Time for Nostalgia - Share Your Jackson Memories

Pop Quiz:

1. Where was The Flower Factory before it's present location?
2. Where was Duff's, and what was it? Bonus point if you remember it's unique feature.
3. Where was Alladin's Castle and what was it?
4. There were a number of Sohio gas stations in Jackson - name one location.
5. Belden Village Mall's principal interior feature in the 1970's & 1980's was what?
6. What was there before Springbrook Plaza (Circuit City, Outback, etc.)?
7. Where did Giant Eagle used to be located and what store was it prior to Giant Eagle?
8. The original headquarters of the Jackson police was where?
9. Where was the first Jackson fire station?
10. Speaking of fire stations, the station now on Dressler was where?
11. It's now Macy's, but what was it originally? And what were the two names in between?
12. It's now Dilliard's, but what was it before that? And give yourself a brownie point if you know the original tenant in that location!
13. When did I-77 finish in Stark County, including in Jackson? Give yourself another brownie point if you know why it ever went through Jackson - because it wasn't supposed to!
14. To my knowledge, Jackson has only ever had one go-kart track, where was it?
15. Of the current elementary schools, which one was constructed first?
16. What's Discovery Zone and where was it?
17. Why did Topp's Chalet close?
18. Mountain Jack's was a ____ and was located at _____.
19. How many screens were at Belden Village Cinema and when did it close?
20. Lake Cable is manmade. True or false?

progress.gif

2. Duff's was a buffet near Fulton and Everhard where the funeral home is

4. Wasn't there a Sohio station where Family Video is at Portage and Wales?

10. That station used to be on Belden Village Avenue.

11. I believe Macy's was Kauffmans, O'Neills, and May Company

12. I believe Dillards was Higbees

14. Wasn't there a go-kart track at Jaxxon Forest on Wales?

17. Topp's Chalet closed because it burned down.

18. Mountain Jack was the area's best steakhouse and it was where Max & Erma's is beside the mall. (And I miss it.)

the place that used to be Michaels rest.:
I think it was called "Kelly's Basket" when it first opened and it was a fried chicken place, then Gyro King before Michael's, both of those were fast food.
And, I feel old knowing that!
I remember the driving range on Fulton about where Fisher's is located and the intersection at Fulton w/ Everhardt was a five way intersection with Frank. We used to get ice cream at Fuller's (I think that was the name) on Fulton/Whipple.
Other answers:
#4 - Braucher's service had a gas station, but I don't remember if it was "sohio" I just remember getting full service gas and the change maker that clipped on their belts.
#5 - various water fountains w/ lots of foliage. I worked at the mall when
they renovated and got rid of them in the 80's it was a mess for a long time.
#6 builders square
#19 - belden village twin, w/ 2 screens, then they acquired space in the next building and got even more screens.
#20 - man made

SO FAR....correct answers in green, wrong answers in red.

Pop Quiz:

1. Where was The Flower Factory before it's present location? No answer given yet.
2. Where was Duff's, and what was it? Bonus point if you remember it's unique feature. Correct, it was a buffet and in the location described. However, we don't have the unique feature yet.
3. Where was Alladin's Castle and what was it? Can't believe no one has answered this yet.
4. There were a number of Sohio gas stations in Jackson - name one location. There was a Sohio where Family Video now is at Wales/Portage. There are still others, though. Not sure what Braucher's was, although it definitely was a gas station at one point.
5. Belden Village Mall's principal interior feature in the 1970's & 1980's was what? Correct - it had fountains and foliage. Of particular interest was the deep sunken fountain near the main Everhard entrance - was always kind of spooky looking to me.
6. What was there before Springbrook Plaza (Circuit City, Outback, etc.)? While a Builder's Square had been there, that's not the answer I'm looking for - I'm looking for what was there before the entire plaza was built.
7. Where did Giant Eagle used to be located and what store was it prior to Giant Eagle? No answer yet.
8. The original headquarters of the Jackson police was where? No answer yet.
9. Where was the first Jackson fire station? No answer yet.
10. Speaking of fire stations, the station now on Dressler was where? Correct, it was indeed on BV Drive - it's now Valvoline.
11. It's now Macy's, but what was it originally? And what were the two names in between? You had all the names. It opened in 1971 as O'Neils, then was also the May Co & Kauffman's.
12. It's now Dilliard's, but what was it before that? And give yourself a brownie point if you know the original tenant in that location! Yes, it was Higbee's before Dilliard's. But what was it originally?
13. When did I-77 finish in Stark County, including in Jackson? Give yourself another brownie point if you know why it ever went through Jackson - because it wasn't supposed to! No answer yet.
14. To my knowledge, Jackson has only ever had one go-kart track, where was it? This might be debateable - now that I think about it, there might have been one at Jaxon Forest, but that wasn't the one I was looking for. There was definitely another one - where was it?
15. Of the current elementary schools, which one was constructed first? No answer yet.
16. What's Discovery Zone and where was it? No answer yet.
17. Why did Topp's Chalet close? Correct, it closed because it burnt to the ground. For the newer folks, Topp's was in that vacant property on the northwest corner of Everhard & Whipple, adjacent Taco Bell. It was a pretty fancy restaurant.
18. Mountain Jack's was a ____ and was located at _____. Correct, it was a great restaurant (finer dining) and was located where Max & Erma's is now.
19. How many screens were at Belden Village Cinema and when did it close? Correct. It originally had two screens, then bought the property in the other part of the plaza to add two more. It closed in 1997.
20. Lake Cable is manmade. True or false? True. It's a manmade lake.

C'mon folks...let's see if y'all know the other answers!

the place that used to be Michaels rest.:
I think it was called "Kelly's Basket" when it first opened and it was a fried chicken place, then Gyro King before Michael's, both of those were fast food.
And, I feel old knowing that!
I remember the driving range on Fulton about where Fisher's is located and the intersection at Fulton w/ Everhardt was a five way intersection with Frank. We used to get ice cream at Fuller's (I think that was the name) on Fulton/Whipple.

Oh gosh...that's right about Gyro King!!! I totally forgot about that one! I don't remember the Kelly's Basket and chicken place, though, but yeah, definitely remember the gyro place. That was long before I knew what a gyro even was, though (love them now!!!).

I vaguely remember that five way intersection - seems to me that was removed in the early to mid 70's, wasn't it?

#3. It was a video arcade
#8 I believe it was on the corner of Mudbrook and Wales. Prior to moving to the fulton road location where 91 is now.
#9 On lake O springs right at the fork in the road by the ballfields
#16 It was a great indoor activity center for kids that had slides,mazes, places for kids to be active. Located where Circuit City went into I believe
#14 I'll take a stab and say in the back of Grand Slams parking lot.
Also I know that this place was just outside of the township borders but only by several hundred yards. But does anyone remember Butlers/ Barnhills ice cream parlor

#3. It was a video arcade
#8 I believe it was on the corner of Mudbrook and Wales. Prior to moving to the fulton road location where 91 is now. CORRECT - it was originally in the Administration Building.
#9 On lake O springs right at the fork in the road by the ballfields CORRECT
#16 It was a great indoor activity center for kids that had slides,mazes, places for kids to be active. Located where Circuit City went into I believe CORRECT, although it was next to Circuit City. I believe it's a Gold's Gym now.
#14 I'll take a stab and say in the back of Grand Slams parking lot. CORRECT
Also I know that this place was just outside of the township borders but only by several hundred yards. But does anyone remember Butlers/ Barnhills ice cream parlor

As I said in the Stark thread - I LOVED Butler's/Barnhill's (depending on the year...lol). Amazing place. Kind of ironic that it is now sandwiched between a Dairy Queen and Mary Ann Donut's....guess you can STILL get your sugar fix in that block!!!!

I have a couple questions myself.
1) Anyone remember what Childrens Palace was, and where located ?
2) Prior to the annual Jackson/Belden foot festival being moved to it's current home at Kent Stark. Where was it originally ? and what was the big grand finally to the event at it's prior location

I have a couple questions myself.
1) Anyone remember what Childrens Palace was, and where located ?
2) Prior to the annual Jackson/Belden foot festival being moved to it's current home at Kent Stark. Where was it originally ? and what was the big grand finally to the event at it's prior location

1. Children's Palace was a large toy store where Michaels (?) is now now by Mulligans.

2. The festival used to be held at Fisher Park on Lake O' Springs

Ahhh...you beat me to it!

1. Children's Palace was a large toy store where Michaels (?) is now now by Mulligans.

Yup - loved going there as a kid.

2. The festival used to be held at Fisher Park on Lake O' Springs

Yup - and it used to be called the Firemen's Festival. And if I recall correctly, the finale was the barrel contest where two teams w/fire hoses aimed for a barrel suspended along a wire high above - basically playing "tug of war" with it. Correct?

Wait a second.....was that the Food Fest or the Bicentennial Celebration? Or both? The Firemen's Festival was the predecessor of something, but now I cannot remember which one. Wasn't the food fest held downtown?

Ahhh...you beat me to it!

Yup - loved going there as a kid.

Yup - and it used to be called the Firemen's Festival. And if I recall correctly, the finale was the barrel contest where two teams w/fire hoses aimed for a barrel suspended along a wire high above - basically playing "tug of war" with it. Correct?

Wait a second.....was that the Food Fest or the Bicentennial Celebration? Or both? The Firemen's Festival was the predecessor of something, but now I cannot remember which one. Wasn't the food fest held downtown?

Sorry I should have been a little clearer . The food festival i was referring to started out as a 1 day even for several years preceeding Hall Of Fame week . Resteraunts in the belden area would set up booths up and down dressler road from about where the old ChiChi's was all the way down past Thursdays plaza. They would block off dressler and you could walk up and down the road. At the end of the evening it was culiminated by a laser light show. I believe this only lasted a couple years prior to moving it to Kent State

Sorry I should have been a little clearer . The food festival i was referring to started out as a 1 day even for several years preceeding Hall Of Fame week . Resteraunts in the belden area would set up booths up and down dressler road from about where the old ChiChi's was all the way down past Thursdays plaza. They would block off dressler and you could walk up and down the road. At the end of the evening it was culiminated by a laser light show. I believe this only lasted a couple years prior to moving it to Kent State

Okay, yeah, I remember that. Thursday's Plaza parking lots were packed w/people! I thought they had fireworks at one time, too?

Thus, the Firemen's Festival must have become the Star Spangled Celebration (or whatever its called).

Edited: Firemen's Festival, then Star-Spangled Celebration and now Jackson Community Celebration.
http://www.indeonline.com/archive/x833714632/Jackson-celebration-has-something-for-everyone

Anyone remember what the store was called that is now Stone Mountain Carpet (between Roadhouse & Papa Gyros)? Used to be a department-style store like Best Products.

--

Speaking of that nearby plaza - y'all remember Twin Valu, the original "SuperCenter"?

Further updatings:
1. Where was The Flower Factory before it's present location? No answer given yet.
2. Where was Duff's, and what was it? Bonus point if you remember it's unique feature. Correct, it was a buffet and in the location described. However, we don't have the unique feature yet.
3. Where was Alladin's Castle and what was it? Yup, it was a game room inside the mall.
4. There were a number of Sohio gas stations in Jackson - name one location. There was a Sohio where Family Video now is at Wales/Portage. There are still others, though. Not sure what Braucher's was, although it definitely was a gas station at one point.
5. Belden Village Mall's principal interior feature in the 1970's & 1980's was what? Correct - it had fountains and foliage. Of particular interest was the deep sunken fountain near the main Everhard entrance - was always kind of spooky looking to me.
6. What was there before Springbrook Plaza (Circuit City, Outback, etc.)? While a Builder's Square had been there, that's not the answer I'm looking for - I'm looking for what was there before the entire plaza was built.
7. Where did Giant Eagle used to be located and what store was it prior to Giant Eagle? No answer yet.
8. The original headquarters of the Jackson police was where? At the administration building at Wales/Mudbrook.
9. Where was the first Jackson fire station? Lake O'Springs at the 'Y'.
10. Speaking of fire stations, the station now on Dressler was where? Correct, it was indeed on BV Drive - it's now Valvoline.
11. It's now Macy's, but what was it originally? And what were the two names in between? You had all the names. It opened in 1971 as O'Neils, then was also the May Co & Kauffman's.
12. It's now Dilliard's, but what was it before that? And give yourself a brownie point if you know the original tenant in that location! Yes, it was Higbee's before Dilliard's. But what was it originally?
13. When did I-77 finish in Stark County, including in Jackson? Give yourself another brownie point if you know why it ever went through Jackson - because it wasn't supposed to! No answer yet.
14. To my knowledge, Jackson has only ever had one go-kart track, where was it? This might be debateable - now that I think about it, there might have been one at Jaxon Forest, but that wasn't the one I was looking for. The one I was looking for was indeed located next to Grand Slam.
15. Of the current elementary schools, which one was constructed first? No answer yet.
16. What's Discovery Zone and where was it? Yup - an indoor play place for kids next to (the recently defunct) Circuit City.
17. Why did Topp's Chalet close? Correct, it closed because it burnt to the ground. For the newer folks, Topp's was in that vacant property on the northwest corner of Everhard & Whipple, adjacent Taco Bell. It was a pretty fancy restaurant.
18. Mountain Jack's was a ____ and was located at _____. Correct, it was a great restaurant (finer dining) and was located where Max & Erma's is now.
19. How many screens were at Belden Village Cinema and when did it close? Correct. It originally had two screens, then bought the property in the other part of the plaza to add two more. It closed in 1997.
20. Lake Cable is manmade. True or false? True. It's a manmade lake.

Anyone got the final few?

Anyone remember what the store was called that is now Stone Mountain Carpet (between Roadhouse & Papa Gyros)? Used to be a department-style store like Best Products.

--

Speaking of that nearby plaza - y'all remember Twin Valu, the original "SuperCenter"?

Twin Value.Wow theres a blast from the past. I do have another question.
Anyone remember where the first Max and Erma's was in the area ? It was once upon a time a favorite hang out of one Joey Belle..Also anyone remember the Imperial Cinema complex ?

Anyone remember where the first Max and Erma's was in the area ? It was once upon a time a favorite hang out of one Joey Belle..Also anyone remember the Imperial Cinema complex ?

I think I already covered the Max & Erma's in one of the threads. It was on the site of the old Parke Hotel (prior to that the Imperial Hotel), and was one of the original two franchises for Max & Erma's.

I definitely remember Imperial Cinema (and later Parke Cinema, when the hotel changed hands). However, I'm not sure if it was a 'complex', since it only had one screen...lol. Looked like a castle - saw lots of great movies there! Sat on the same site as the hotel & Max & Ermas.

All those properties are now on the site of the plaza w/Target & Dick's in it, however, there is still a remnant of the Parke left in the Parke Townhouses adjacent the 77 south exit ramp.

--

Wasn't it Miller Sales?

I'll take a few more stabs....
#1 in the building in the front of the parking lot.
#2 the circular serving island thing??? I only ate ther once w/ my grandparents for my birthday, oh how fun!
#4 Sohio on Portage on the right when entering 77 southbound
#6 don't remember
#7 in the value city furniture location; Kroegers
#12 don't remember
#13 I'd love to know the answer, my guess - thie city of N. Canton didn't want it.
#15 sauder?? if not Amherst

Now here's an oldie:
What were the names of the bars that used to be at Wales/Portage intersection?

I'll take a few more stabs....
#1 in the building in the front of the parking lot.
#2 the circular serving island thing??? I only ate ther once w/ my grandparents for my birthday, oh how fun!
#4 Sohio on Portage on the right when entering 77 southbound
#6 don't remember
#7 in the value city furniture location; Kroegers
#12 don't remember
#13 I'd love to know the answer, my guess - thie city of N. Canton didn't want it.
#15 sauder?? if not Amherst

Now here's an oldie:
What were the names of the bars that used to be at Wales/Portage intersection?

I remember the one was called Portage Inn...a couple miles away from Wales inn. I do recall the other bar at that corner but not the name at this time.Was it maybe something like the Outpost or Hitching post or I may be way off

--

I take back my answer about the Stone Mountain Carpet store having been Miller Sales. I'm positive it had been Service Merchandise. It was very similar to Best Products. As was Miller Sales but I can't remember where it was located.

6. A large, white barn. At one time, I believe there was a golf course there. The barn served as somewhat of a club house. In it's final years, it could be rented out for events.

12. That space used to be a grocery store.

MORE UPDATING

1. Where was The Flower Factory before it's present location? Yes, it was in the building in the front of the parking lot (the one at a 90-degree angle to the present location).
2. Where was Duff's, and what was it? Bonus point if you remember it's unique feature. Correct, it was a buffet and in the location described. A little enhancement to the "circular serving island" thing - it was circular, but more unique - it rotated to bring the various items to you. To date, I've never seen anything like it.
3. Where was Alladin's Castle and what was it? Yup, it was a game room inside the mall.
4. There were a number of Sohio gas stations in Jackson - name one location. There was a Sohio where Family Video now is at Wales/Portage. Yup, there was one on the south side of Portage just west of 77. It's now a brick retaining wall for the plaza Cold Stone is in, but you can still see some of the concrete pad. There is still at least two more. Not sure what Braucher's was, although it definitely was a gas station at one point.
6. What was there before Springbrook Plaza (Circuit City, Outback, etc.)? While a Builder's Square had been there, that's not the answer I'm looking for - I'm looking for what was there before the entire plaza was built. "A white barn" is getting closer. I am not aware of an events place of golf course having been in that specific spot.
7. Where did Giant Eagle used to be located and what store was it prior to Giant Eagle?Yup - it was approximately where Fashion Bug & Factory Card Outlet sit now and was previously a Krogers.
8. The original headquarters of the Jackson police was where? At the administration building at Wales/Mudbrook.
9. Where was the first Jackson fire station? Lake O'Springs at the 'Y'.
12. It's now Dilliard's, but what was it before that? And give yourself a brownie point if you know the original tenant in that location! Yes, it was Higbee's before Dilliard's. But what was it originally? And no, it was never a grocery store. The grocery store, Fazio's, was where the Food Court now is.
13. When did I-77 finish in Stark County, including in Jackson? Give yourself another brownie point if you know why it ever went through Jackson - because it wasn't supposed to! No answer yet on the date or why it originally wasn't supposed to go through Jackson. Unless you are really stretching, it had nothing to do with North Canton.
14. To my knowledge, Jackson has only ever had one go-kart track, where was it? This might be debateable - now that I think about it, there might have been one at Jaxon Forest, but that wasn't the one I was looking for. The one I was looking for was indeed located next to Grand Slam.
15. Of the current elementary schools, which one was constructed first? By process of elimination - Sauder is correct. It opened as a Junior High for the 1959-60 school year, five years before Lake Cable and six years before Amherst. It became Sauder Elementary in 1976/77 when the new HS was opened and the MS students transferred to their current location.
16. What's Discovery Zone and where was it? Yup - an indoor play place for kids next to (the recently defunct) Circuit City.
20. Lake Cable is manmade. True or false? True. It's a manmade lake, built sometime around 1920.

I take back my answer about the Stone Mountain Carpet store having been Miller Sales. I'm positive it had been Service Merchandise. It was very similar to Best Products. As was Miller Sales but I can't remember where it was located.

Yes, it was a Service Merchandise - without question, I remember that now as well. Seems to me that Miller Sales was, at one time, where Best Products was. Not sure why I think that, and I just called my mom - she remembers the store, vaguely, but she thought it was on Whipple. :shrug:

I have absolutely no idea what the bars were at Wales/Portage. I just remember Lawson's and Sohio. And if I'm correct, wasn't Lawson's on the opposite corner (NW corner)?

#7 Was Piggly Wiggly before Krogers. Or after Krogers but before Giant Eagle??

Come on PP. I know you remember Piggly Wiggly grocery store. Do a title search. Before or after Krogers?

#7 Was Piggly Wiggly before Krogers. Or after Krogers but before Giant Eagle??

Come on PP. I know you remember Piggly Wiggly grocery store. Do a title search. Before or after Krogers?

I have a vague memory of Kroger's being something else beside's Kroger's, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't Piggly Wiggly. I'm almost 100% positive that the Piggly Wiggly was the one at Dressler & Fulton. Seem's to me that the one at Dressler/Fulton had two different names in its lifetimes - PW was one of them - not sure what (if any) the other was.

We also had Apple's in the area, and the Giant Eagle in Canal Fulton used to be a Kroger's and an Apple's, but I don't think the one where Fashion Bug is now was ever an Apple's.