Tennessee High School Athletes allowed to sign NIL Deals

More than a few Ohio athletes would be still get paid for their name, image and likeness regardless of their status as an athlete. There’s a local high school athlete who makes Tik Toks with tens of thousands of followers. While a solid athlete, his large following has nothing to do with sports.
In many cases, appearance and personality are steering the NIL wagon more than athletic ability.

Last edited:
everybody loves capitalism until they see somebody they don't think should participate in it.
Very well said. This is the right thing to do. Just because an athlete is young does not mean they shouldn't have the right to profit off themselves. These kids are never going to become millionaires or make excessive money from their NIL- but if they have a large social media following and influence, they could make good money posting ads, endorsements, etc. God forbid our young Ohioans save money for college or buying a house one day. I hope Ohio will follow suit.

Last edited:
How long before HS AD's have to do what Gene Smith from OSU did yesterday. Tweet out that they are looking for fans to fund the NIL fund so they can keep up with the Texas A&M's of the world in paying the players to come to OSU.

I don't think many have a problem if a kid makes some money by doing a commercial telling people to go to the local Crab Shack after the game. The problem as we see in college that quickly can become a kid and 10 others gets thousands of dollars from the schools NIL fund to come play at a certain HS. Which is really just pay for play not NIL.

I think it’s only a matter of time until it hits Ohio. One lawsuit will be all it takes. I’ll set the over/under at 2.5 years. I’d say it’s a certainty within 5.
I just don't see how you can stop it. What right does the school have to restrict a student from selling their nil for any reason. They don't do it for the tuba player.

As long as the student respects the school's NIL and not include or reference it in their sponsorship and as long as the NIL deal doesn't stipulate what school or sport the student play for. Then have at it.

I just don't see how you can stop it. What right does the school have to restrict a student from selling their nil for any reason. They don't do it for the tuba player.

As long as the student respects the school's NIL and not include or reference it in their sponsorship and as long as the NIL deal doesn't stipulate what school or sport the student play for. Then have at it.
100% this. We get distracted by the fact these are athletes, but remember they are CHILDREN. If their parents give permission to take a LEGAL job, who is the OHSAA or anyone else to say it's not allowed?

100% this. We get distracted by the fact these are athletes, but remember they are CHILDREN. If their parents give permission to take a LEGAL job, who is the OHSAA or anyone else to say it's not allowed?
The OHSAA isn’t saying it’s not allowed, just that if they do it they are ineligible to play OHSAA-sanctioned sports. I’m not saying that is legally defensible, but it is an important distinction.

The OHSAA isn’t saying it’s not allowed, just that if they do it they are ineligible to play OHSAA-sanctioned sports. I’m not saying that is legally defensible, but it is an important distinction.
Good clarification. You are correct. I'm not an attorney, but I'd imagine there'd be a line or attorneys around the block asking to represent the first kid declared ineligible for getting paid to be on a billboard for the local sandwich shop.

Obviously there would be "stuff" that would happen. The difference is that right now that stuff is already happening and anyone that thinks an OHSAA rule is preventing it is a bit nearsighted.

I'd be amazed if a fight against it would be successful legally. IMO, it shouldn't be.
Which way do you mean? A fight FOR or AGAINST the NIL?

My opinion is I don't see how OHSAA could have the right to declare a kid ineligible for a legal job as long as they don't wear their school colors/uniform. A billboard that says "Bobby Jones loves Ike's Ice Cream" when Bobby is the starting QB isn't exactly a threat to democracy or anywhere close to the OHSAA's jurisdiction.

Which way do you mean? A fight FOR or AGAINST the NIL?

My opinion is I don't see how OHSAA could have the right to declare a kid ineligible for a legal job as long as they don't wear their school colors/uniform. A billboard that says "Bobby Jones loves Ike's Ice Cream" when Bobby is the starting QB isn't exactly a threat to democracy or anywhere close to the OHSAA's jurisdiction.
I meant the OHSAA fighting against the NIL.

The proposal that was voted on in May was a bad proposal. Too many questions that nobody could answer.

NIL is coming to Ohio. A ban against it will not stand up in court. The OHSAA knows this and is working on coming up with a better proposal.

The proposal that was voted on in May was a bad proposal. Too many questions that nobody could answer.

NIL is coming to Ohio. A ban against it will not stand up in court. The OHSAA knows this and is working on coming up with a better proposal.
And need to come up with some basic, understandable and reasonable rules, before a lawsuit comes and it becomes an outright freeforall with no rules.

And need to come up with some basic, understandable and reasonable rules, before a lawsuit comes and it becomes an outright freeforall with no rules.
I have a hunch that any rules would result in legal action, other than perhaps a rule prohibiting the wearing of school uniforms, etc.

I actually think the proposal in may was fine, ADs just didn’t want to be the ones responsible for handling it. It’ll take a few years to convince them that they’re going to have to be.

I have a hunch that any rules would result in legal action, other than perhaps a rule prohibiting the wearing of school uniforms, etc.
Absolutely. NIL in college is strange because it is new to us, but it is no different than someone being paid to speak at a commencement ceremony or a business meeting.

Aside from preventing the wear of uniforms, how could the OHSAA think it has any jurisdiction in the private lives of minors?
I actually think the proposal in may was fine, ADs just didn’t want to be the ones responsible for handling it. It’ll take a few years to convince them that they’re going to have to be.
Agree. OHSAA made ADs the fall guys in last proposal. The ADs felt the OHSAA requirements for monitoring would have been a burden so they voted it down.

I'm going to put this out there now....with how many of you are saying you support NIL deals and the kids should be allowed to do it. I don't want to hear about or read one thread on here about how certain schools are recruiting or have all the athletes. You said you support it so accept that the transfers are coming and you will have a handful of elite teams and then the rest of Ohio.