The most unusual high school stadium construction you have ever seen?...

SWGA Fan

My two are the intimate lil stadium in Glascock County, Georgia, where there is no traffic light in the entire county. They routinely dressed out approx. 15 players. I talked to a ref once about officiating their game. And he said that his crew normally counts 1-11 for each team, prior to the snap. In Glascock's case, when he determined that they only had fifteen players. He just turned around to the bench and counted to four.

ANYWHO, the reason for this post was, that Glascock Co. had the TRUE meaning of a coffin corner. Their field was perched on the side of a hill. And there was a twenty foot drop off, beyond the corner of the out of bounds marker. With a three-foot restraining fence, to prevent any early exits from the field.

The other unique stadium was the Granite Bowl in Elberton, Ga., (the alleged Granite Capitol of the World) and home of K.C. Chiefs WR., Mecole Hardman. ANYWHO, The Granite Bowl, as you may have guessed, was carved out of a mini canyon of granite, next to the high school. Only fairly recently, has actual seating been added. It is said to accommodate some 20,000 fans, although I find that a tad exaggerated, like by 14,000. But it also sports what could possibly be the largest high school scoreboard in the country. One of their fans was a big donor at UGA at the time when the DAWGS were looking to upgrade their current scoreboard. And the donor talked the administration into donating it to Elbert Co., IF they could get it home. DONE DEAL, as it turned out.