Top five players from your school

No it's not. This is a basketball thread. If I had wanted to include athletes who played basketball at McKinley and then went on to athletic success in other sports I could have done so. But this is a basketball list. When you only include basketball, McKinley is most definitely better.

Cat was referring to Grbac, Howard, and Fletcher as basketball players. All 3 of them could hang with any of McKinley's basketball players.

Gnadenhutten Indian Valley South: Bob Huggins, Harry Huggins, Larry Huggins, Bryan Lentz, Larry Laisure.

Bob Huggins has been so successful as a coach, it's easy to forget what a fine basketball player he was. As a coach though, you often see a guy go from job to another and then struggle. Not Huggins! From Walsh to Akron to Cincinnati to Kansas State and finally to West Virginia, the guy just wins! What an excellent college coach!

Cat was referring to Grbac, Howard, and Fletcher as basketball players. All 3 of them could hang with any of McKinley's basketball players.

On several final four teams over the years, I've noticed starting teams with players went on to DI baseball. I agree, can't count out players from the top fives just because they went on in other sports.

Toledo Scott

Melvin Newbern (Minnesota, Detroit Pistons)
Don Collins (Washington State, Atlanta Hawks, CBA)
Truman Claytor (Kentucky, Detroit Pistons)
Anthony "Scoop" Williams (U of Toledo)
Leshaun Howard (Syracuse, Hampton)

Toledo St. Francis

Todd Mitchell (Purdue, NBA)
Calvin Banks (USC)
Robierre Cullars (Toledo)
Larry Sykes (Xavier, NBA)
Kevin Baker (Minnesota/Toledo)

Bob Huggins has been so successful as a coach, it's easy to forget what a fine basketball player he was. As a coach though, you often see a guy go from job to another and then struggle. Not Huggins! From Walsh to Akron to Cincinnati to Kansas State and finally to West Virginia, the guy just wins! What an excellent college coach!

Well said, Irish 60. Bob Huggins was such a prolific scorer in HS that he is the all-time leading scorer at TWO schools........He played 2 seasons at Bowerston Conotton Valley and 2 at IVS.......he learned that pressure Defense from his dad, Charlie and sure puts it to good use at WVU.

Toledo Scott

Nice group. Top three are non-negotiable. I'd probably prefer Wolford (two state semi's, UT) in one of the other spots and just for some height, Derrick Ford.

How many different schools could we put Nate Miles in for? He ever stop at Scott?

Nice group. Top three are non-negotiable. I'd probably prefer Wolford (two state semi's, UT) in one of the other spots and just for some height, Derrick Ford.

How many different schools could we put Nate Miles in for? He ever stop at Scott?

I thought about Ford but Howard was 6'7" and Scoop was 6'6". Someone from that 1990 team has to be 1st team. Nakia Witcher too, who was TCL POY in 1993 and played at Wright State. Lonacy Utley, Wheeler, Scrutchins, White, Glover, Washington, Johnson, Baldwin, Chears, Green lots of good ones (3 of those guys started at Waite). Cannot remember the undersized PG that was lights out in the late 90's?

Nate Miles - Waite, Libbey, SJ.

Libbey could have a team with Miles, Buford, Trail, Palmer, and I know we could find someone else.

Toledo St. Johns

Brian Roberts- Dayton/Charlotte Hornets
Shane Komives- Cincinnatti/BGSU
Marc Loving- 2013 Mr. Basketball/OSU
B.J. Raymond- Xavier
John Amaechi- Penn State/NBA

Give me John Floyd (BGSU, Oakland), Denny Amhrein (Oakland,BGSU), Neshaun Coleman (Ohio State), Jay Larranaga (BGSU), BJ Hillesland (Notre Dame), Jake Holmes (BGSU), Jon Jakubowski (BGSU) as bench riders.

SJ has certainly had some "dudes".

Eastmoor high school established in 1956:

Gene Caslin - Capital, DIII all-american
Carlos Davis - OSU, Eastmoor all-time leading scorer
Antonio Watson - OSU/Professional overseas
Leon Rodgers - Northern illinois/Professional overseas
Kyrem Massey - Kent State/Professional overseas

Toledo Whitmer

Nigel Hayes - (Wisconsin current)
Ryne Smith - (Purdue, Overseas Pro)
Floyd Campbell - (Ball State)
John Kantner - (Michigan)
Craig Michaelis (Miami OH)

I thought about Ford but Howard was 6'7" and Scoop was 6'6". Someone from that 1990 team has to be 1st team. Nakia Witcher too, who was TCL POY in 1993 and played at Wright State. Lonacy Utley, Wheeler, Scrutchins, White, Glover, Washington, Johnson, Baldwin, Chears, Green lots of good ones (3 of those guys started at Waite). Cannot remember the undersized PG that was lights out in the late 90's?

Nate Miles - Waite, Libbey, SJ.

Libbey could have a team with Miles, Buford, Trail, Palmer, and I know we could find someone else.

undersized pg: two choices I can think of but not late 90s, Dennis Springs (2001) or Washington (I think) (2005?).

St. Edward HS

Steve Logan, PG, Cincinnati
Devlon Roe, PF, Mich St
Sam Clancy, PF, USC
Kipper Nichols, SF, Illinois
Myles Hamilton, G, Kennsaw St/CSU

I left two guys off, who were perhaps the most highly recruited, because they really didn't seem to impact wins as positively as those above.

Lee Walczuk - came to St. Eds as a Junior and the team got worse. Went to UCLA in Wooden years
Jawad Williams - McDonald's All-American, UNC, cup of coffee in NBA.

Portsmouth's top 5:

1. Larry Hisle (1965)......first team All-American.....went on to play in major league baseball with Philadelphia and Milwaukee
2. Mike Haley (1961).....forward on Trojans 1961 state champions.....Ohio University Hall of Fame.......coached 4 state titles with Dayton Roth and Dunbar
3. Jeff Lisath (1978)......forward on Trojans 1978 state champions......played at Miami of Ohio for coach Darrell Hedrick......coached Piketon to 2009 state tournament
4. Craig Tubbs (1979).....starting guard on 1978 state champions......was all time leading scorer in PHS history until record broken last year by Kyre Allison.....played at Miami of Ohio with Jeff Lisath
5. Bo Clemens (1974).....averaged 24 PPG senior year......played at Miami of Ohio

Off the bench:

Kyre Allison (2016)......Portsmouth's all time leading scorer with 1,688 points....currently playing at Marshall University
Damond Mannon (1992)......starting PG on Trojans 1990 state runnerup; played at Baylor University
Mike Lovenguth (1972).......scored 36 points vs. #1 Celina in 1972 regional semifinal......played at Kent State
Leroy Carr (1954)......top 10 all time scorer at Portsmouth......first player that I found to average 20+ PPG at PHS......played football at Ohio State
Patrick Tubbs (1988).....played PG on 1988 state champions.......played at Morehead State (KY)....brother of Craig Tubbs
Dion McKinley (2012)......first team All-Ohio in 2012......scored 42 points vs. Logan which broke Larry Hisle's previous record of 41.....starting center on Trojans 2012 state runnerup
Kyle Taylor (1984)......played on three 20 win teams for PHS......played college basketball at Xavier and Marshall

There are quite a few other notable players.......pretty good list for a small city like Portsmouth.

Toledo Whitmer

Nigel Hayes - (Wisconsin current)
Ryne Smith - (Purdue, Overseas Pro)
Floyd Campbell - (Ball State)
John Kantner - (Michigan)
Craig Michaelis (Miami OH)

Man, Nigel Hayes has been putting on a show so far in the NCAA tournament! He's fun to watch.

Jackson Polar Bears

Jami Bosley

Kyle Young

Mark Henniger

Mark Raabe

Evan Bailey

Shawn McCormick

Dirk blood

Brad DuPont

Josh Yanke

Matt Theil

Brodi haer

Andy hipsher

Bill stark

Many many great players ?? Hard to determine the best here You have to base it on the position they played and how many years they played

Last edited:
Well said, Irish 60. Bob Huggins was such a prolific scorer in HS that he is the all-time leading scorer at TWO schools........He played 2 seasons at Bowerston Conotton Valley and 2 at IVS.......he learned that pressure Defense from his dad, Charlie and sure puts it to good use at WVU.

This isn't true. Brandon Bailey is Conotton Valley's boys all-time leading scorer with 1,711 points.

Toledo Scott

I loved watching Chris Poellinitz play. Still one of the greatest moves I've ever seen on a fast break against Dunbar in the state semis. That was also one of my favorite all time games. Fantastic tradition at Scott.

Great thread!

Wilmington Hurricane

1. Jarron Cumberland - Cincinnati
2. Jaevin Cumberland - Oakland
3. Quintnen Rollins - Miami (now with Green Bay Packers)
4. Greg Nared - Maryland (Later Tiger Woods Nike Rep)
5. Gary Williams (Played football at Ohio State and Cincinnati Bengals)

Bench
Tony Berlin
Jordan Berlin - Ashland
Steve Cluxton - Rio Grande