The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

Woke vs Non Woke
BBAE36B0-AFEE-4887-B9E2-A1F73DFCB0C6.png
416508DA-98F1-4630-AD5E-081435BFB9AA.png

damn, my theater is showing the first two episodes to Rings of Power on the big screen. Got sidetracked at work and missed out on tickets.

damn, my theater is showing the first two episodes to Rings of Power on the big screen. Got sidetracked at work and missed out on tickets.

guess it wouldn't have matter. Theaters all over the country sold out in a matter of minutes, despite only announcing it last night. Even crashed Cinemark's website this morning. Tons of interest in the new show.

Lots of great feedback coming out of the in cinema premieres last night of Rings of Power.

Mostly good to great reviews. The main criticism I’ve heard is that the first episode feels a little slow as they are doing the world building and establishing characters, but that things really pick up in episode 2. I imagine that’s part of why they are starting with a two episode premiere. Something some of us have discussed elsewhere that She-Hulk maybe should have done.

Most state though that it maintains the look and feel of Tolkien’s work. Saw a number of comments praising the writing/dialogue.

Last edited:
As with all things, what isn't said or addressed tells as much or more about the subject than what is explicitly stated. It's telling that most of the good reviews focus on the quality of the production and visuals, and they all universally seem to take a "we need to see more" analysis for the story - though they all seem to lowkey dislike the "hobbits".

I predicted a long time ago that this will never see the planned 5-6 seasons all the way through. I'll stand by that. It may have good viewership for a bit. Maybe the full first season. But it will quickly lose its audience as it becomes more and more apparent this isn't at all something Tolkien would have written.

Just a couple perspectives that seem to line up with the most common sentiments so far: it's a weak Tolkien knockoff that doesn't accomplish much of anything other than taking a big steaming pile. It's going to be what the sequel trilogy is to Star Wars, an addition so weak that people will retroactively say "the Hobbit movies are actually pretty good".

I think the nutshell so far would be comparing the scenes in Moria and the fight with the troll to the beginning bit where Galadriel and her group of warriors explore Sauron or Morgoth's dungeon-thing and fight an ice troll.

Last edited:
“Things change” is an inadequate attempt to sweep away bad decisions. It’s a self-righteous, narcissistic declaration that you have the right and authority to infiltrate whatever existing story there is, and mold it to your desires. This is highly inappropriate and completely incorrect. It is precisely this attitude that has created the poor “changes” we’ve seen the past - what - decade now? The lack of respect for the existing stories and the insistence of injecting real world politics - your preferred politics - into them is why you people drag down everything you touch.

The show is going to bomb badly. The majority of Tolkien fans have no interest. The majority of the public has no interest in Intersectional Middle Earth. It is likely to cause a complete reset of our media industry. Netflix has already begun kicking you people out. This will make that look like small potatoes.

Lastly, you will get nowhere ignoring peoples concerns and calling them racist. It is clear you have no mind of your own. You are completely lost.

So much for bombing badly

Oh look, the premiere was huge despite what the lunatics in this thread would have you believe lmao

Lol. And the aftermath? Amazon removing the show from the ratings system, IMDB shutting down ratings and reviews, Rotten Tomatoes freezing then adjusting audience ratings, and a bunch of media going to bat to defend the show from the absolute blood bath of a response from audiences. It premiered well because of curiosity. It will not have anywhere near 25 million people watching by the end of the season. They'll be lucky to retain 25% of that audience, a disaster for a $1b show.

Oh an on top of it, more virtue signaling from Hollywood and calling people who don't like changes to Tolkein's universe and story that don't make sense racist.

Last edited:
The "aftermath" only happening because a bunch of losers are mad there are black people in Middle Earth 😭 Nobody gives a **** MoeDudesaders. The show is a huge hit. Give it up

Black hobbits scare some people. lol
This is a gross over simplification of what those that don't like the new series are basing it on. I happen to like Rings of Power and think it's excellent but among those that don't like it "black Hobbits" are not even on the radar.

The "aftermath" only happening because a bunch of losers are mad there are black people in Middle Earth 😭 Nobody gives a **** MoeDudesaders. The show is a huge hit. Give it up
Again throwing out racism to explain a disagreement over an artistic/entertainment effort. What total BS. You're to dense to understand what the Tolkien fans are complaining about so you reflexively throw out a charge of racism.

I thought episode 3 was outstanding. The story is being built brick by brick, the performances are quite good and the series is spectacular to look at.

Black hobbits scare some people. lol
This is a gross over simplification of what those that don't like the new series are basing it on. I happen to like Rings of Power and think it's excellent but among those that don't like it "black Hobbits" are not even on the radar.

Gee, I didn't direct that comment to anyone in particular..... 😅 What exactly are your qualifications to speak for "those that don't like it?"

I'm not obsessed with hobbits or rings. I just noticed certain posters having conniptions even before the first airing. For the health of all, I hope their spincters have released after actually seeing a few episodes. To me it's been slow, uneventfully shot and the lead acting uninspiring. But I've nothing else to do....

Last edited:

The domestic total viewership was just 1.8 million over the first 4 days for the first episode, and 1.3m for the second. They lost 25% of their audience from the first episode to the second, and they were launched on the same day. Literally 25% of the people couldn't have been bothered to just let the app play the next episode lol

Please give it up. This show is not going to last unless it is completely revamped for the second season

The domestic total viewership was just 1.8 million over the first 4 days for the first episode, and 1.3m for the second. They lost 25% of their audience from the first episode to the second, and they were launched on the same day. Literally 25% of the people couldn't have been bothered to just let the app play the next episode lol

Please give it up. This show is not going to last unless it is completely revamped for the second season
And it's doing great globally. Not to mention that hold episode to episode is pretty good lol

AA11CgyU.img

Second season is already filming and I'm sure it will continue to rack up millions and millions of viewers worldwide

I guess that means more *gasp* black people in the shire and more paragraphs of angry drivel on the internet by incels

Lol yeah, it can't be fans of Tolkien upset over the bastardization of the universe, it's just racists and incels mad about black people. Lol. How small minded. I'm sure these sorts of comments are a hit on Reddit but you're going to have to do better here, not that you have the mental capacity to understand anything being said to you on this topic.

Losing 13% of your audience from the first episode to the second is horrible, especially when the second episode is immediately available. lol All of those shows are struggling for a reason: they're not good.

The push back against audiences is honestly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. It's not the audiences who made a bad show, and they're under no obligation to like it "for the message". They don't want a woke message, they want Tolkien, and this isn't it.

Amazon will try everything it can to ram the show through because they've hitched the entire existence of their streaming platform to its success. Unfortunately for them, that will not work.

Last edited:
The push back against audiences is honestly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. It's not the audiences who made a bad show, and they're under no obligation to like it "for the message". They don't want a woke message, they want Tolkien, and this isn't it.

Which parts have been "woke" and which parts are not Tolkien, so far? Specific examples. Characterizations and societies seem to me pretty much the same as the original three so far, so I'm not able to discern.