The Lakota West Firebirds 2023-2024 Thread

Bishop Fenwick standout Vincent Giordano has transferred to Lakota West for his senior year, per his Twitter. I presume he'll primarily be a defensive lineman. I'm unsure of his connection to LW, but Bolden has pulled some monstrous size, bolstering the trenches.

Bishop Fenwick standout Vincent Giordano has transferred to Lakota West for his senior year, per his Twitter. I presume he'll primarily be a defensive lineman. I'm unsure of his connection to LW, but Bolden has pulled some monstrous size, bolstering the trenches.
hes up to his old tricks

hes up to his old tricks
Really unsure and wouldn't know how to find this, but does anyone actually know how many transfers LW have gotten since he's been there? Hard to imagine at a school like that they couldn't just win with in-district kids? I guess if you're not getting caught why not?

Really unsure and wouldn't know how to find this, but does anyone actually know how many transfers LW have gotten since he's been there? Hard to imagine at a school like that they couldn't just win with in-district kids? I guess if you're not getting caught why not?
A LOT!!!!

And with OHSAA not enforcing their rules, it's the wild-west.

If we’re just counting starters, I believe 13 transfers in the past 4-5 years.

I think the transfer thing at Lakota West is on a much smaller scale than advertised, but when you get the bigger name transfers like Jyaire Brown or Kameron Vargas, Taebron Bennie-Powell, etc; it gets blown out of proportion.

If we’re just counting starters, I believe 13 transfers in the past 4-5 years.
Interesting. You seem to have pretty good pulse on the program. I hear people around the HS coaching world delegitimize what Bolden & co have done there because of the transfers/recruiting. Seems like there is a lot of smoke around that fire. I personally don't have a take one way or another. Just was curious. Like I said, if you're not getting caught, why not do it.

I think the transfer thing at Lakota West is on a much smaller scale than advertised, but when you get the bigger name transfers like Jyaire Brown or Kameron Vargas, Taebron Bennie-Powell, etc; it gets blown out of proportion.

Blown out of proportion? Who in Cincy is getting more transfers than West? I guess none of these players have ever had to sit out? I smell a Rat.

Interesting. You seem to have pretty good pulse on the program. I hear people around the HS coaching world delegitimize what Bolden & co have done there because of the transfers/recruiting. Seems like there is a lot of smoke around that fire. I personally don't have a take one way or another. Just was curious. Like I said, if you're not getting caught, why not do it.
I like to believe in the ole saying “If you build it, they come.”

I think Bolden has built it, and the recruits are coming themselves.

Blown out of proportion? Who in Cincy is getting more transfers than West? I guess none of these players have ever had to sit out? I smell a Rat.
Incorrect. For example, Bukari Miles had to sit out half of the season his Sophomore year. If parents decide to make a bonafide move into the district, it’s a completely legal transfer. Taebron Bennie-Powell for example, moved into the West district in order to transfer from East. Jackson Smith, and Vincent Giordano most recently, moved into homes within the district.

Lakota West is an extremely attractive landing place for a lot of players. He’s put out more Division 1 talent than anyone around. He has connections all across the country. If you’re moving, why not try to get into West Chester and get your kid to Lakota West.

I hear people around the HS coaching world delegitimize what Bolden & co have done there because of the transfers/recruiting.
I mean Bolden also has done really well with home-grown talent.

In the past 3-4 years Malik Hartford, Ben Minich, Josh Fussell, Tegra Tshabola, Alex Afari among many others, are all home-grown kids.

I mean Bolden also has done really well with home-grown talent.

In the past 3-4 years Malik Hartford, Ben Minich, Josh Fussell, Tegra Tshabola, Alex Afari among many others, are all home-grown kids.
Yes, those kids have done well, but would the team have achieved as much without the influx of transfers?

Same could be said for the schools I mentioned above.

Yes, those kids have done well, but would the team have achieved as much without the influx of transfers?

Same could be said for the schools I mentioned above.
Could Bolden have made it to the regional finals those years without the transfers. I think he could have. But I think the result would be the same.

As a parent, imagine your kid has waited his turn. He’s worked his butt off, and done everything the coach asked of him. However, just when it’s his time to start, some random kid transfers in that Bolden will start no matter what because they “have DI offers”.

Incorrect. For example, Bukari Miles had to sit out half of the season his Sophomore year. If parents decide to make a bonafide move into the district, it’s a completely legal transfer. Taebron Bennie-Powell for example, moved into the West district in order to transfer from East. Jackson Smith, and Vincent Giordano most recently, moved into homes within the district.

Lakota West is an extremely attractive landing place for a lot of players. He’s put out more Division 1 talent than anyone around. He has connections all across the country. If you’re moving, why not try to get into West Chester and get your kid to Lakota West.
Do you have supporting info Giordano moved? He started at Kings where their home is then on to Fenwick. I think bylaws allow a transfer back to home district, but not necessarily to another district. As far as OHSAA goes, it seems Senior transfers like Giordano have been given more leeway while underclassmen have often been required to miss half the season. As long as OHSAA takes that approach it will continue to happen at an increasing level.

Do you have supporting info Giordano moved? He started at Kings where their home is then on to Fenwick. I think bylaws allow a transfer back to home district, but not necessarily to another district. As far as OHSAA goes, it seems Senior transfers like Giordano have been given more leeway while underclassmen have often been required to miss half the season. As long as OHSAA takes that approach it will continue to happen at an increasing level.
For the "Big Name" programs, I can't think of a single transfer that has had to sit games regardless of their year.

As a parent, imagine your kid has waited his turn. He’s worked his butt off, and done everything the coach asked of him. However, just when it’s his time to start, some random kid transfers in that Bolden will start no matter what because they “have DI offers”.
At the end of the day, the best 11 will see the field. Transfers are part of the game now. This applies at EVERY level. Not all of the time, but most of the time, these kids have D1 offers because they have shown that they currently play, or soon will play at an elite level. That’s obviously going to correlate with the HS coach’s evaluation of them as well.

For the "Big Name" programs, I can't think of a single transfer that has had to sit games regardless of their year.
I was thinking of the Crumble kid in basketball. Their family bought a house and OHSAA did not approve the exemption. I think OHSAA may look closer at a kid who says he's transferring before the family actually makes a move. But then again you had a kid at Glenville eligible whose dad still owns a home in Twinsburg.

Hicks.jpg

2024-2025 Lakota West Starting Roster at a Glance:
QB:
Jackson Smith**, Sam Wiles*
RB: Braydon Johnson*, Kenyon Norman
TE: Luka Gilbert*, Jack Barela
WR: Trey Barnette*, Reece Mason, (???)
OT: Christian O'Neal*, Jacob Tillery*
OG: Carson Stanley*, Rogan McKinley
C: Logan Gray*
----------------------------
DL: Judah King, Cole Munday, (???)
ILB: Micah Markley*, Grant Beerman*
OLB: Cam Thomas*, Nate Huggins
CB: (???)
S: Finn Mason*, Joel Drake
----------------------------
P: Joel Marquardt
K: ???

*= Returning Starter

Based on my own evaluation and prediction based on performance/PT last season.
How do you think the QB battle will shake out? The Smth kid played was starter early on but then got surpassed by the Wiles kid correct?

At the end of the day, the best 11 will see the field. Transfers are part of the game now. This applies at EVERY level. Not all of the time, but most of the time, these kids have D1 offers because they have shown that they currently play, or soon will play at an elite level. That’s obviously going to correlate with the HS coach’s evaluation of them as well.
Was Smith a member of the best 11? Or was he given unwarranted praise because he’s a 6’3 Freshman who’s ranked high on some recruiting website?

How do you think the QB battle will shake out? The Smth kid played was starter early on but then got surpassed by the Wiles kid correct?
I personally think Wiles has reached his ceiling. Smith has much more upside and I predict he’ll make a lot of positive strides in the offseason. I think Bolden will roll with Smith.