Tippecanoe vs Celina

Just got home from the game, what an impressive showing from Celina. Hard to pick which unit was more impressive, the offense or the defense.

Celina’s offense had little issue all night, putting together several long, sustained, TD-ending drives. The running and short passing game gave the Tippecanoe defense trouble all game long. The only negative is the multiple turnovers.

Celina’s defense was the story of the game. This one was never really in doubt after the blocked punt made it 14-0 in the 1st. Tippecanoe did have a couple nice drives of their own, but they were not as easy as Celina’s. Tippecanoe had to earn every first down they got, usually converting only after a hard fought 3rd or 4th down. Moving the ball against Celina’s defense took everything they had.

Tippecanoe had a particularly devastating drive at the end of the first half. After marching the length of the field, they were stopped deep in Celina territory and held scoreless. Although the score was just 20-6, you got the sense that the game was over after that drive stalled.

Frankly this was a dominating performance against top notch competition. I feel like a Celina team that plays like this can compete with anyone.

Last edited:
Congrats to Celina for the win but even more compliments to the fans that showed up. Celina almost filled the visitors side. Alot of noise came from that side and I loved it for the kids. Thanks for giving Sidney some good concession money. Tipp shame on you for the crowd you brought.

Congrats to Celina for the win but even more compliments to the fans that showed up. Celina almost filled the visitors side. Alot of noise came from that side and I loved it for the kids. Thanks for giving Sidney some good concession money. Tipp shame on you for the crowd you brought.
That's awesome. When fanbases are spoiled from success they still whow out in droves.

From what I recall...a former Coldwater QB is their OC now?
Buddy of mine became their strength and conditioning coach couple of yrs ago..

Extremely happy to see their success

That's awesome. When fanbases are spoiled from success they still whow out in droves.

From what I recall...a former Coldwater QB is their OC now?
Buddy of mine became their strength and conditioning coach couple of yrs ago..

Extremely happy to see their success
Yes, Celina’s OC is from Coldwater, not sure what position he played though.

Great facilities! Thanks for hosting!

His name is Jack Hemmelgarn. He’s a younger guy. It’s crazy what can happen when you bring in coaches that are used to winning and already have that mentality. Jack was on a coldwater team that won state 4 years in a row.
Went from coaching QB’s (before 2021 MS football I think) at Crestview in 2021 to Celina last year too it seems.

CW never won 4 in a row, only went to the finals 4 in a row. Those Hemmys...to include his dad, are all very intelligent folks.
His name is Jack Hemmelgarn. He’s a younger guy. It’s crazy what can happen when you bring in coaches that are used to winning and already have that mentality. Jack was on a coldwater team that won state 4 years in a row.

Solid year for the Red Devils. Season didn't look great to begin with but they improved greatly and played some of their best football towards the end of the year. Wasn't their best outing tonight, but Celina was going to be tough to beat either way.
No doubt about that. Can’t make mistakes against a good team like Celina. Even if we play that game perfect it’s a battle that comes down to the end. I hope Celina can keep their magical season going.

No doubt about that. Can’t make mistakes against a good team like Celina. Even if we play that game perfect it’s a battle that comes down to the end. I hope Celina can keep their magical season going.
According to Celina’s paper, both teams had 289 yards. Celina is very dangerous when given short fields. The blocked punt, plus two other first half scoring drives that started at the 50 and Tipp 45. We have had 3 games where we were outgained and then last night having the same yardage. We are hoping to keep the season going! Will need a flawless game next week, but we do well as the underdog.

You’re right, my bad. Yeah it looks like throughout his career, they won 3 out of their 4 appearances
Thank you for the correction.
Hate to be the one to break the rule, but Cavs won state 12,13,14 and 15 for 4 in a row. That would have been Jack’s 4 years of high school.
Thavoice is forever in your debt.

I was thinking about the illusive 5 titles in the row that MAC teams have failed to achieve. But CW and MSML got 4 in a row but couldn't get to 5 in a row.

Hats off to Celina last night. Heck of a team and very well coached. Devils dug a hole early with some bad mistakes you can't make in a regional semi-final game. Gabes is a hell of a player and to me that Celina defense is very stout. Tipp's offense has been ROLLING and to only allow 13 points is quite an accomplishment. This Celina team can beat Badin if they keep it rolling- I just hope they aren't riding a high from this week. I was so impressed by their crowd and support last night.

On another note, I am highly embarrassed of Tipp's crowd last night. 3rd straight year of making the regional semis so I guess fans are becoming spoiled? However, even spoiled fans come out to support in major games like that. Tipp's crowds in general this year have been awful. First 2 rounds of playoff games at home and we couldn't even fill our already small stands. The state semi-final game in '22 didn't even fill the visitor bleachers at London. I know there was a school dance a few weeks ago and a Christmas tree lighting both on Friday nights? I guess that tells you all you need to know about the "support" from the community in general. You have to wonder if the Tipp kids felt intimidated with the lack of support they had last night compared to Celina. Even the fans who were there showed no emotion and some were even walking out of the game with 8 minutes left. Sitting in those stands last night I felt sorry for the lack of support for our boys/coaches.

Congrats dogs and take down the Rams!!

Hats off to Celina last night. Heck of a team and very well coached. Devils dug a hole early with some bad mistakes you can't make in a regional semi-final game. Gabes is a hell of a player and to me that Celina defense is very stout. Tipp's offense has been ROLLING and to only allow 13 points is quite an accomplishment. This Celina team can beat Badin if they keep it rolling- I just hope they aren't riding a high from this week. I was so impressed by their crowd and support last night.

On another note, I am highly embarrassed of Tipp's crowd last night. 3rd straight year of making the regional semis so I guess fans are becoming spoiled? However, even spoiled fans come out to support in major games like that. Tipp's crowds in general this year have been awful. First 2 rounds of playoff games at home and we couldn't even fill our already small stands. The state semi-final game in '22 didn't even fill the visitor bleachers at London. I know there was a school dance a few weeks ago and a Christmas tree lighting both on Friday nights? I guess that tells you all you need to know about the "support" from the community in general. You have to wonder if the Tipp kids felt intimidated with the lack of support they had last night compared to Celina. Even the fans who were there showed no emotion and some were even walking out of the game with 8 minutes left. Sitting in those stands last night I felt sorry for the lack of support for our boys/coaches.

Congrats dogs and take down the Rams!!
Celina’s embarrassing loss to Wapak reset our focus IMO. Last weeks win over Trotwood had me concerned with a let down, but the exact opposite happened against Tipp. Celina was completely written off against T-M but found a way to win, fan support helped there too. Against Tipp I don’t feel Celina was a major underdog, which helped. Celina will be the underdog again this week against Badin.

Community support can greatly impact the game and it definitely helps as a factor last night.

Great facilities! Thanks for hosting!
Again thanks for the crowd. I love to hear that big roar when a team gets a big stop, scores a TD or a big turnover. I just love football and watching a game in Sidney makes it that much better. Wish Celina and Badin was at Sidney but thats probably not going to happen. I'm probably headed to Withrow vs. Anderson. Good luck to Celina the rest of the way.

Not sure how much of an impact it had but Tipp’s soccer team won state today so that may have affected the crowd a little bit. A few less students and adults possibly. Can’t speak for other games. My sister lives in Tipp and it seems to be a great community that is competitive in all sports.

Not sure how much of an impact it had but Tipp’s soccer team won state today so that may have affected the crowd a little bit. A few less students and adults possibly. Can’t speak for other games. My sister lives in Tipp and it seems to be a great community that is competitive in all sports.
Don't get me wrong...Tipp is a fantastic community. It's loaded with athletes and most importantly- coachable kids. Does the community support sports? Absolutely. Are they willing to plan their friday night around going to a regional semi final game? No. And that's the difference between a community like Tipp and a community like Celina.

Not too familiar with either school but sounds like both have some quality players and solid following. Nice to see both have playoff success.

Don't get me wrong...Tipp is a fantastic community. It's loaded with athletes and most importantly- coachable kids. Does the community support sports? Absolutely. Are they willing to plan their friday night around going to a regional semi final game? No. And that's the difference between a community like Tipp and a community like Celina.
Remember Tipp was playing for the Soccer State title on Saturday so there were some probably students and fans that chose to go to that game on Saturday than going to Sidney on Friday because they thought they would win vs Celina. I have coached against Tipp and they bring people home and away(including fireworks on away wins) so this may be a one off for fans not showing up.

Remember Tipp was playing for the Soccer State title on Saturday so there were some probably students and fans that chose to go to that game on Saturday than going to Sidney on Friday because they thought they would win vs Celina. I have coached against Tipp and they bring people home and away(including fireworks on away wins) so this may be a one off for fans not showing up.
Did Tipp's marching band go to the game? From my prior fan experience at Tipp, the other fans I sat near on the home side were about half band parents so if the band was not there, it would hurt normal attendance. The band parents were an interesting bunch as most did not know nor care about football, spent the first half talking amongst themselves and then giving the band standing ovations during half time performance (never sure why they did that). The best part was almost all of them left after half time giving the football fans more seating room.

Did Tipp's marching band go to the game? From my prior fan experience at Tipp, the other fans I sat near on the home side were about half band parents so if the band was not there, it would hurt normal attendance. The band parents were an interesting bunch as most did not know nor care about football, spent the first half talking amongst themselves and then giving the band standing ovations during half time performance (never sure why they did that). The best part was almost all of them left after half time giving the football fans more seating room.
The band was not there for Tipp.