The Greatest Games that Never Were

Ah, 2011 was the one I was thinking about.
Doesnt matter, we werent stopping either one of those tUYU teams.

[/QUOT

Coldwater always had the misfortune of getting Ursuline when they had an absolutely brutal rushing attack. I vaguely remember the 2000 game, I think that was the year. Ursuline had 400 or 500 yards rushing. I think Coldwater may have passed for 400 or 500 also.

Yeah, those RBs were FROSH, or a FROSH and SOPH. Dont think either finished their careers for tUYU, but I could be mistaken.
IF I recall correctly, MSML walked in during the game to an applause.
That game came down to the points after TO's.
CW got a FG, and tUYU got a TD and then CW got stuffed on 4th and goal at the end of the game. They get that, an onside ensues and then who knows.......

Wow, that was a debacle....and then their coach spouted off about being pubic school champions. Apparently he forgot to check the last name directory at DSJ.

I always went with Eastern Ohio champion. Would not have sniffed a regional championship on the west side of the state that year. Even if they only played public schools.

MSML only lost to Delphos St. John's by 4 points that year. We always just see St. John's as another MAC team. Nothing to do with private/public. That was a sad statement if Shadyside coach said that.

2010 was the one with Ethan Bettinger the backup. 2011 was Christian Hauber the looking like a 30 year old manchild and us having 5 starters on defense out or hobbled.

2010 was the one with Ethan Bettinger the backup. 2011 was Christian Hauber the looking like a 30 year old manchild and us having 5 starters on defense out or hobbled.
yeah, that is what i meant. Admirable effort by the Cavs but that is the nature of football, it can be a game of attrition.
What do they say about the NFL anymore.......one of the best ability to have is availability?

2001 WGH vs 2002 WGH, 1972 WWR vs 1974 WGH or 1971 WGH.

Any of the above vs 1990 WGH. 2001 WGH would beat all of them IMO.

A non-consolidated 1990 WWR Raiders vs 1990 WGH Panthers. Just to highlight how much of the 1990 WGH state-title team was WWR talent. :)

A friend of mine (who will remain nameless) from the '90 squad swears that they would've pounded '01. I seriously doubt that.

Another friend from the '94 squad swears that they would've beaten '01 as well, but he got upset with me when I said that they lost to Fitch 27-0. LOL.

MSML only lost to Delphos St. John's by 4 points that year. We always just see St. John's as another MAC team. Nothing to do with private/public. That was a sad statement if Shadyside coach said that.

I’d love to see the quote, because all I’ve seen are rumors of it. Everything I’ve read from Shadyside’s coach’s postgame quotes contained glowing praise of DSJ. The negative stuff - even if it isn’t true - gets all the attention.

I’d love to see the quote, because all I’ve seen are rumors of it. Everything I’ve read from Shadyside’s coach’s postgame quotes contained glowing praise of DSJ. The negative stuff - even if it isn’t true - gets all the attention.

I'm with you on that. That's why I said "If" he made that statement. I never read that quote either.

That game was the perfect storm. Shadyside beat Mogadore fairly easy in the state semi final. It was a really down year on the eastern side of the state. Delphos was on a mission after that senior class won as sophomores then coughed up the title game as juniors. Factor in a motivated team and a coach with a chip about all state players and lack of college scholarship offers and a beat down was unavoidable. It ended up being legendary because shadyside player everyone and dsj kept guys in a little longer than they normally would have. Believe the quote of public school state champ stuff wasn't the coach but an article by a local sports writer in the times leader.

That game was the perfect storm. Shadyside beat Mogadore fairly easy in the state semi final. It was a really down year on the eastern side of the state. Delphos was on a mission after that senior class won as sophomores then coughed up the title game as juniors. Factor in a motivated team and a coach with a chip about all state players and lack of college scholarship offers and a beat down was unavoidable. It ended up being legendary because shadyside player everyone and dsj kept guys in a little longer than they normally would have. Believe the quote of public school state champ stuff wasn't the coach but an article by a local sports writer in the times leader.

I think you are right about the local writer come to think of it....but I am pretty sure a Shadyside coach contributed to that as well.

2005 Lake Catholic (QB Rick Stanzi - Iowa) was #1 in DIII for just about the whole season as I recall. Played a horrible game in round 2 of the playoffs and lost to Youngstown Liberty. Steubenville won state that year. Would have been great to see those two teams get together.

"And while he represented the sanctity of the moment on the part of winner Delphos, their fifth state title in football, he no doubt heard the sentiments of the Shadyside patrons, as well, who chanted from the stands “Public School Champions” as the Blue Jays were being presented the winner’s trophy. "

Shadyside fans chanting "Public school champions" while DSJ gets their trophy. will look for the quote on their coach stating it, of which I am certain I saw from a local to their area publication.

"And while he represented the sanctity of the moment on the part of winner Delphos, their fifth state title in football, he no doubt heard the sentiments of the Shadyside patrons, as well, who chanted from the stands “Public School Champions” as the Blue Jays were being presented the winner’s trophy. "

Shadyside fans chanting "Public school champions" while DSJ gets their trophy. will look for the quote on their coach stating it, of which I am certain I saw from a local to their area publication.

I don't know how you can chant anything after getting obliterated like that. Some people make me laugh when they don't realize how small and rural Delphos is when they talk about some private schools. Especially during that run by Delphos too in the late 2000s to early 2010s.

I don't know how you can chant anything after getting obliterated like that. Some people make me laugh when they don't realize how small and rural Delphos is when they talk about some private schools. Especially during that run by Delphos too in the late 2000s to early 2010s.
"Back in the day" people used to think St Henry was private!
I recall going to a SH playoff game in the mid 90s. Waiting in the concession line the dad (presumed) was telling his kids that St Henry was a private school, and all the good FB players go there and the good baseball players go to Coldwater! (this was before CW was any good in FB)

"Back in the day" people used to think St Henry was private!
I recall going to a SH playoff game in the mid 90s. Waiting in the concession line the dad (presumed) was telling his kids that St Henry was a private school, and all the good FB players go there and the good baseball players go to Coldwater! (this was before CW was any good in FB)

haha I'd believe that.

It still stuns me they played DCC to a 7-14 game.

Re: “public school champions”, I’m pretty sure this is more attributable to the former Western Reserve football coach yelling that as Newark Catholic won the baseball state title around the same time than it is Shadyside/DSJ.

It still stuns me they played DCC to a 7-14 game.

Re: “public school champions”, I’m pretty sure this is more attributable to the former Western Reserve football coach yelling that as Newark Catholic won the baseball state title around the same time than it is Shadyside/DSJ.
I was at the DSJ/DCC game. They play 10 times I think it is a 5-5 split.

That Princeton team was outstanding. I don't know how it lost 2 games, granted Week 10 was to nearly invincible Moeller.
They were outstanding. Massillon's only loss that year was to the very team Princeton beat in the finals. Garfield beat Massillon 14-10 I believe it was, in week 2 with Massillon's starting QB on the sidelines. Massillon went 9-1 and missed the playoffs.

2005 Lake Catholic (QB Rick Stanzi - Iowa) was #1 in DIII for just about the whole season as I recall. Played a horrible game in round 2 of the playoffs and lost to Youngstown Liberty. Steubenville won state that year. Would have been great to see those two teams get together.

Easy there killer. Big Red was 1, Lake was 4. Haha. Either way that would of been a great matchup

26765028-64AA-434F-97C7-E24CAD7543B2.jpeg

Would have liked to seen how 2002 Ursuline with all of that talent matched up against Ben Mauk and Kenton. Unfortunately the Irish dropped the semi final game to Portsmouth West.

They were outstanding. Massillon's only loss that year was to the very team Princeton beat in the finals. Garfield beat Massillon 14-10 I believe it was, in week 2 with Massillon's starting QB on the sidelines. Massillon went 9-1 and missed the playoffs.
I just remember how the Vikings abused my Little Giants that year.

I seem to remember that Upper Arlington beat that 83 Princeton team pretty good. Something like 35-17 or 36-19, somewhere in that area.
Thank you. I knew 2 losses and to Moeller on Week 10. I didn't know the other culprit. But, it makes sense as UA was a power dating to late 60s.

Thank you. I knew 2 losses and to Moeller on Week 10. I didn't know the other culprit. But, it makes sense as UA was a power dating to late 60s.

Yeah, I think they played each other three different times in weeks 10 and 11. I know that the 83 game was the only time Princeton beat Moeller in 5 playoff meetings.