Timing Companies

It really has. FinishTiming in particular hasn't been the same since MileSplit acquired them.
Milesplit did not acquire us. We use their results platform due to the high cost of our old one. We are using the same timing and scoring we always have, the only change is the live results. We have been trying a new version most every week as we send them bugs and fixes for thier system.

Last edited:
Results were kind of wonky again today ...sadly

Took about 25 minutes for team results to show up for some of the races and then the mile split page was displaying "Mixed results" that didn't exist. Not sure what's happening there.
West Chester said cedarville on the heading etc.

I had zero problems getting in several times on the link I posted. But I agree some of the ones that were supposedly for VOA were(and are) bad.

The Athletic Live website being used by the Columbus Districts is very clean, updated, and easy to use. It also works very well for mid race splits at other meets.

OHSAA, timing companies and meet management at the Districts have to do much better. I left the meet yesterday not knowing final results. If you can't provide results online / phones, then you need to have scoreboards on site or a sound system with an announcer. No one would tolerate a football game or basketball game or any other sport where there is no scoreboard. It was worse yesterday than any other year. Milesplit is getting worse not better.

I am able to follow a CC meet very well. I'm way above average. Even I cannot get it correct to all the teams that qualify through. I had top 3 teams accurately in my mind, but after that, I was clueless. More amazingly, parents I know weren't even sure of first and second. Not sure how that is possible, but I have an entire lifetime of experience. I can keep it in my head. Most people can't as I have found.

I had to pay to get into the meet. I could only pay online. I'm being asked to do things, so I should expect that I have live results at a minimum. It's 2023 not 1983. Get it done or get out of the way and let people that can get it done do it. There needs to be announcers letting people know what is going on. When 6 teams are qualifying through, they should know what's going on.

No excuse not to have results every 1k or minimum 1 mile, 2 mile and finish in real time. That has been available for years. If it's just an announcer, that's fine, but it should be on phones, a scoreboard and an announcer. Again, it's 2023.

Last edited:
Mike and the Finishtiming crew are fantastic. Always friendly and willing to accomodate coaches' requests. Always able to quickly and efffectively address any issues that do arise during a meet. When we've traveled to out-of-state meets, I've always said that we've been spoiled over the years by how good Finishtiming is at the job.

With that being said, NOTHING about the move to the milesplit platform has improved the experience for coaches doing entries or coaches/fans viewing results.

Mike and the Finishtiming crew are fantastic. Always friendly and willing to accomodate coaches' requests. Always able to quickly and efffectively address any issues that do arise during a meet. When we've traveled to out-of-state meets, I've always said that we've been spoiled over the years by how good Finishtiming is at the job.

With that being said, NOTHING about the move to the milesplit platform has improved the experience for coaches doing entries or coaches/fans viewing results.
Remember, folks, the problem is with MileSplit. MileSplit as a whole is great. However, they have their issues. I deal with their problems when sifting through performances that under investigation prove not to be properly categorized. They're notorious for having athletes affiliated with the wrong state or wrong category of some sort from my experience. That's one of myriads of reasons my lists take time to compile.

I totally agree, Javman. My issues are 1000 percent with the Milesplit interface. As I said above, Mike and his crew at Finishtiming are absolutely amazing. The best of the best in terms of timing companies, in my experience.

The Milesplit interface is terrible, though, and as a coach and fan, that's the filter through which my experience is forced.

They could be the best timing crew in the country but most of us have to judge what we can see. How long will they tolerate the way things are?

Milesplit is real bad this year. I would say it's time to look at other vehicles to post live results. Milesplit clearly isn't working.
Well, if they don't get their ship together next year, I suspect entities may walk away from them for live results. I know that I'm not crazy about some of the changes I've seen in older results that have been reformatted. I prefer an aggregate file where I can easily search within one page what I'm looking for, not the separated pages/tabs that I've seen results broken into recently.

I'm worried about the results at the regional and state meet. What will we know ?? and when will we know it??.

I believe the state of Ohio should have a delay of 20 minutes before posting team results after a race has concluded. Individual results should be live. This would give coaches a time period to challenge a finisher position.

This should be a state sanction. I believe Nike uses this method at the regional race (NXR) and I agree with the method.

With the appeal period being 20 minutes this would give coaches time to tell the timing company that they missed a runner and also allow the timing company to review all finishes.

With the usage of the bib for all races now I believe this is the best method to make sure we have coaches/fans have accurate information.

Too many times during the post-season have teams celebrated and then the results changed.

I believe the state of Ohio should have a delay of 20 minutes before posting team results after a race has concluded. Individual results should be live. This would give coaches a time period to challenge a finisher position.

This should be a state sanction. I believe Nike uses this method at the regional race (NXR) and I agree with the method.

With the appeal period being 20 minutes this would give coaches time to tell the timing company that they missed a runner and also allow the timing company to review all finishes.

With the usage of the bib for all races now I believe this is the best method to make sure we have coaches/fans have accurate information.

Too many times during the post-season have teams celebrated and then the results changed.
That should all be announced at the venue. All results are unofficial! I'm not sure how there could have been a 20 minute protest/ challenge period at LCCC Saturday as there were no results to question. No printed, no announced, none online. The girls did pop up online during the boys race, but coaches are out on the course by then.

My gripe for years has been people want fast over accurate, but at an invite, it's not that big a deal. However, at the District, it's critical they are correct and also timely so there can be corrections within the time period. At a minimum there needs to be a back up of printed copies given to coaches if online is not timely. Where I was the top two teams were easy, but the next were very difficult, especially in the girls race. Those teams were bunched pretty good. Cloverleaf and Hathaway Brown were almost identical and from what I gathered watching them it came down to #5, but Bay girls were very difficult to put into the mix in your head because they started scoring further back and ended scoring further up.

The time schedule that is followed for the Regional and State Tournmantes allows for a 30-minute appeal period after the results have been completed; this 30-minute period falls in line with NFHS rules. During that appeal period, a coach may question/file a written appeal with the meet referee (not the timing company) related to the order of finish, scoring, or an issue related to the misapplication of a rule. If there is an issue with live results, they should be posted in an area accessible to coaches only.

District Tournmants handle their own time schedules.

That should all be announced at the venue. All results are unofficial! I'm not sure how there could have been a 20 minute protest/ challenge period at LCCC Saturday as there were no results to question. No printed, no announced, none online. The girls did pop up online during the boys race, but coaches are out on the course by then.

My gripe for years has been people want fast over accurate, but at an invite, it's not that big a deal. However, at the District, it's critical they are correct and also timely so there can be corrections within the time period. At a minimum there needs to be a back up of printed copies given to coaches if online is not timely. Where I was the top two teams were easy, but the next were very difficult, especially in the girls race. Those teams were bunched pretty good. Cloverleaf and Hathaway Brown were almost identical and from what I gathered watching them it came down to #5, but Bay girls were very difficult to put into the mix in your head because they started scoring further back and ended scoring further up.
Psycho_dad... We were there for the LCCC races immediately after yours. Our results were coming up (with the scores adjusting for each athlete) as our kids were crossing the line. My wife showed me our score on her phone within a minute of our #7 finishing Saturday.

I have no idea why there were difficulties with the D. 2 race results, just that we didn't see these issues an hour later.

For Euclid and Viren, I appreciate the team scores coming up in addition to the individuals - at least once we have seen an appeal because only 6 of our athletes showed in the score, and that was our first warning something was off.

Psycho_dad... We were there for the LCCC races immediately after yours. Our results were coming up (with the scores adjusting for each athlete) as our kids were crossing the line. My wife showed me our score on her phone within a minute of our #7 finishing Saturday.

I have no idea why there were difficulties with the D. 2 race results, just that we didn't see these issues an hour later.

For Euclid and Viren, I appreciate the team scores coming up in addition to the individuals - at least once we have seen an appeal because only 6 of our athletes showed in the score, and that was our first warning something was off.
I agree that team scores should be included for the exact reason you state.

For D2, the race winner came up for both races and then it stopped. Results for girls were not working until after the boys race started. Boys lagged for at least 10-15 minutes. Not sure how the coaches would know when the 30 min appeal clock started since they were all out on the course watching their boys. No announcement and no printed results on the fence. I'm not even upset about the live results that much. It was the lack of any results. The minimum that could have happened in the 80's was not even available.

That's good it was corrected for D1. I've worked many meets of significance. Printed results are available very quickly.
The time schedule that is followed for the Regional and State Tournmantes allows for a 30-minute appeal period after the results have been completed; this 30-minute period falls in line with NFHS rules. During that appeal period, a coach may question/file a written appeal with the meet referee (not the timing company) related to the order of finish, scoring, or an issue related to the misapplication of a rule. If there is an issue with live results, they should be posted in an area accessible to coaches only.

District Tournmants handle their own time schedules.
Oops... I typed 20 and meant 30.

There were no posted results for coaches. I talked to many coaches and they were clueless. Something that should be addressed. When I helped, we posted copies and also handed a copy to each coach. Each venue should have a process clearly posted for coaches,

NCAA -Nike - running lane, many states and many other big meets have live scoring throughout the race and at the finish. Live, actual results. It is possible.
I'm sure its possible. Still would personally quote "live" as within a few seconds otherwise you just invite some dingbat to lose their marbles over the fact that the results didn't update the exact moment his/her athlete crossed the finish line.

Why aren’t we getting live team scores anymore?

I don’t understand how MileSplit has made results worse and not better. This is ridiculous to not have for postseason competition.

Why aren’t we getting live team scores anymore?

I don’t understand how MileSplit has made results worse and not better. This is ridiculous to not have for postseason competition.
Sometimes there is a button for team results once you are in the individual results. Other times it’s not there.