Tips

corkin

Does anyone have any sugestions on books I should look at to improve my overall game. I have never played in a real league on team but I went to a couple camps and loved it and plan on trying out for my H.S. team this year. I mostly need to work on Offense, cradeling especially. Thank you.

Does anyone have any sugestions on books I should look at to improve my overall game. I have never played in a real league on team but I went to a couple camps and loved it and plan on trying out for my H.S. team this year. I mostly need to work on Offense, cradeling especially. Thank you.
The very best thing you can do is go find a wall and throw the ball off it. Over and over. Do like 50 with the right hand, then 50 left hand. Switch it up, back & forth. Get closer to the wall and do them one-handed. Try it cross-handed. Behind your head. While running back and forth. Get creative. But do it.

Do it like 3 or 4 days a week. Set a routine and get used to sticking to it. By the end of summer you will be significantly better at almost all aspects of lacrosse, especially catching & throwing, and cradling. If you can catch and throw well with both hands, you will make almost any team around Cincinnati, and then the coaches can teach you the other stuff.

Good luck.

Agree with X-daddy. If you are new to the sport and still developing your stick skills you don't need books or tapes. You can search the net for some tips and technique (basic dodges, hand position, etc.) but your effort will be best spent just working with your stick in your hand.

For cradles, just take a ball and work both hands, try picking ground balls on the run and keeping it in your stick, and most importantly try switching hands back and forth until you can do this quickly without losing the ball. Wall drills or partner passing with both hands will get your passing and catching skills going- add speed to the passes until you are comfortable.

If you are looking for some team play look into summer or winter leagues either indoors or out offered by some of the local shops (I think Velocity offers indoor at Wall to Wall and there are leagues at Cinci Sports Mall). These will let you practice what you learn at camp and get comfortable with team play and passing/ catching on the run.

Good luck!

So you guys all live near Cinci, I live outside of Cleveland some of the league ideas wont work, but I'll look around me. Thank you for the tips.

Corkin check out Greater Cleveland Lacrosse. The name is a little misleading. The league is in Hudson. They have an indoor winter league and an outdoor summer league. Indoor league is starting now. Great place to improve your skills under game conditions.

www.greaterclevelandlacrosse.com

Good luck.