The 2011-2012 Mid-American Conference Thread

Ohio and BG got a big lift from CMU beating EMU. That keeps EMU further away from a bye, and tonight's winner between the Bobcats and the Falcons will be in a good spot to get a top-4 seed.

It is a huge game tonight between the Bobkittens and the BG Finches. The winner is in the drivers seat for a top 4 spot and the loser is probably left on the outside looking dazzed.

Top 4

Akron
Kent
Buffalo
BG

Kent falls on the road to Miami 62-60. 2 late free throws clinch it for the RedHawks.

Maybe Wally being in town had something to do with the Miami win? :stirthepot:

If Ohio can steal one from Buffalo tonight on the road, you've got a 3-way tie for 2nd in the MAC East/MAC (MAC West :laugh:). Akron would have to really blow it to not have the top seed, yet crazier things have happened in the MAC before..

As a Kent State fan I find myself in a conundrum for Sunday night. Obviously it is tough to root for Akron, but if they lose out and we win out (unlikely I know) then we at least tie for the league. But on the flip side if Akron were to win then Ohio would fall a game back of second.

Part of me says Akron win :wallbang:
But of course there is the other side that says AKRON SUCKS! :) :stirthepot:

Akron only needs 1 win to clinch an outright championship. They do have 3 tough games visiting Ohio and Kent and taking on Buffalo at home.

Don't feel bad cheering from Akron. Kent State needs to pull ahead of Buffalo and Ohio. They ain't catching Akron so the 2 seed is the pie in the sky.

Found the tiebreaker thing online somewhere. It's division record for division champion only. Then winning % vs. ranked conference opponents. Then coin flip. http://www.mac-sports.com/News/tabid/969/Article/145335/mac-basketball-tie-breaker-information.aspx

Eastern Michigan currently only a game back of a bye. They own tiebreaker of Bowling Green (so are currently 5th) and Ohio (are 2 games back, but OU still has some tough games- Akron today and @ Kent- who hasn't played well lately, but is unbeaten in conference at home).

Last edited:
The Bobcats just put on a clinic.

Ohio ends the season undefeated in the MAC at home, and only had 1 loss OOC in the Convo to Robert Morris when we shot something like 5% from the field.

Hopefully Ohio can play in the Q like we have at home...

Kudos to Ohio. The Zips must regroup and defeat the Bulls at home Wednesday to win the regular season title outright and secure the #1 seed for The Q.

If Ohio and Akron meet again in Cleveland it will be very exciting.

Last edited:
The travel for these teams is unbelivable, throw in a bracket buster game there all over the country. No wonder why anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

The travel for these teams is unbelivable, throw in a bracket buster game there all over the country. No wonder why anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

Agree. Especially Buffalo, who had to go all the way to South Dakota State for their game. Bracketbusters is a nice event, but it'd be nice if some of the travel could be more localized, but in some cases, not really possible.

If you are selected for a bracketbuster TV game, geography is thrown out the window. I guess they figure the good teams should be able to handle the long travel. If a team is not selected for a TV game, the matchup is more local. I can remember in past years when Ohio was not selected for a TV game, they played games against Butler, Detroit, EKU, and Wright St.

tuslawstud14,

You are not kidding there. But they took it out on a less athletic Ohio University team last night. Could that be the MAC final next Saturday????

Not sure how I feel about Ohio heading into the tourney... We've got the best defense in the MAC, but we've got no consistency scoring.

Home court advantage has been huge all year so it will be interesting who plays the best on the neutral site in the tournament. I mean Kent hasn't lost a Mac home game all year but they lost to every single Mac East team on the road haha.

Home court advantage has been huge all year so it will be interesting who plays the best on the neutral site in the tournament. I mean Kent hasn't lost a Mac home game all year but they lost to every single Mac East team on the road haha.

Ohio also was undefeated against the MAC at home. Beat some East teams on the road..... BUT lost to some West teams. :Ohno:

Somebody did a statistical analysis of homecourt advantage the last decade and Ohio was top 10. Will see if I can find it, thinking it was Pomeroy or Sargain...

Tournaments matchups finalized.
Top half of bracket on Monday has:
12 Northern Illinois @ 5 Eastern Michigan
9 Ball State @ 8 Western Michigan
Winners meet Wednesday in Cleveland. Winner of that game faces 4 Kent Thursday. Winner of the Kent game faces 1 Akron Friday. Akron game winner to final.

Bottom half of the bracket on Monday has:
11 Central Michigan @ 6 Bowling Green
10 Miami @ 7 Toledo
Winners meet Wednesday in Cleveland. Winner of that game faces 3 OU on Thursday. Winner of OU game faces 2 Buffalo Friday. Winner of Buffalo game to finals.

http://www.mac-sports.com/News/tabi...n-Complete-Tournament-Pairings-Announced.aspx