Tony Dorsett

cjb5656

I thought about putting this one in the national section, but since he played a lot of his high school games close to the Ohio border, I put it in here.

Just curious if any of the old timers remember seeing TD play in high school, and if so, was it obvious he was going to be good enough to lead the nation in rushing as a college freshman and go on to a HOF career?

I thought about putting this one in the national section, but since he played a lot of his high school games close to the Ohio border, I put it in here.

Just curious if any of the old timers remember seeing TD play in high school, and if so, was it obvious he was going to be good enough to lead the nation in rushing as a college freshman and go on to a HOF career?
I remember Ara at NotreDame recruited him as a defensive back and he didn't go to NotreDame because he wanted to play running back.Also in 1973 NotreDame won the national championship going 11 and 0 and beat Pitt 31 to 10 and Dorsett that day ran for 305 yards but they mostly kept him out of the endzone.

We scrimmaged Hopewell. I was a sophomore and played some running back. Obviously it’s been awhile but I recall we knew about Dorsett and yeah he stood out. Now a Heisman trophy, national championship and NFL HOF…didn’t see that coming.

I had cousins who played for New Castle, Pa. and they were the ones that first told me about Mr. Dorsett as the Hurricanes played Hopewell every year then. I saw TD twice but the first time really can't be counted because he got hurt early in the game. It was in his junior season at Sharon, Pa. Hopewell came into the game undefeated, I think they were 8-0, and Sharon only had two wins. When Sharon scored first to take a 7-0 lead it was reported that was the first time all season that the Vikings trailed in a game.

Unfortunately, Mr. Dorsett suffered a concussion early in the 2nd quarter, playing defense, and didn't play the rest of the game so I didn't really see enough of him in that game to have much of an impression about how good he was or would be. Sharon went on to beat Hopewell 19-6 to give the Vikings their only loss of the year. IIRC without Mr. Dorsett Hopewell scored late in the game on about a 75 to 80-yard pass play. They couldn't generate much offense without him.

The next year I saw him at New Castle. The Hurricanes held him in check in the first half and they led Hopewell 12-0 at halftime. The Vikings took the 2nd half KO and led by Tony D, he had about a 35-40 yard run on the first play from scrimmage and then scored their first TD on a 15-yard run a few plays later, they cut the NC lead to 12-7.

The play I remember the most happened on NC's next possession. The Hurricanes were at about midfield when their QB tried to go deep and Mr. Dorsett intercepted the pass at about his own 20-yard line. You could see within about two steps that he was going to take it to the house. He went pretty much straight up the middle of the field 80 yards for the go ahead score. He just pulled away from everybody on the way to the end zone. At the very least one knew he definitely had D1 speed just watching that play. Hopewell added another TD and beat New Castle, 21-12. My cousin told me that New Castle's HC at the time, Lindy Lauro, said that Mr. Dorsett was a great RB but Lauro thought he was an even better DB. He did make a lot of tackles as he was all over the field defensively in that game. However, T.D. was a Parade All-American RB that season.

I think Hopewell played Sharon the week after the New Castle game. I didn't see that one but I do remember reading that T.D. set a Hopewell single game rushing record of 250 yards against the Tigers to avenge the prior year's only loss. Hopewell had one loss again in Mr. Dorsett's senior season. I'm pretty sure the loss was to Butler but in any case the Vikings were not eligible for the WPIAL championship either season as, IIRC, at that time in the WPIAL a team had to be undefeated to be eligible for the playoffs. Maybe Irwin20 can verify that. Also, as Irwin20 said how can one predict a Heisman Trophy and NFL HOF career for a HS player, no matter how good he looks at that level?

I had cousins who played for New Castle, Pa. and they were the ones that first told me about Mr. Dorsett as the Hurricanes played Hopewell every year then. I saw TD twice but the first time really can't be counted because he got hurt early in the game. It was in his junior season at Sharon, Pa. Hopewell came into the game undefeated, I think they were 8-0, and Sharon only had two wins. When Sharon scored first to take a 7-0 lead it was reported that was the first time all season that the Vikings trailed in a game.

Unfortunately, Mr. Dorsett suffered a concussion early in the 2nd quarter, playing defense, and didn't play the rest of the game so I didn't really see enough of him in that game to have much of an impression about how good he was or would be. Sharon went on to beat Hopewell 19-6 to give the Vikings their only loss of the year. IIRC without Mr. Dorsett Hopewell scored late in the game on about a 75 to 80-yard pass play. They couldn't generate much offense without him.

The next year I saw him at New Castle. The Hurricanes held him in check in the first half and they led Hopewell 12-0 at halftime. The Vikings took the 2nd half KO and led by Tony D, he had about a 35-40 yard run on the first play from scrimmage and then scored their first TD on a 15-yard run a few plays later, they cut the NC lead to 12-7.

The play I remember the most happened on NC's next possession. The Hurricanes were at about midfield when their QB tried to go deep and Mr. Dorsett intercepted the pass at about his own 20-yard line. You could see within about two steps that he was going to take it to the house. He went pretty much straight up the middle of the field 80 yards for the go ahead score. He just pulled away from everybody on the way to the end zone. At the very least one knew he definitely had D1 speed just watching that play. Hopewell added another TD and beat New Castle, 21-12. My cousin told me that New Castle's HC at the time, Lindy Lauro, said that Mr. Dorsett was a great RB but Lauro thought he was an even better DB. He did make a lot of tackles as he was all over the field defensively in that game. However, T.D. was a Parade All-American RB that season.

I think Hopewell played Sharon the week after the New Castle game. I didn't see that one but I do remember reading that T.D. set a Hopewell single game rushing record of 250 yards against the Tigers to avenge the prior year's only loss. Hopewell had one loss again in Mr. Dorsett's senior season. I'm pretty sure the loss was to Butler but in any case the Vikings were not eligible for the WPIAL championship either season as, IIRC, at that time in the WPIAL a team had to be undefeated to be eligible for the playoffs. Maybe Irwin20 can verify that. Also, as Irwin20 said how can one predict a Heisman Trophy and NFL HOF career for a HS player, no matter how good he looks at that level?
Thanks! Yeah, I just wondered if you could see the greatness in Dorsett back then…that he was on another level. In watching a show about Marcus DuPree, the old Texas coach Fred Akers said DuPree was a ten footer. As in you just needed to see ten feet of the old film on a reel to see he was on another level of ability.

My parents went to Hopewell. My dad always talked about Tony having a brother who was better growing up, but couldn't stay out of trouble and couldn't get his grades up enough to get into college.

Seen him in person his freshman year at Pitt. You could see the talent but he was so light ( Maybe 180 pounds soaking wet) you couldn't really tell if he would ever get big enough to take 4 years of College punishment let alone a long HOF NFL Career.

Seen him in person his freshman year at Pitt. You could see the talent but he was so light ( Maybe 180 pounds soaking wet) you couldn't really tell if he would ever get big enough to take 4 years of College punishment let alone a long HOF NFL Career.
When he got to college he was only 165lbs. His first couple of years with the Cowboys he weighed 185

When he got to college he was only 165lbs. His first couple of years with the Cowboys he weighed 185
During his time, Majority of Linemen were only 250-270. Players were typically smaller so being 185/190 as a RB wasn't too unusual. I don't think teams had the emphasis on strength training like they do now. Earl Campbell was HUGE and was only 225/230. That's like the typical size for guys now

During his time, Majority of Linemen were only 250-270. Players were typically smaller so being 185/190 as a RB wasn't too unusual. I don't think teams had the emphasis on strength training like they do now. Earl Campbell was HUGE and was only 225/230. That's like the typical size for guys now
I recall watching an Auburn game in the 70s and the announcer saying that their defensive line averaged 205 lbs. I can’t remember the year so I looked up their 1975 roster. Not 205 lb but very small by todays standards.
These are the size of WRs nowadays.

90Craig FlemingDE6-4224So.Atlanta, Ga.
91Rick TelhiardDT5-10229Sr.Mobile, Ala.
92Rocky KurlandDE6-4222So.Atlanta, Ga.
93Jim PittsDE6-1217Sr.Northport, Ala.
94Leo EllerbeeDT6-2220Jr.Columbus, Ga.
95John SmithDT6-2244So.Florence, Ala.
96Joe ShawDE6-4204So.Birmingham, Ala.
97Jeff McCollumDE6-1204Jr.Florence, Ala.
98Eddie DentonDE6-0211Jr.Birmingham, Ala.

I recall watching an Auburn game in the 70s and the announcer saying that their defensive line averaged 205 lbs. I can’t remember the year so I looked up their 1975 roster. Not 205 lb but very small by todays standards.
These are the size of WRs nowadays.

90Craig FlemingDE6-4224So.Atlanta, Ga.
91Rick TelhiardDT5-10229Sr.Mobile, Ala.
92Rocky KurlandDE6-4222So.Atlanta, Ga.
93Jim PittsDE6-1217Sr.Northport, Ala.
94Leo EllerbeeDT6-2220Jr.Columbus, Ga.
95John SmithDT6-2244So.Florence, Ala.
96Joe ShawDE6-4204So.Birmingham, Ala.
97Jeff McCollumDE6-1204Jr.Florence, Ala.
98Eddie DentonDE6-0211Jr.Birmingham, Ala.
Yes, I attend many high school football games and the size of the players are amazing. I remember being in high school in the early and mid 1970s and you may have had 6 to 8 players 200 + pounds. Now I go to games and all lineman it seems are 280 + and they are fast and can really move. You have running backs now who are as big if not bigger than lineman were 40 and 50 years ago.

Yes, I attend many high school football games and the size of the players are amazing. I remember being in high school in the early and mid 1970s and you may have had 6 to 8 players 200 + pounds. Now I go to games and all lineman it seems are 280 + and they are fast and can really move. You have running backs now who are as big if not bigger than lineman were 40 and 50 years ago.
They certainly grow them different. The size of my own kids would make me look small when I was their age.

I remember Ara at NotreDame recruited him as a defensive back and he didn't go to NotreDame because he wanted to play running back.Also in 1973 NotreDame won the national championship going 11 and 0 and beat Pitt 31 to 10 and Dorsett that day ran for 305 yards but they mostly kept him out of the endzone.
Just a few changes

The series has featured several memorable games. In 1975, Pittsburgh's Tony Dorsett rushed for a school-record 303 yards in a 34–20 victory at Pitt Stadium, still the most yards ever by an Irish opponent. The following year, he rushed for 181 yards on 22 carries in a 31–10 victory as No. 9 Pitt defeated No. 11 Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, en route to an undefeated season and a national championship.