Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

He is coaching this upcoming season at the parochial, but already has agreed to coach at Rossford next year. Thus he is wanting said 8th grader to go to Rossford.

Sounds like that coach needs a burner phone.

My experience with high school recruiting is that 50% of it is done by the players/parents of a program encouraging their friends/AAU teammates to change schools. The other 49% is done by a parent peddling their kid and hinting at interest in making a change. Of that 49%,100% then turn around and brag that they are being recruited. 1% of the time the coach initiates it out of the blue.

Margin of error +/- 3%.

Sounds like that coach needs a burner phone.

My experience with high school recruiting is that 50% of it is done by the players/parents of a program encouraging their friends/AAU teammates to change schools. The other 49% is done by a parent peddling their kid and hinting at interest in making a change. Of that 49%,100% then turn around and brag that they are being recruited. 1% of the time the coach initiates it out of the blue.

Margin of error +/- 3%.
Usually. But 4% of these coaches think they are untouchable and just do what they have to do to get players… Mark this down at the end of March when there’s a new big guy in a black jump suit at Rossford.

Recruiting is how it’s got to be done now a days. 100% has to be done now with the current slate of head coaches and staffs that are out there actively recruiting kids like it is college athletics. It’s interesting how these AD’s turn the other way as well. Accountability to the rules for everyone would be nice.

A friend of mine has a pretty good 8th grade son…. He was reached out to by a parochial coach . Not to go to the coaches current school… but trying to get him to go to Rossford next year?
Do these ADs really promise jobs a year out in advance?
I'll bet your "friend" is thrilled that you're sharing this on a message board......lol. Don't be surprised if he doesn't pick up the tab next time you go out for a couple beers lol

I'll bet your "friend" is thrilled that you're sharing this on a message board......lol. Don't be surprised if he doesn't pick up the tab next time you go out for a couple beers lol
He really doesn't care.. It's not as if he's keeping it a secret and I dont think he's very fond of Coach's personality.

Would assume he’s talking about Kachmarik. Doesn’t make any sense though since he is AD at SFS. And why would Rossford hire a new coach and only give him 1 year?

Would assume he’s talking about Kachmarik. Doesn’t make any sense though since he is AD at SFS. And why would Rossford hire a new coach and only give him 1 year?
I'd bet on SFS AD pay not being all that, his Rossford ties (I think if he wasn't AD at SFS already he would've applied), and a desire to probably not get smacked into oblivion in the CHSL within the next couple years.

I'd bet on SFS AD pay not being all that, his Rossford ties (I think if he wasn't AD at SFS already he would've applied), and a desire to probably not get smacked into oblivion in the CHSL within the next couple years.
Thought I heard he applied last year.

Spot on. SF pay is garbage compared to Rossford and STRS and that travel to MI will get old quick. With that new indoor facility and Rossford having OE Jamie could do very well. Smart move if you ask me.

Spot on. SF pay is garbage compared to Rossford and STRS and that travel to MI will get old quick. With that new indoor facility and Rossford having OE Jamie could do very well. Smart move if you ask me.
I read it first as “Rossford having Old English” thought to myself. “Well everyone has Old English. Not just the Rossford gas stations”.

that travel to MI will get old quick
Travel isn't necessarily the driving big factor ... CHSL is quite the different beast when it comes to basketball. All three privates in the conference will most likely struggle against the competition in the Central, though come tournament time I'm sure it'll help somewhat.

Why wouldn’t he go to Rossford last year when the job opened up? Feels like a reach to think rossford is gonna one and done the new coach.

Why wouldn’t he go to Rossford last year when the job opened up? Feels like a reach to think rossford is gonna one and done the new coach.
SFS probably threw the AD job at him knowing he could definitely leave in a last ditch effort to retain him and keep relevancy in a non country club sport. With the whole Woolridge debacle/trying to find coaches/bad pay compared to Rossford plus more, I'm sure he wouldn't mind just going to Rossford at this point.

Still have open enrollment, still have ties to the area, bring the program back up after what'll be a gap year to forget (Preseason polls are only so much but being picked last behind some of these teams... ouch).

I'm sure the current coach wouldn't mind being relegated to the army of assistants clad in black that they had when Vorst was there, or maybe he'd rather go apply for that SFS job too.

SFS probably threw the AD job at him knowing he could definitely leave in a last ditch effort to retain him and keep relevancy in a non country club sport. With the whole Woolridge debacle/trying to find coaches/bad pay compared to Rossford plus more, I'm sure he wouldn't mind just going to Rossford at this point.

Still have open enrollment, still have ties to the area, bring the program back up after what'll be a gap year to forget (Preseason polls are only so much but being picked last behind some of these teams... ouch).

I'm sure the current coach wouldn't mind being relegated to the army of assistants clad in black that they had when Vorst was there, or maybe he'd rather go apply for that SFS job too.
Fair points. In the end this probably all he said she said.

I also think rossford wont be as bad as people are saying. Two incoming freshman who will instantly contribute. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them finish as high as 3 this year in the NBC

SFS to Rossford is pretty much a no brainer move. Especially if he can get really any type of paid position there. I’m sure they will make some space for him. In basketball they will not be able to compete in that league nor will anyone else unless they move down to the lower conferences. In the NBC all you have to do is get a few guys and you’ll compete. With OE “not Old English” he will be able to get those guys. Go back down to D2 where you will have a chance to make a run at a district again.

For him that is kind of a no brainer if the opportunity is open. As far as the coach being there for one year. That doesn’t matter at all. They will probably get smacked around this year which will “justify” getting a coach who has tons of experience, some district titles and a state run.

SFS to Rossford is pretty much a no brainer move. Especially if he can get really any type of paid position there. I’m sure they will make some space for him. In basketball they will not be able to compete in that league nor will anyone else unless they move down to the lower conferences. In the NBC all you have to do is get a few guys and you’ll compete. With OE “not Old English” he will be able to get those guys. Go back down to D2 where you will have a chance to make a run at a district again.

For him that is kind of a no brainer if the opportunity is open. As far as the coach being there for one year. That doesn’t matter at all. They will probably get smacked around this year which will “justify” getting a coach who has tons of experience, some district titles and a state run.
He will be running the new "R" mega training facility. That would actually be a heck of a gig.

I think most teams are getting prepared for opening night Friday. Whitmer scrimmages SJJ last night. SJJ won all quarters but Whitmer didn’t have West.
Anyone know how SJJ is going to be? I know they have Murphy but lost quite a bit obviously. And didn’t someone on here say that Kowalczyk’s kid went to Eastwood or something?

Kowalczyk’s kid went to Eastwood or something?
Kachmarik, wrong polish head basketball coach of a Toledo school on Bancroft, lol.

Anyone know how SJJ is going to be?
They'll compete. They have some solid guards and Joseph Taylor and Race Kowalczyk will be athletes for them along with Murphy. They allegedly smacked Whitmer in a scrimmage a couple days ago, albeit the Panthers were without West.

Fair points. In the end this probably all he said she said.

I also think rossford wont be as bad as people are saying. Two incoming freshman who will instantly contribute. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them finish as high as 3 this year in the NBC
Ehhh, Fostoria, Genoa and Oak Harbor should all be very good. I’d be shocked if Rossford finishes above any of them and Eastwood and Otsego will probably be competitive with those teams too I would guess. Maumee, Lake and Rossford will likely be battling for 5th or 6th.

Kachmarik, wrong polish head basketball coach of a Toledo school on Bancroft, lol.

They'll compete. They have some solid guards and Joseph Taylor and Race Kowalczyk will be athletes for them along with Murphy. They allegedly smacked Whitmer in a scrimmage a couple days ago, albeit the Panthers were without West.
Tomato…..Tomatoe 😂

Ehhh, Fostoria, Genoa and Oak Harbor should all be very good. I’d be shocked if Rossford finishes above any of them and Eastwood and Otsego will probably be competitive with those teams too I would guess. Maumee, Lake and Rossford will likely be battling for 5th or 6th.
Yeah, I followed Rossford‘s program pretty closely the past several years as I knew and even coached some of their kids. I also saw the lower levels, including JV etc. and they were not very good. Unless the two freshmen coming in are very good I can’t see this team being very good at all this year and not finishing dead last. Obviously I could be wrong, but the JV team last year was terrible. One of the worst I’ve seen. I mean they could barely even dress any underclassman on Varsity and barely play anyone off the bench that wasn’t a Senior (unless it was a complete blowout which Rossford did have many).