Teams In Jeopardy of Not Fielding Full Team in 2021

ReggieBar!

Which teams on the brink might not be able to pull it together this year?

In Cincinnati,
MVCA
Cincinnati Country Day
Finneytown

They seem to always be in question, but I've heard more concerns about Vanlue this year than ever. Cory-Rawson was in question too but now have changed conferences and hired a young, new coach who seems to have enough kids out to field a team

I would be shocked if Dayton Jefferson Township plays football this season. They never played due to covid last year.
They seem to always be in question, but I've heard more concerns about Vanlue this year than ever. Cory-Rawson was in question too but now have changed conferences and hired a young, new coach who seems to have enough kids out to field a team
Vanlue most likely is done. I'm just waiting on a news article that makes it official. I think they only returned maybe 8 kids total

I would be shocked if Dayton Jefferson Township plays football this season. They never played due to covid last year.

Vanlue most likely is done. I'm just waiting on a news article that makes it official. I think they only returned maybe 8 kids total
I mean, it’s June. They are scheduled to play a full conference schedule. They must think they have some sort of chance at this point, otherwise this kind of thing got Hardin-Northern the boot.

Still in the BVC for two more years

well, they share a field with a private catholic in the same neighborhood that can recruit as they please.
Yeah, but SB-EP football staring down the barrel has been in the cards for a while. Really small inner-ring “suburb” districts have faced uphill battles (see: Richmond Heights up in Cleveland area), and the resurgence of Bacon (plus the availability of other options + transience in population) doesn’t help matters.

Because I am a huge fan of this topic and it NEVER gets old, how many of these said schools field soccer teams?
Don't quote me here, but of the schools mentioned so far here's what I found from googling/their athletic websites --

These schools have soccer: Cincinnati Country Day, Finneytown (3-time state champ), Cory-Rawson, and Mathews (co-ed)
These schools don't: MVCA, Vanlue, Jefferson Township, Sebring, Federal Hocking

With St Bernard, MVCA and CCD struggling to field teams the bottom half of the MVC is going to feature some ironman games.

Don't quote me here, but of the schools mentioned so far here's what I found from googling/their athletic websites --

These schools have soccer: Cincinnati Country Day, Finneytown (3-time state champ), Cory-Rawson, and Mathews (co-ed)
These schools don't: MVCA, Vanlue, Jefferson Township, Sebring, Federal Hocking

Appreciate the legwork there research wise.

I know Finneytown had about 30 kids on the roster at the start of last season.

They (along with Deer Park) are both in dire need of a league change.

Finneytown hasn't won a CHL league game since 2014.

Wow. that's something. some of the catholic schools would fit real well but there's no chance the publics allow that. who would logically replace the two?both would fit well in the MVC.

Wow. that's something. some of the catholic schools would fit real well but there's no chance the publics allow that. who would logically replace the two?both would fit well in the MVC.

Very few legitimate replacement options.

I haven't heard their names come up yet but I think Northwest and Mt. Healthy would be two solid additions. They'd give the league a boost in football and basketball and there wouldn't be a net loss in any other sports.

Don't think that will ever happen at St Thomas. Too many Alumni backers. Don't worry they will get the players.
I would like to think so but this came from someone who is very, very close to the program. They still dont have a coach yet. It will be interesting whatvthe next few weeks brings.

Very few legitimate replacement options.

I haven't heard their names come up yet but I think Northwest and Mt. Healthy would be two solid additions. They'd give the league a boost in football and basketball and there wouldn't be a net loss in any other sports.
i would think Harrison and Norwood would be the best fits?

Last edited:
i would think Harrison and Norwood would be the best fits?

Norwood became a full-time member of the MVC not too long ago and I'd think they'd be content as a middle-of-the-pack school in that conference for the foreseeable future.

Harrison also doesn't have much reason to leave the SWOC unless the conference disbands.

Northwest and Mt Healthy are the SWOC equivalent to Finneytown and Deer Park in the CHL. They all are among the smaller schools in their league and finish last (and 2nd to last) in the all-sports trophy year after year. Each school would be on more level playing ground if they changed leagues.

Last edited:

Is the losing getting to the kids and fewer are coming out or are the numbers in the district going down? I graduated from Finneytown in 2005, but haven't lived in Cincinnati since so I'm not up on happenings in Finneytown besides the new schools coming.

Is the losing getting to the kids and fewer are coming out or are the numbers in the district going down? I graduated from Finneytown in 2005, but haven't lived in Cincinnati since so I'm not up on happenings in Finneytown besides the new schools coming.

Don't think it's anything new that hasn't already hampered the program for the past 2 decades. There have only been 3 winning seasons (2006, 2007, 2011) and 1 play-off appearance (2004) during that time.

The best middle schoolers get poached by the GCL or Winton Woods/Princeton, there is lots of coaching turnover year-after-year which effects culture, and the best athletes that are still in in the school likely play other sports.

The athletic department across all sports has really fallen off.

The boys soccer program, which was the crown jewel of the school for so long, hasn't finished in the top half of the CHL since 2011.

Boys basketball hasn't finished in the top half of the CHL since 2015.

The baseball team has lost 48 consecutive league games.

Time for a change.