The 2021 StX Football Schedule: Weakest in 30 years

The much respected and scientific Yappi.com poll has voted the St. Xavier Bombers out of the #1 spot replaced with the St. Edward Eagles out of Lakewood, Ohio.

1 St Edward (Lakewood) (4-0) (283) [8]
2 St Xavier (Cincinnati) (4-0) (276) [20]
3 Medina (Medina) (4-0) (175)
4 Springfield (Springfield) (3-0) (161) [2]
5 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) (4-0) (154) [1]
6 Pickerington Central (Pickerington) (3-1) (117)
7 Lakota West (West Chester) (3-1) (112)
8 Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington) (4-0) (101)
9 Marysville (Marysville) (3-0) (62)
10 St Ignatius (Cleveland) (2-2) (52) [1]
Just means more Clevelanders on Yappi...how the heck can a 2-2 team b in the Top 10?

I can't quibble much with the top two-- it's so hard to know (yet) what to think about the relative merits of those two-- but, we WILL get a read soon, with them having 3 opponents (Elder, Moeller, Ig) in common...

I do have some issues with Medina at #3, Moeller at #5, UA at #8, and Marysville at #9-- other than Moeller, those other three may be justified-- but I'd like to know whom they have played so far- who are the best teams that each of them has beaten?

It's odd that X got 28 first place votes and Ed's only 8, but Ed's is at #1. I think you must have some haters that purposely left X out of the top 10.

The first AP poll will be released this week that I think will have X rightfully at #1. The defending state champs who are undefeated and have blown out everyone should be #1. Ed's makes a strong case, but I give X the tiebreaker for now being defending state champs.

Reactions: 4GX
Have the Wildcats played at Strongsville HS before?
Neither the Wildcats nor the Bombers have played at Strongsville's Pat Catan stadium
It was constructed in 2002 with turf and seats 5200. Nice stadium. Pretty convenient - <10 minutes off the Ohio 82 exit of I-71.
The last time Ignatius played At Strongsville was in 2001 at its old Taliak Field, which thankfully was torn down after that '01 season

Looking forward to the combined Wildcat-Bomber tailgate. That's a lot of fun with the Blue & Gold fans mixing with the Blue & White fans.
In the past, the tailgate has been well attended by fans of both schools

Just means more Clevelanders on Yappi...how the heck can a 2-2 team b in the Top 10?
Easy-- play a really tough schedule-- and lose a couple of those early tough games, by close margins, when you probably could or should have won both of them-- kind of like X did last year.

The much respected and scientific Yappi.com poll has voted the St. Xavier Bombers out of the #1 spot replaced with the St. Edward Eagles out of Lakewood, Ohio.

1 St Edward (Lakewood) (4-0) (283) [8]
2 St Xavier (Cincinnati) (4-0) (276) [20]
3 Medina (Medina) (4-0) (175)
4 Springfield (Springfield) (3-0) (161) [2]
5 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) (4-0) (154) [1]
6 Pickerington Central (Pickerington) (3-1) (117)
7 Lakota West (West Chester) (3-1) (112)
8 Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington) (4-0) (101)
9 Marysville (Marysville) (3-0) (62)
10 St Ignatius (Cleveland) (2-2) (52) [1]
Yapsters on the main board hate the Bombers. I love it.

Center Grove (4-0), #10 in the country per MaxPreps, travels to North Central (0-4) this Friday for a guaranteed 2nd half turbo clock.

MaxPreps just updated the Super 25 and the Bombers are now #16 and Center Grove #10

USA Today has X #16 and Center Grove #12
StX narrows the gap with Center Grove in the MaxPreps Top 25: Center Grove #10 St. Xavier #13

StX Team Rank by Harbin Total (1972-present)

1. 45.44 St. Xavier 2007: 15-0 Beat Mentor in state final 27-0

2. 41.32 St. Xavier 2005: 15-0 Beat Massillon Washington in state final 24-17

3. 40.10 St. Xavier 2006: 10-2 Lost to Colerain in regional final 24-7

4. 39.18 St. Xavier 2004: 11-1 Lost to Moeller in 2nd round 10-7

5. 39.07 St. Xavier 2017: 11-2 Lost to Colerain in Region 4 final 21-14

6. 38.69 St. Xavier 2009: 9-3 Lost to Elder in 2nd round 17-14

7. 37.64 St. Xavier 1998: 11-2 Lost to Canton Mckinley in state final 33-10

8. 37.63 St. Xavier 2014: 10-3 Lost to Moeller in 3rd round 21-0

9. 37.51 St. Xavier 1999: 10-1 Lost to Dayton Wayne in regional final 37-14

10. 37.48 St. Xavier 2001: 13-1 Lost to St. Ignatius in state final 37-6
This year's projected regular season record (10-0) will result in a Harbin Total @34.00
Past StX teams that finished the regular season with a similar Harbin total had 3 losses
Evidence that the 2021 schedule is the weakest in the past 30 years and possibly the past 50 years.

This year's projected regular season record (10-0) will result in a Harbin Total @34.00
Past StX teams that finished the regular season with a similar Harbin total had 3 losses
Evidence that the 2021 schedule is the weakest in the past 30 years and possibly the past 50 years.
The last win is all that matters.....

The Bombers (5-0) move up 3 spots to #10 in the latest Maxpreps, just 1 spot behind #9 Center Grove (6-0).
Pretty soon the folks at MaxPreps will get it right and both teams will be top 5 hopefully before the potential October 1st meeting. If me and Herbie can pull it off it will be the first ever matchup between the 2 schools. Just need Trinity (0-4) to agree to play Pike (0-5) and vicey versey

Reactions: 4GX
The Bombers (5-0) move up 3 spots to #10 in the latest Maxpreps, just 1 spot behind #9 Center Grove (6-0).
Pretty soon the folks at MaxPreps will get it right and both teams will be top 5 hopefully before the potential October 1st meeting. If me and Herbie can pull it off it will be the first ever matchup between the 2 schools. Just need Trinity (0-4) to agree to play Pike (0-5) and vicey versey

Don't sleep on Cathedral upsetting Center Grove 10/15.

Center Grove - St X would be a lot of fun for everyone, just have a hard time believing it can be done at this point.

If there is a positive in playing the weakest schedule in 30 years it's that the team is healthy.
Koch missed 1 game but that's been about it.

The 2 worst seasons as far as injuries I remember are 2016 and 2008

2016 Bomber Injury Report (20 players on the season)
Altimari OL Knee in preseason out for year, Bockhorst OL Knee in preseason out for year, Clifford QB Foot/Knee missed 4 games, Dirksing OL Ankle missed 2 games, Early RB Shoulder missed 3 games, Farrar WR Concussion missed 1 game, Heimkreiter OL Ankle missed 2 games
Hopkins LB Knee in preseason out for year, Jefferson DL Leg in 1st qtr state semifinal missed final, Jones OL Shoulder in preseason out for year, Kiessling LB Shoulder missed 1 game, Kurz OL Knee missed 3 games, Paul CB Hand played injured with pin in hand, Payne RB Ankle missed 2 games, Raines WR Ankle missed 8 games, MRueve WR Shoulder out for year, Rumpke FS Concussion in LaSalle game, missed Warren Central, Shamsi WR Shoulder missed most of year, Stallworth CB Unknown missed 1 game, Wittrock WR Foot missed 2 games

The team finished 10-5 and state champions

2008 Injuries
The offense was decimated by more than a dozen injuries resulting in a 4-6 record, a Harbin total of 18.11 and no playoffs.
The defense led by seniors Luke Kuechley and Pat Muldoon held teams to a mere 7.3 points per game.
They lost their last 3 games each by a field goal: LaSalle 10-7, St. Ignatius 19-16 OT and Moeller 17-14

St. Ignatius was state champions that season.

Don't sleep on Cathedral upsetting Center Grove 10/15.
When they played last season in Week 9 both were undefeated and both ranked by most publications in top 25 in the nation.
Center Grove won 17-13

Both teams went on to win state championships, CG in 6A and Cathedral in 5A.

Cathedral will be at LaSalle on 10/1, the same night hoping to get CG and StX to square off by dropping winless Pike and Trinity respectively

Have the Wildcats played at Strongsville HS before?
No.

We have played Strongsville at their old crappy field, but not this one.

X is going to win by at least 3 TDs. The Ignatius offense is slow and can't move the ball. The defense is banged up.

X is on a different level than my Wildcats.

No.

We have played Strongsville at their old crappy field, but not this one.

X is going to win by at least 3 TDs. The Ignatius offense is slow and can't move the ball. The defense is banged up.

X is on a different level than my Wildcats.
Those 100-pound sandbags on each shoulder must get really heavy.

We'll see who's right after the game. You clearly aren't watching this year's Ignatius team.
No, I have not watched this year's Ig team. I understand that X will be (heavily) favored... I just think that, much like Elder this week, Ig will find a way to be much more competitive than the consensus view. I will not be surprised if Ig is MORE competitive with X than either Moeller or Elder were. If I had to bet, I'd say that Ig both gives up fewer points and scores fewer points than Elder and Moeller did against X... I'd put the score at 17-3 at half, and then, depending on how Ig defends the pass vs. the run, probably 31-6 or 38-10, or thereabout that range, at the end-- I'd even be willing to bet there is no running clock in this game.

I tend to doubt that "Joey Pfaff" is the best QB on any roster that X will face this year-- I'd bet that Drew Ramsay (if he plays QB) is better-- and probably so is Elder's regular QB (Hambleton)... there are probably some others too-- Pfaff is serviceable, but hardly the best of those 10 teams...
In hindsight the best QB X faced this year was that scrawny kid from Trinity.
Unlike most year's X didn't face a decent QB all season.
As for the Elder QBs, Ramsey can't throw a football and Hambleton has no escapability and might be color blind.
Hambleton's been sacked 25 times, thrown 10 intercetptions and his team has a losing record.

I can't speak for ReLoad, but I'd bet that most St. X football fans (that are paying attention to other teams) know about Ed already, and know that Ed is the biggest threat to X repeating-- and that's if X gets to a state title game. I'm not assuming that X is better than Ed, and I don't think the other knowledgable X fans are either.
I think Medina will win region 1

Hard to believe that you had LW losing to Princeton, ReLoad-- that result last night was as predictable as the sun rising this morning.

And your slam of Oak Hills (when you predicted that the only win between OH and Middletown would come in their head-to-head matchup) also is starting to look dubious-- OH gave LW a better game than Princeton did-- and I'd bet OH finds another win in the GMC somewhere along the way-- I wouldn't even put it past OH to beat Colerain this week... but more likely Hamilton, Sycamore, or one of the other rummies in the league (besides Middletown).
Princeton is 8-1 heading into the final game at home vs Colerain.
If they win that they will likely be the #3 seed in R4

In the battle of the winless the Middies beat the hapless Highlanders 33-23.
Oak Hills (0-9) has a chance to avoid a winless season at home vs Sycamore but don't bet on it.
Middletown's only win this season will be the Oak Hills game as they go to Fairfield on Friday.

2012 Opponents Results
Lakota West (11-2), Colerain (5-6), Powell Olentangy Liberty (5-6), Mishawaka Penn (6-6)
Moeller (11-3), Elder (6-6), Louisville Trinity (6-6), LaSalle (7-6), St. Ignatius (8-5) and Eagles Landing (6-6)

Cumulative Record: 71-52

As the 2021 season winds down and we see the fate of all the Bomber opponents, this was likely the weakest Bomber schedule since the 1980's when the Bombers were playing more GMC teams and possibly the 1960's when the GCL was an 8 team league that included Purcell, Roger Bacon, Newport Catholic and McNicholas.

7 opponents (Colerain, Liberty, Penn, Elder, LaSalle, Trinity and Iggy) were considerably down compared to year's past.
*Trinity in a year with a new coach and only 1 returning starter, will likely be in the KY big school title game in a couple weeks.

Bolden continues to build a powerhouse at LW and will likely continue to be StX week 1 opponent.

ELCA, a 1 time schedule filler that plays in a very select league of private schools with very low enrollment, paid little Harbin dividends.

And then there is the Evil Empire a program desperately trying to shake the curse of Fuzzy and return to it's glory years.
A program that has gone through 4 head coaches in the past 5 years is claiming a return to relevance after winning 4 post season games against 4 GMC teams with a defense that gives up nearly 400 yards per game.
Go figure.

2012 Opponents Results
Lakota West (11-2), Colerain (5-6), Powell Olentangy Liberty (5-6), Mishawaka Penn (6-6)
Moeller (11-3), Elder (6-6), Louisville Trinity (6-6), LaSalle (7-6), St. Ignatius (8-5) and Eagles Landing (6-6)

As the 2021 season winds down and we see the fate of all the Bomber opponents, this was likely the weakest Bomber schedule since the 1980's when the Bombers were playing more GMC teams and possibly the 1960's when the GCL was an 8 team league that included Purcell, Roger Bacon, Newport Catholic and McNicholas.

7 opponents (Colerain, Liberty, Penn, Elder, LaSalle, Trinity and Iggy) were considerably down compared to year's past.
*Trinity in a year with a new coach and only 1 returning starter, will likely be in the KY big school title game in a couple weeks.

Bolden continues to build a powerhouse at LW and will likely continue to be StX week 1 opponent.

ELCA, a 1 time schedule filler that plays in a very select league of private schools with very low enrollment, paid little Harbin dividends.

And then there is the Evil Empire a program desperately trying to shake the curse of Fuzzy and return to it's glory years.
A program that has gone through 4 head coaches in the past 5 years is claiming a return to relevance after winning 4 post season games against 4 GMC teams with a defense that gives up nearly 400 yards per game.
Go figure.
Your right! "Defense wins championships"! You and LW know better than anyone else.

2012 Opponents Results

Go figure.
$h!+ Happens GBM :)