Tommy John

LCL

Over 1,000 pitchers have had his surgery according to this article:

There is even a Tommy John Database. The man pitched until he was 46. With all this NIL stuff in college sports, does the man have a case to be compensated everytime "Tommy John Surgery" is mentioned in some form or another?

There is even a Tommy John Database. The man pitched until he was 46. With all this NIL stuff in college sports, does the man have a case to be compensated everytime "Tommy John Surgery" is mentioned in some form or another?
It's funny because I'm old enough to remember who Tommy John was, and I never remember him as a hard thrower. I think he had a surgery on his pitching arm, one of the first ever and he was able to return. Most guys back then who blew their arm out just retired.

No, it's nickname's that's been attached to the surgery because of his was the first successful return. Obviously different ending but sorta like Lou Gehrig:s Disease

No, it's nickname's that's been attached to the surgery because of his was the first successful return. Obviously different ending but sorta like Lou Gehrig:s Disease
Yes. When I tore my ACL in 1990, my doctor told me I was getting "Ickey Woods surgery". I think Woods tore his ACL in 1989 and they did the reconstruction surgery in early 1990. That surgery nickname only lasted a year or two...

PS, as a very early patient for the ACL reconstruction process, I can tell you it sucked back then. I've had multiple follow-up arthroscopic surgeries and it has never been a good knee. I walk like Fred Sanford and will be getting knee replacement surgery soon. They are much better at it now.