Texas Stadiums

I would much rather watch my team in at Mesquite Memorial or Rose in Tyler than fight the changing of the guards between games between game at Texas Stadium.

I went to a tripleheader in the Astrodome in 1990 -- Aldine (USA Today #2) vs. Booker T. Washington, A&M Consolidated vs. somebody, and I can't remember the other game.

The changing of the guard was awesome.

Banners come down, fans in blue (for example) and cheerleaders and band and drill team leave, banners go up, fans in red (for example) and cheerleaders and band and drill team come in. And then you get another football game.

The bad part was that they didn't allow food to be brought in (standard, I know), and winning the lottery would just have gotten us up to broke. That was a long, long time to ration a little bit of stadium food.

I went to a tripleheader in the Astrodome in 1990 -- Aldine (USA Today #2) vs. Booker T. Washington, A&M Consolidated vs. somebody, and I can't remember the other game.

The changing of the guard was awesome.

Banners come down, fans in blue (for example) and cheerleaders and band and drill team leave, banners go up, fans in red (for example) and cheerleaders and band and drill team come in. And then you get another football game.

The bad part was that they didn't allow food to be brought in (standard, I know), and winning the lottery would just have gotten us up to broke. That was a long, long time to ration a little bit of stadium food.

Were you able to watch all the games for the same price? For the Herbie they have sessions. You can watch certain games and then they make you pay again to reneter and watch the rest of the games. It sux!

One shot.

It was like being on the space station. You better not forget anything on the way in.

I once went to a Philadelphia Catholic League quadrupleheader (league quarterfinals) at Veterans Stadium. Wow, was it cold. I made it through the whole thing, though. It was one of those deals where the game could be tied with six minutes left and all you're rooting for is for the clock to keep running.

I went to lunch between sessions at the Herbie, and ended up missing half of the Don Bosco/Centerville game.

The California state championships this past year was a tripleheader, with long breaks. And rain. That was rough.

I may be going on too many high school football trips, now that I think about it.

Anyone here, especially the Texas guys, know of a good stadium to watch a game in the Austin area? Been to Austin Westlake and that was pretty cool...but thats honestly the only one I know of (brothers have friends there). Any ideas?
I've only been to the new stadium in Round Rock (north of Austin). It's a very nice facility.

As a side note, Riley Dodge's grandfather was the Head Coach and AD at Austin Westlake for over 30 years. They even named their field after him. (Riley Dodge was SLC's Jr. QB who helped SLC beat Austin Westlake in the Texas finals last year.)

This is what lakeland plays in. Talk about time for an up grade. I think 6 state titles. and two national titles would garner you a stadium better then this. But even with out the fancy hi-tech stadium. Its is still the best place in florida to watch a high school football game.

http://www.lakelandfootball.com/bryantstadium.html

The best place in Florida? Really?

Perhaps if Lakeland was more "honest" about their claims of national titles they'd deserve a new place. :D :D

The best place in Florida? Really?

Perhaps if Lakeland was more "honest" about their claims of national titles they'd deserve a new place. :D :D

:party: :party: :party: :party: . the hardware in the office does not shout fake claims to me. ooooooooo yea. Come on down to lakeland and play a game. OH wait i forgot real champs dont travel because they are scared thy might get beat. Ooooooooooooooooooooooo yea. GO SLC. :thumb:

And again we dont need no fancy new stadium to win ball games in. And agian i say Bryant Stadium is the toughest place in state to play a football game. We dont have near the money you guys do. And still get the job down. So if you ask me i think we are fine. Plus the city is building a new stadium which will hold 20,000 so we are good. Which will hold the state football finals. Ooooooooooooooooo yea. Another thing good about lakeland.

The Berry Center
stadiumpics.jpg

stadiumpics2.jpg

confencepics.jpg

theaterwide.jpg

Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District (8 High Schools, just outside of Houston.)

the hardware in the office does not shout fake claims to me. ooooooooo yea. Come on down to lakeland and play a game. OH wait i forgot real champs dont travel because they are scared thy might get beat. Ooooooooooooooooooooooo yea. GO SLC. :thumb:

And again we dont need no fancy new stadium to win ball games in. And agian i say Bryant Stadium is the toughest place in state to play a football game. We dont have near the money you guys do. And still get the job down. So if you ask me i think we are fine. Plus the city is building a new stadium which will hold 20,000 so we are good. Which will hold the state football finals. Ooooooooooooooooo yea. Another thing good about lakeland.

You said it was the "best" place to watch. Now it's the "toughest" place to play. What is Lakeland's record at home over the last decade? Do they have the best home record in Florida?

I was half joking about Lakeland's title claims, but we all know that Lakeland's case for a national title in 2005 was very slim. We also know that in 2006 Lakeland really didn't have the kind of season that a national championship team should have. If the rankings were done fresh at the end of the season (with no regard for how teams started the season in the polls), nobody could make an honest case that Lakeland deserved #1 in 2006. Come on, be honest.

Last edited:
Ohio Stadiums

I went up and saw Massillons stadium this past Saturday. After watching games down in Texas I realized that the stadium was not that nice. I was asked if I had ever seen a nicer stadium and I politely said yes, about 20 firsthand. I am glad you started this thread. A guy had a laptop and 2 things happened, 1- people were amazed at our facilities, 2- more people got exposed to Yappi sports. I was watching a jv baseball game and could not believe how small the kids were. I thought they were 12 - 14 when I first walked up. I am going to Columbus today and plan on driving down to Cinci, to look at the pit firsthand and to look at X's facilities.

Are there any jails close by?

This is what lakeland plays in. Talk about time for an up grade. I think 6 state titles. and two national titles would garner you a stadium better then this. But even with out the fancy hi-tech stadium. Its is still the best place in florida to watch a high school football game.

http://www.lakelandfootball.com/bryantstadium.html
Just curious if there are any jails close by. If people acted up, they wouldnt have far to take them.

In all honesty many of the great Texas Stadiums you are seeing are due to growth in the urban areas. The School districts have simply outgrown their old stadiums and have to start over. Most of the stadiums are "new" by necessity. I think WoodyHayes would agree, there are some poor to average stadiums in Texas. Many of these old stadiums have "character" and "tradition".

When I saw the picture of "Elder's stadium" I had several toughts:
1) Unique - not many high school stadiums are built as a horseshoe. I like it.
2) Tradition - the stadium oozes of memories that grandfathers tell their grandsons about back in "the day".
3) Bad viewing - if the stadium holds 10,000 as represented there are probably a 1/3 in the end zone. Limited seating between the 30s.
4) Great atmosphere - I would want to watch a game in this stadium. It is not sterile.

Texas High plays in an 8,000 seat stadium built in 1954. It is located in a tough part of town and the district runs shuttle buses from the school parking lots due to limited parking. The 1st row is about 5 yards from the sidelines and 6 feet above the playing field. You can touch the players on the sidelines. The seating is 4,000 concrete seats on each side between the goal lines (40 rows +/-). The field house has no hot water or airconditioning (games in September and early October can be hot) and does not look like it has been renovated since 1954. The official name of the stadium is "Tiger Stadium at Grimm Park" or "Grimm Stadium". What an intimidating name for a stadium.

grim1.jpg

The positives is the stadium has one of the best grass fields in the state and holds many memories. When asked what the hardest hit he took in high school, Earl Campbell responded "the wall at Grimm Stadium".

In two weeks the taxpayers will vote to pump $4 mil to renovate the stadium, but in the end it will still be "Grimm Stadium".

Another classic stadium in East Texas is the "Tomato Bowl" in Jacksonville, Texas. http://www.tomatocapital.com/postcards/images/tomatobowl_lg.jpg

Just wanted folks to know how the other half lived.

Last edited:
Bordertown-I think you bring up some good points.

I would say that ost of the new stadiums are in suburban areas. I understand that someone form Texarkana would think sonewhere like Mansfield/Midland/Round Rock/Birdville/Southlake/etc. would be urban.

To me, many of the new stadiums look similar. There is not much to differentiate them.

Personally I do not like tracks. I like to be on top of the action. I like real grass. I have not seen a HS stadium where the jumbotron was real effective. The technology is betting better, but not in the ones I have seen. I like the old "bowl" type stadiums. The gopher bowl, to an extent Grapevine stadium.

In all honesty many of the great Texas Stadiums you are seeing are due to growth in the urban areas. The School districts have simply outgrown their old stadiums and have to start over. Most of the stadiums are "new" by necessity. I think WoodyHayes would agree, there are some poor to average stadiums in Texas. Many of these old stadiums have "character" and "tradition".

2) Tradition - the stadium oozes of memories that grandfathers tell their grandsons about back in "the day".
3) Bad viewing - if the stadium holds 10,000 as represented there are probably a 1/3 in the end zone. Limited seating between the 30s.
4) Great atmosphere - I would want to watch a game in this stadium. It is not sterile.

Texas High plays in an 8,000 seat stadium built in 1954. It is located in a tough part of town and the district runs shuttle buses from the school parking lots due to limited parking. The 1st row is about 5 yards from the sidelines and 6 feet above the playing field. You can touch the players on the sidelines. The seating is 4,000 concrete seats on each side between the goal lines (40 rows +/-). The field house has no hot water or airconditioning (games in September and early October can be hot) and does not look like it has been renovated since 1954. The official name of the stadium is "Tiger Stadium at Grimm Park" or "Grimm Stadium". What an intimidating name for a stadium.

grim1.jpg

The positives is the stadium has one of the best grass fields in the state and holds many memories. When asked what the hardest hit he took in high school, Earl Campbell responded "the wall at Grimm Stadium".

In two weeks the taxpayers will vote to pump $4 mil to renovate the stadium, but in the end it will still be "Grimm Stadium".

Another classic stadium in East Texas is the "Tomato Bowl" in Jacksonville, Texas. http://www.tomatocapital.com/postcards/images/tomatobowl_lg.jpg

Everything you said about The Pit is correct. It's almost impossible to see from the first few rows around the whole stadium, the people walking by and the sidelines hinder any views. Point is, get there early and you won't have any problems. If you are lucky enough to sit on the side in the upper rows it really doesn't get any better.

grim1.jpg

The great thing about the Pit is that the crowd is as close to being "in" the game as you will seen anywhere. In a sense, it is similar to Cameron at Duke for hoops. There is no track around the field, to the student sections are only a few short yards from the sidelines....

The great thing about the Pit is that the crowd is as close to being "in" the game as you will seen anywhere. In a sense, it is similar to Cameron at Duke for hoops. There is no track around the field, to the student sections are only a few short yards from the sidelines....

The pit seems like an awesome place to play. I bet most high school players would want to experience it. The heckling there must be insane.

That's great for the fans.

It reminds me of Collins stadium that was built a couple of years ago in Denton. It is really nice (video replay, 12,000 seats, no track, etc.). The problem is that they built the stands only a few feet from the actual sidelines. There is hardly any room for the teams. If you are on the front row, you can almost tap the players on the back as they come off the field. I like being close, but in this case it's to close.

That's great for the fans.

It reminds me of Collins stadium that was built a couple of years ago in Denton. It is really nice (video replay, 12,000 seats, no track, etc.). The problem is that they built the stands only a few feet from the actual sidelines. There is hardly any room for the teams. If you are on the front row, you can almost tap the players on the back as they come off the field. I like being close, but in this case it's to close.

I have been to Collins stadium several times. Although close, the seating is elevated from the coaches and players. The Pit desends straight to the sideline it appears.

Last edited:

That is how Grimm is constructed. The sideline is maybe 5 yards from the stands. but as you can see these the first row is just above the players head. I provides a great atmosphere. Stadium holds about 8,000.

Since that place was built for a major leaque soccer team, it has all the amenities of a major league baseball park. It's really, really nice.

It looked like Crew Stadium here in Ohio. I thought soccer was what it was built for. Either way, I just love horseshoe style stadiums!

It looked like Crew Stadium here in Ohio. I thought soccer was what it was built for. Either way, I just love horseshoe style stadiums!

I went to Crew Stadium for Colerain-REL. It was nice. PHP is one of the finest venues to see a sporting event. Great everything.

I went up and saw Massillons stadium this past Saturday. After watching games down in Texas I realized that the stadium was not that nice. I was asked if I had ever seen a nicer stadium and I politely said yes, about 20 firsthand. I am glad you started this thread. A guy had a laptop and 2 things happened, 1- people were amazed at our facilities, 2- more people got exposed to Yappi sports. I was watching a jv baseball game and could not believe how small the kids were. I thought they were 12 - 14 when I first walked up. I am going to Columbus today and plan on driving down to Cinci, to look at the pit firsthand and to look at X's facilities.

Woody,

How has the rest of your trip been? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on The Pit and St. X, I know you were talking about checking them out. If your looking for a baseball game to watch Elder plays Harrison today at 4:30 at Oak Hills which is only a few minutes from Elder. It's the 2nd round of the State Tourney and Elder will be throwing their Ace, who will be drafted after his senior year.

Anyway, let us know what you thought of the stadiums.