The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the risk of losing to North and East Palestine next year outweigh the benefit of beating two potentially winless teams early in the year?
Do they play east Palestine? If they lose to them there’s no hope to revive that program. They might be the worst team I’ve seen in 20 or so years

Does the risk of losing to North and East Palestine next year outweigh the benefit of beating two potentially winless teams early in the year?
The seniors last season had some talent, but nothing ahead of them or behind them. I believe they should have won more then 3 games even with no help. As juniors they beat west Branch with only 1 senior playing that night , had close games with United, Sandy valley, canton south, Carrollton. They lose 2 seniors and should have been better than 2-8 last year. At least they should have been more competitive- lost 15 seniors, the most athletic sophomore moved, most athletic junior moved, most athletic senior did not play. Next year there will be about 5 or 6 seniors and 9 or 10 juniors. Scheduling teams like palenstine, north or Sebring will not be guaranteed wins. But I do get what you are saying. We just have 1 more year to really struggle- unless somehow the new coach can get more people out.

Do they play east Palestine? If they lose to them there’s no hope to revive that program. They might be the worst team I’ve seen in 20 or so years
It would have been a close game this year and probably next year too/ a new coach can actually start building something next year. We did have some pretty good freshmen playing Friday nights.

It would have been a close game this year and probably next year too/ a new coach can actually start building something next year. We did have some pretty good freshmen playing Friday nights.
I don’t think so honestly. I think Minerva woulda won by 3 scores minimum

I truly admire the boys that play in Minerva. They really do give their all on Friday nights and I really don't mean any disrespect towards those boys. But this year's team was the worst one they had since this 3-67 record started 7 years ago. They may have been able to schedule down and been competitive is some games but they would not have been guaranteed wins. They were outmanned in numbers, speed, size and talent every game and it wasn't close. There were often 4 or 5 freshmen on the field. There were tiimes that there were no 200 lb kids on the field. I think they gave up more touchdowns on offense than they scored. They scored 14 points 1 time and this was getting their 2nd TD with the starters as time ran out in week 10. The had no other game where they score more that onceI agree with NBC1988, next year will probably more of the same.. I am guessing the starting lineups will be filled with Sophomores.

I just hope our new coach as a long term plan because it will not happen overnight unless the kids sitting in the student section decide to put on the pads next year. the number 1 priority is keep the younger kids playing!

The EBC shifts to a 6 team conference. That leaves 5 games OOC. The AD should be looking hard on how to assist a new coach with a schedule that can get some wins and support a new coach by providing time for the new coach to be in the different buildings.

It is obvious that relationships with the younger student athletes needs to be established to get kids committed to the program.
The problem schools have with a change at HC every so many years is there isn't a fast turnover to teaching staff and not many schools are going to give an incoming coach their years in teaching, so who exactly wants to go to a new school and take a major paycut to their salary.

The Minerva job was posted with a 3/4 weightroom stipend. what does that mean exactly? Does a new coach have the ability to go to the middle school as I understand it is a separate building and not directly next to high school? What things is the principal doing to assist a HC in being able to revive a troubled and once very proud program?

2022 EBC schedules (according to arbiter):
Alliance Aviators
Lake
@ Niles
Bedford
Norwalk
@ Canton CC
@ Salem
@ Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Marlington

Carrollton Warriors
@ Manchester
OPEN
St. Thomas Aquinas
Garaway
OPEN
@ Marlington
Alliance
@ Salem
West Branch
Minerva

Marlington Dukes
@ Coventry
@ Northwest
Ridgewood
@ Chaney
OPEN
Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Salem
@ Alliance

Minerva Lions
East Liverpool
@ Crestwood
@ Beaver Local
Sandy Valley
Southeast
@ West Branch
@ Salem
Marlington
Alliance
@Carrollton

Salem Quakers
Crestview
OPEN
East Liverpool
Canton CC
@ Padua
Alliance
Minerva
Carrollton
@ Marlington
@ West Branch

West Branch Warriors
Canfield
Woodridge
@ Revere
Ridgewood
@ Howland
Minerva
@ Marlington
@ Alliance
@ Carrollton
Salem

NOTE: The teams showing OPEN dates may have actually found opponents for those dates, but those contests haven't been entered in Arbiter yet.

Last edited:
The EBC shifts to a 6 team conference. That leaves 5 games OOC. The AD should be looking hard on how to assist a new coach with a schedule that can get some wins and support a new coach by providing time for the new coach to be in the different buildings.

It is obvious that relationships with the younger student athletes needs to be established to get kids committed to the program.
The problem schools have with a change at HC every so many years is there isn't a fast turnover to teaching staff and not many schools are going to give an incoming coach their years in teaching, so who exactly wants to go to a new school and take a major paycut to their salary.

The Minerva job was posted with a 3/4 weightroom stipend. what does that mean exactly?
Does a new coach have the ability to go to the middle school as I understand it is a separate building and not directly next to high school? What things is the principal doing to assist a HC in being able to revive a troubled and once very proud program?
That is a major challenge.

I forget. Didn't the state within the past few years put a limit on how many years a school district can give to an incoming teacher? The districts' hands might be tied on that issue. Regardless, the end result is the same.

At many schools, there is a stipend paid to someone to serve as weightroom monitor (b/c for liability purposes, most school districts require an adult to be present when the weightroom is open). That "someone" is often the football coach. 3/4 weightroom stipend would mean that 75% of that designated stipend would be paid to the football coach. I have no idea who would be paid the other 25%, maybe an assistant coach or some other sport's coach. In the old days when things were more loose, it was possible for some football coaches to forego the weightroom stipend and use that money to hire another assistant coach. That might not be an option these days with how strict things have become with how school funds are allocated.

Alliance Aviators
Lake
@ Niles
Bedford
Norwalk
@ Canton CC
@ Salem
@ Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Marlington

Carrollton Warriors
@ Manchester
OPEN
St. Thomas Aquinas
Garaway
OPEN
@ Marlington
Alliance
@ Salem
West Branch
Minerva

Marlington Dukes
@ Coventry
@ Northwest
Ridgewood
@ Chaney
OPEN
Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Salem
@ Alliance

Minerva Lions
East Liverpool
@ Crestwood
@ Beaver Local
Sandy Valley
Southeast
@ West Branch
@ Salem
Marlington
Alliance
@Carrollton

Salem Quakers
Crestview
OPEN
East Liverpool
Canton CC
@ Padua
Alliance
Minerva
Carrollton
@ Marlington
@ West Branch

West Branch Warriors
Canfield
Woodridge
@ Revere
Ridgewood
@ Howland
Minerva
@ Marlington
@ Alliance
@ Carrollton
Salem
WOW!! West Branch picking up Canfield and Ridgewood to go along with again playing Woodridge (a perennial playoff contender) is impressive. Alliance's non-leagie schedule (Lake, Niles, Bedford, CCC) is impressive overall as well. I also see a couple other potentially nice mathcups (Salem/CCC, Marlington/Ridgewood). Even though I have no ties to the school/team, I'm pulling for Minerva to right the ship and start heading in the right direction.

WOW!! West Branch picking up Canfield and Ridgewood to go along with again playing Woodridge (a perennial playoff contender) is impressive. Alliance's non-leagie schedule (Lake, Niles, Bedford, CCC) is impressive overall as well. I also see a couple other potentially nice mathcups (Salem/CCC, Marlington/Ridgewood). Even though I have no ties to the school/team, I'm pulling for Minerva to right the ship and start heading in the right direction.
It appears the EBC teams are embracing the fact that they can take a few more risks with their schedules. However, some of this may also be out of necessity since they now have 5 nonleague weeks to fill.

Regardless, it adds some nice flavor to their nonleague schedules. Carrollton adding Garaway caught my eye. I believe Garaway was rather junior-laden this fall and just gave South Range all they could handle on Saturday. Manchester's a solid pickup, too. Salem adding Padua could be a nice matchup, and Alliance vs. Norwalk is intriguing. Norwalk is rather hit or miss. The Truckers only went 1-9 this year, but 9 of their 10 opponents made the playoffs. That may not seem like a big deal until a closer look revels that 7 of those 9 won at least 1 playoff game.

Last edited:

The Minerva job was posted with a 3/4 weightroom stipend. what does that mean exactly? Does a new coach have the ability to go to the middle school as I understand it is a separate building and not directly next to high school? What things is the principal doing to assist a HC in being able to revive a troubled and once very proud program?
  • Hundley came in as a retired teacher and his job at the school was a part-time strength training teacher so that is the immediate opening. I think that was created for him and it is for all athletes so it's a good program.
  • yes, the middle school is very accessilbe to whoever coaches - he can have a strong presence there.
  • The old principal, Yeagley, was an ex-head coach at Minerva and is now a superintendent at Canton South. The new prinicipal is Mangun, who was promoted from the AD- Not to mention the assistant Principal was the O coordinator the past. The coach has 100% support from the administration.
  • The community support for all of the student-athletes is incredible. Just look at some of the other sports and the fan base.
All of the pieces are in place to build the program back up. We jsut need the right leader.

I believe that Willison had the right personality and communitiy involvement to eventually be successful. He most love the program because his is middle school coach again.

It appears the EBC teams are embracing the fact that they can take a few more risks with their schedules. However, some of this may also be out of necessity since they now have 5 nonleague weeks to fill.

Regardless, it adds some nice flavor to their nonleague schedules. Carrollton adding Garaway caught my eye. I believe Garaway was rather junior-laden this fall and just gave South Range all they could handle on Saturday. Manchester's a solid pickup, too. Salem adding Padua could be a nice matchup, and Alliance vs. Norwalk is intriguing. Norwalk is rather hit or miss. The Truckers only went 1-9 this year, but 9 of their 10 opponents made the playoffs. That may not seem like a big deal until a closer look revels that 7 of those 9 won at least 1 playoff game.
I am interested to see what Carrollton does with those open dates. St. Thomas threads seem like they will struggle to field a team. No more Louisville for Alliance?

I said this on an earlier post somewhere but it would be great if the EBC and the IVC South got together and played week 4 every year. You could have matchups like:

West Branch vs. Garaway
Carrollton vs. Indian Valley
Salem vs. Ridgewood
Marlington vs. Sandy Valley
Alliance vs. Claymont
Minerva vs. Tusky Valley

It would be good for both leagues. Base the matchups on the quality of the teams.

Neither The WB OC have a son. One of the DC has a son this the # 2 QB.
Ok thanks for clarification, I knew one coach had backup qb as soon, assumed was on offensive side of ball. But do not seeing any anyone leaving wb to go elsewhere, to many good things happening and future looks bright. Like 80s/90s returning.

Ok thanks for clarification, I knew one coach had backup qb as soon, assumed was on offensive side of ball. But do not seeing any anyone leaving wb to go elsewhere, to many good things happening and future looks bright. Like 80s/90s returning.
I wouldn't go that far, two good seasons back to back does not mean a dynasty is on the horizon. They have some good classes in the school right now but nothing overwhelming

I wouldn't go that far, two good seasons back to back does not mean a dynasty is on the horizon. They have some good classes in the school right now but nothing overwhelming
I believe from the Jv thru the jr high are undefeated . Freshman class has around 30 kids and many saw a lot of second half varsity time.

I am interested to see what Carrollton does with those open dates. St. Thomas threads seem like they will struggle to field a team. No more Louisville for Alliance?
Weeks 2 and 5 for Carrollton this season were filled by Coventry and Kenmore-Garfield. All I know is that week 2 in 2022 will not be Coventry. Coventry is playing Berkshire in week 2 next fall.

Louisville's 2022 schedule so far:
@ Steubenville
Poland Seminary
@ Northwest
@ Hoover
Lake
@ Perry
Green
@ GlenOak
OPEN
Linsly (WV)

Last edited:
Weeks 2 and 5 for Carrollton this season were filled by Coventry and Kenmore-Garfield. All I know is that week 2 in 2022 will not be Coventry. They are playing Berkshire in week 2 next fall.

Louisville's 2022 schedule so far:
@ Steubenville
Poland Seminary
@ Northwest
@ Hoover
Lake
@ Perry
Green
@ GlenOak
OPEN
Linsly (WV)
I hope Alliance and Louisville can renew their rivlary soon. I really think the EBC and Louisville needs to sit down and discuss a reunion. Louisville is staring at another 2 win season with that schedule.

I hope Alliance and Louisville can renew their rivlary soon. I really think the EBC and Louisville needs to sit down and discuss a reunion. Louisville is staring at another 2 win season with that schedule.
Not a chance that happens, they burnt far too many bridges throughout their time in the league. I think objectively we can all agree Louisville got a raw deal but with all the emotion that's connected with their NBC tenure I don't see there ever being a time where enough of the teams in the conference feel bad enough for them to welcome them back

Not a chance that happens, they burnt far too many bridges throughout their time in the league. I think objectively we can all agree Louisville got a raw deal but with all the emotion that's connected with their NBC tenure I don't see there ever being a time where enough of the teams in the conference feel bad enough for them to welcome them back
The Alliance football coaches and administration wanted to keep playing Louisville but Louisville couldn't move their week 4 game against Hoover because they are locked in with Poland/NW/Steubenville. That is why Alliance is playing a one year contract against The Norwalk Truckers. Also the whole banana gate doesn't help the cause behind the scenes, even though it was completely blown out of proportion because of a frustrated parent. I wouldn't be surprised in the near future that Alliance will play the Leopards again.

Lol not saying dynasty, but Harris was part of the Laut staff I can see a lot of 9-1 and 8-2 seasons coming. This year is special, but alot of people seen that coming since this class was young. They probably win league next year do to Deshields being back with a couple recent receivers and decent back up young running back stepping up.
They are surely in better hands now then when Dota was there. Funny thing is and this is a WB thing 2 years ago parents wanted Harris fired and Dota back. Now Harris is a god to them and Dota who. Always been that way always will be. Harris is good and I have said that all along people needed to buy into his system Doat was good at Ursline which recruits which is fitting for this week.

Alot of Yappi all stars saying well Ursline won last year. Who cares I dont know if Ursline is better than last year or not but WB is way better as they actually have a QB this year rather than a QB that says let me run it every single play and if I have to I will pass it. Will be close but if WB gets back to their game plan. ( Pound Marra with the ball and let Deshields open it up they win a close one.

Lol not saying dynasty, but Harris was part of the Laut staff I can see a lot of 9-1 and 8-2 seasons coming. This year is special, but alot of people seen that coming since this class was young. They probably win league next year do to Deshields being back with a couple recent receivers and decent back up young running back stepping up.
They are surely in better hands now then when Dota was there. Funny thing is and this is a WB thing 2 years ago parents wanted Harris fired and Dota back. Now Harris is a god to them and Dota who. Always been that way always will be. Harris is good and I have said that all along people needed to buy into his system Doat was good at Ursline which recruits which is fitting for this week.

Alot of Yappi all stars saying well Ursline won last year. Who cares I dont know if Ursline is better than last year or not but WB is way better as they actually have a QB this year rather than a QB that says let me run it every single play and if I have to I will pass it. Will be close but if WB gets back to their game plan. ( Pound Marra with the ball and let Deshields open it up they win a close one.
I agree with everything except from what I saw, in my opinion, Hillyer was an extremely good quarterback last year. I didn’t a lot of wb games but what I did see, he was impressive. He may be a little different than DeShields but I then think he was darn good. They are both great high school quarterbacks.

Alliance Aviators
Lake
@ Niles
Bedford
Norwalk
@ Canton CC
@ Salem
@ Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Marlington

Carrollton Warriors
@ Manchester
OPEN
St. Thomas Aquinas
Garaway
OPEN
@ Marlington
Alliance
@ Salem
West Branch
Minerva

Marlington Dukes
@ Coventry
@ Northwest
Ridgewood
@ Chaney
OPEN
Carrollton
West Branch
@ Minerva
Salem
@ Alliance

Minerva Lions
East Liverpool
@ Crestwood
@ Beaver Local
Sandy Valley
Southeast
@ West Branch
@ Salem
Marlington
Alliance
@Carrollton

Salem Quakers
Crestview
OPEN
East Liverpool
Canton CC
@ Padua
Alliance
Minerva
Carrollton
@ Marlington
@ West Branch

West Branch Warriors
Canfield
Woodridge
@ Revere
Ridgewood
@ Howland
Minerva
@ Marlington
@ Alliance
@ Carrollton
Salem

NOTE: The teams showing OPEN dates may have actually found opponents for those dates, but those contests haven't been entered in Arbiter yet.
Interesting only Chaney, Howland, Canfield and Niles (4 games) are all that the EBC have with Mahoning Valley teams out of possible 30 OOC games. Yet when playoffs come around they are likely opponents.

Both schools are significantly better I believe. With Ursuline you keep the ball and control the game, they can score in 1 play with 5-7 kids it’s scary. Mind boggling they don’t have a pulse defensively granted the offense they played all year are very good. Hoping for a great game

Interesting only Chaney, Howland, Canfield and Niles (4 games) are all that the EBC have with Mahoning Valley teams out of possible 30 OOC games. Yet when playoffs come around they are likely opponents.
Canfield used to play Salem, West Branch and Alliance quite a bit formerly.
I always enjoyed playing Salem and West Branch and they were usually pretty competitive in most sports.
There is no reason they can't renew these rivalries.

Scheduling is a 2-way street. However, I don't know who contacted who and which teams already had games booked for specific weeks in 2022. Bottom line is the total number of possible matchups that could realistically happen between the EBC and Mahoning Valley schools is far less than 30. Overall, I like what I'm seeing so far from the EBC schools with their nonleague schedules. I'm not seeing many games against "Akron this," "Cleveland that," or "Columbus so-and-so." I'm not even seeing many games against lower division opponents that would be viewed as easy wins like an East Palestine, Waterloo, Newton Falls, Champion, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.