State in the 90s.

Funniest thing about him and guys like him is no one outside of stark county has even thought about Massillon football and it’s relevancy since Justin Zwick committed to Ohio State in the 90s.
Im not bout to get into that because I do like a good share of Massillon posters on here and have been down this road before but there is a lot of truth in your statement lol

Im not bout to get into that because I do like a good share of Massillon posters on here and have been down this road before but there is a lot of truth in your statement lol
I hear ya. It’s an older generation thing with this. The whole time I was in school Moeller was the gold standard for high school football in Ohio. Ask most people under the age of 50 they will probably say the same thing.