The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I hear the kids say, there is a coach either at the High School level or Middle School level that wants to build that program from the ground up. I will have to ask what Coach they was talking about. But I agree the Minerva Community is great to our Football players, time to make the team involved with the community again.
I would like to know who that is too.

Your team is up 63-0 and you are running play action pass with a little over a minute to go in the third quarter with your first team offense still in the game. One thing is for sure, you'll never confuse Salem's Ron Johnson with sportsmanship.

Your team is up 63-0 and you are running play action pass with a little over a minute to go in the third quarter with your first team offense still in the game. One thing is for sure, you'll never confuse Salem's Ron Johnson with sportsmanship.
so

So true. The words Ron Johnson and sportsmanship should never be in the same sentence. The guy is a bad winner and even worse loser

Battle of the warriors next week, that is going to be a fun game! There is really no clear favorite for the league title right now but West Branch probably has the edge. They have a lot of weapons on offense and hard to stop. I think Salem has the best chance to beat them. But get some rain on that grass field at Branch and it could be advantage Carrollton with their power running game.

Not sure what is worse though Dig, him doing that or our kids and coaching staff allowing him to. If there was even an ounce of pride left in our program, somebody would have been knocked on their.........
Johnson is a really good coach but I am not a fan of his either. I was at the game and it was the most painful game I have ever watched. He definitely poured salt in the wound in the 2nd half. It is very unlikely that we can be in any game but to have that may turnovers early in the game is just demoralizing. I think we had 4 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles and that’s the norm for every game. Changing the offense and personnel will not get us wins, but if we can get through the last few weeks and limit turnovers that would be a win in my book. Hundley will have to make some tough decisions and maybe switch positions just to give the kids a chance to be a little competitive.
Minerva gave up 42 points in the 1st quarter. Salem is good but they aren’t that good. Too many unforced errors.

Battle of the warriors next week, that is going to be a fun game! There is really no clear favorite for the league title right now but West Branch probably has the edge. They have a lot of weapons on offense and hard to stop. I think Salem has the best chance to beat them. But get some rain on that grass field at Branch and it could be advantage Carrollton with their power running game.
Tricky, WB should not have been in a game with Howland, they arnt the Howland of the past, they’re not horrible but the deveon smith days are gone for a long time I would imagine. I would give a slight edge the other way, I could be dead wrong tho that’s what’s great about high school
Sports

I definitely give a huge advantage to West Branch next week. I cant even remember the last time Carrollton has beaten West Branch. Im hoping for a good game with no injuries cause Carrollton is in a brutal stretch of games right now.

I know I’m a little late but it took me a minute to process Friday night for the Dukes. But, I’m seriously convinced this Marlington team would be just as good (or better) with no coaching staff at all. Absolute chaos every Friday night on both sides of the ball.

Game of the week, Carrollton at West Branch. I like WB pullng away late 45-28. WB's passing offene is as good as adveritised but they can also run the ball. I don't think Carrollton will be able to score with them and WB puts them away in the 4th.

Alliance at Canton South. this will be another great game and should be a close. I like South 28-21 but it could go either way.

Salem at Marlington, Salem rolls 45-14.

Southeast at Minerva: Undefeated Southeast over the Lions 51-6.

the top 5 teams can all beat each other, i wouldn'd be surprised if there are co-champs aor everny tri-champs this year.

I know I’m a little late but it took me a minute to process Friday night for the Dukes. But, I’m seriously convinced this Marlington team would be just as good (or better) with no coaching staff at all. Absolute chaos every Friday night on both sides of the ball.

I agree 2-8 is the most likely scenario. The worst part is the team has athletes, just appears they have never been coached a day in their life. In my opinion a staff change is needed if the Dukes Program wants to stay in EBC contention for years to come.

Been watching Dukes Football for a while now and this year (so far) seems like an all-time low for the program. The lack of discipline has led to circus-like play on Friday nights. Hope they can turn it around soon because the last two weeks have been tough on the eyes.

Just a couple of observations with no judgement.

1. Regarding...."this year (so far) seems like an all-time low for the program." Things are not great right now for Marlington football, but if you think this is truly the all-time low for the program, you weren't around in the 80s and early 90s.
2. For those who do have a longer memory, Marlington football has come a LOOOONG way since those days and people at Marlington have enjoyed relative football success over the past decade and half or a little more.
3. However, at nearly all mid-sized public schools, athletics run in cycles and anyone who has attended any middle school and freshman football games over the past 5 or 6 years would know that Marlington did not have the loaded classes coming that they once did.
Great kids.....but not loaded classes.
4. "The worst part is the team has athletes." Of course they do. All teams have athletes. But, that's a very ambiguous and unmeasurable statement. Lets look at it from a more measurable standpoint.
-Marlington's Senior Class: Great group of kids and talented in many ways. In 7th and 8th grade combined, they won 2 out of 16 games.
-Marlington's Junior Class: Once again....super kids, great students, but..... In 7th and 8th grade combined, they won 4 out of 16 games.
-The freshman and sophomores did better in MS. But....lets be real....you're not going to win on Friday nights with 9th and 10th graders unless they are spectacular athletes. Marlington has not, and does not, have a freshman or sophomore with the ability to consistently alter a varsity game since Dymonte Thomas was a sophomore. I can assure that there are no Dymonte Thomas's anywhere at Marlington HS right now.
My point: Losing is frustrating, but anyone who has "been watching Dukes football for a while now" should have seen last year and this year coming. Marlington simply does not have the horses right now that Duke fans have gotten used to over the past decade or so. I'm quite sure that nobody is more frustrated, and working harder to get better, than the coaching staff.

Respect and best of luck to all.

Last edited:
Let's try:

Carrollton 28 at West Branch 34

Alliance 20 at Canton South 28

Salem 42 at Marlington 21

Southeast 47 at Minerva 13

Let's try:

Carrollton 28 at West Branch 34

Alliance 20 at Canton South 28

Salem 42 at Marlington 21

Southeast 47 at Minerva 13
The Quakers have a tough finish after Marlington. I don't think there is anyway they score 21 on Salem..

1. Regarding...."this year (so far) seems like and all-time low for the program." Things are not good right now for Marlington football, but if you think this is truly the all-time low for the program, you weren't around in the 80s and early 90s.
2. For those who do have a longer memory, Marlington football has come a LOOOONG way since those days and people at Marlington have enjoyed relative football success over the past decade and half or a little more.
3. However, at nearly all mid-sized public schools, athletics run in cycles and anyone who has attended any middle school and freshman football games over the past 5 or 6 years would know that Marlington did not have loaded classes coming that they once did.
4. "The worst part is the team has athletes." Of course they do. All teams have athletes. But, that's a very ambiguous and unmeasurable statement. Lets look at it from a more measurable standpoint.
-Marlington's Senior Class: Great group of kids and talented in many ways. In 7th and 8th grade combined, they won 2 out of 16 games.
-Marlington's Junior Class: Once again....super kids, great students, but..... In 7th and 8th grade combined, they won 4 out of 16 games.
-The freshman and sophomores did better in MS. But....lets be real....you're not going to win on Friday nights with 9th and 10th graders unless they are spectacular athletes. Marlington has not, and does not, have a freshman or sophomore with the ability to consistently alter a varsity game since Dymonte Thomas was a sophomore. I can assure that there are no Dymonte Thomas's anywhere at Marlington HS right now.
My point: Losing is frustrating, but anyone who has "been watching Dukes football for a while now" should have seen last year and this year coming. Marlington simply does not have the horses right now that Duke fans have gotten used to over the past decade or so. I'm quite sure that nobody is more frustrated, and working harder to get better, than the coaching staff.

Great post. What I saw against Minerva was good skilled kids but not really good in the trenches. Minerva's QB had time to throw and the Lions did get QB pressure at times, with no kids at or over 200 lbs on defense. Fans get caught up in glamour of the skilled kids it today's football, but it still comes down to the line of scrimmage and I am guessing the Dukes lose the battle on most nights.

I'd love to see it. I just don't see carrollton beating west branch due to the history but i would love to see it
Well almost exactly 2 years ago Minerva beat WB with a very good running back running right at them, now WBs offense has changed since then and light up the scoreboad but they seem to struggle against a strong running game (CVCA last year). So if Carrollton can get some stops and control the ball you never know. This should be a heck of a game..

1. Regarding...."this year (so far) seems like an all-time low for the program." Things are not great right now for Marlington football, but if you think this is truly the all-time low for the program, you weren't around in the 80s and early 90s.
3. However, at nearly all mid-sized public schools, athletics run in cycles and anyone who has attended any middle school and freshman football games over the past 5 or 6 years would know that Marlington did not have the loaded classes coming that they once did.

I appreciate you for putting time and thought into your post and I do see where you are coming from in some aspects. Although, some I think you are mistaken. I agree that the program was very bad back in the 80s, but I will say this program now is getting very poor as well.
Not to speak on the X’s and O’s at all, this program obviously teaches no discipline to their players whatsoever. When I see kids not paying attention to the game with their helmets off on the sideline, laughing, down 50 something is wrong with the atmosphere. I have witnessed multiple players across the track interacting with fans during the game, also down 50. I don’t care if they don’t have athletes (which they do) and lose every game. But, these kids better be disciplined and ready to play. I guarantee you that this football team would look drastically different with either Balderson or Miley at the helm.
I agree the coaches are working hard to get this thing turned around. But maybe they should start from square-one and teach the things that matter and go from there. A wise man once said, “Work smarter not harder.”

I appreciate you for putting time and thought into your post and I do see where you are coming from in some aspects. Although, some I think you are mistaken. I agree that the program was very bad back in the 80s, but I will say this program now is getting very poor as well.
Not to speak on the X’s and O’s at all, this program obviously teaches no discipline to their players whatsoever. When I see kids not paying attention to the game with their helmets off on the sideline, laughing, down 50 something is wrong with the atmosphere. I have witnessed multiple players across the track interacting with fans during the game, also down 50. I don’t care if they don’t have athletes (which they do) and lose every game. But, these kids better be disciplined and ready to play. I guarantee you that this football team would look drastically different with either Balderson or Miley at the helm.
I agree the coaches are working hard to get this thing turned around. But maybe they should start from square-one and teach the things that matter and go from there. A wise man once said, “Work smarter not harder.”
Discipline has never been a strong suit for Marlington and probably why they only won 2 NBC/EBC titles during the tenures of Miley and Baldeson since 2007. In fact I think they only won 3 since the inception of the NBC. It's hard to believe that Miley had D1 power 5 players and won 1 NBC title in 2010 and Balderson won one in 2016. I would argue that those 2 under acheived. How do not win in 2010 with Thomas, hill, Higgins, etc?? The last 2 years were the cleanest games we ever had with Marlington so i like the discipline.

I've been a Marlington supporter for 35 yrs. Yes Marlington was bad in the 80's but against federal league competition. I've been to 3 games this yr and it's been pathetic. Never went to a game where a team has scored every time they had the ball " West Branch game". Dukes gave up 92 points in first half in 2 games. Yes kids were over matched at the line of scrimmage but still gave up every drive against the jv. Completely shocked to see this. Mr. Roosevelt you talk of Dymontae Thomas why????He was the best Marlington grad ever In football. There have been plenty of good Marlington teams to make the playoffs seen then. You bring up the middle school records of the current team but I remember Marlington going 10-0 on the varsity and undefeated on the jv and never winning a playoff game. There's no way we should be losing by almost 50 by halftime in any game! I respect your post but it seems your a coach or administrator or somehow affiliated w the program

I'm also confused about the freshmen and sophomore deal?? I looked up the players in the program and most of the started are seniors. Wow..what is your point about Dymonte playing as a sophomore???? Confused.

Discipline has never been a strong suit for Marlington and probably why they only won 2 NBC/EBC titles during the tenures of Miley and Baldeson since 2007. In fact I think they only won 3 since the inception of the NBC. It's hard to believe that Miley had D1 power 5 players and won 1 NBC title in 2010 and Balderson won one in 2016. I would argue that those 2 under acheived. How do not win in 2010 with Thomas, hill, Higgins, etc?? The last 2 years were the cleanest games we ever had with Marlington so i like the discipline.
You like the discipline bc they were your closest games. Looked up Balderson record coached 4 yrs and 2 playoff appearances. Won league 1 time and came down to last game w Alliance 2 yrs in a row...underachieving????

You like the discipline bc they were your closest games. Looked up Balderson record coached 4 yrs and 2 playoff appearances. Won league 1 time and came down to last game w Alliance 2 yrs in a row...underachieving????
I am talking about about the 5 or 6 personal penalties in games, knocking kicker out targeting him, snapping a kid’s leg in half on a blind side hit 30 yards from our ball carrier- no reason to hit that kid. I will give you that Balderson was successful and probably a good coach and a may be a super guy , but his teams had a lot of penalties in the games I saw and he would have 2 wins this year too- Miley had probably the most talent in stark county and underachieved in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.