Team Ohio Trials

GrizzlyDad

Any brackets or list of participants for team Ohio trials? My son was a part of theirs a few years back, great experience and it was great people to travel with. I’m always Interested to see who the upcoming names are in Ohio wrestling. Plus I think it’s great to see the sport grow with Ohio talent on the national dual stage.

Any brackets or list of participants for team Ohio trials? My son was a part of theirs a few years back, great experience and it was great people to travel with. I’m always Interested to see who the upcoming names are in Ohio wrestling. Plus I think it’s great to see the sport grow with Ohio talent on the national dual stage.
From what I know, they had a somewhat poor turnout, with most of the top kids in the state opting to not join the team. Last year, they had somewhat of a poor turnout as well, but managed to get most of the best lighter weight kids in the state on the team i.e. Wicker, Sharples, Bagdonas Twins, Moos, Reer, Hetzer...but the upper weights were a real struggle to get consistency out of from what I was told.

From what I know, they had a somewhat poor turnout, with most of the top kids in the state opting to not join the team. Last year, they had somewhat of a poor turnout as well, but managed to get most of the best lighter weight kids in the state on the team i.e. Wicker, Sharples, Bagdonas Twins, Moos, Reer, Hetzer...but the upper weights were a real struggle to get consistency out of from what I was told.
Wicker BTW
Sharples ?
Bagdonas BTW
Moos BTW
Reer BTW
Hetzer pursuit?

seems like clubs made pushes last year.

Wicker BTW
Sharples ?
Bagdonas BTW
Moos BTW
Reer BTW
Hetzer pursuit?

seems like clubs made pushes last year.
Sharples was BTW as well. But word on the street is the St Ed’s pipeline swooped him up, and he’s Westshore bound now. The rich get richer lol.

As for club pushes last year, I don’t think it was really the case, BTW just happened to have a bunch of the best kids in the state from their club. Sharples, Bagdonas twins and Reer are all multiple time National Champs, Wicker a state champ and high places at Tulsa. They just all happened to be from same club.

Sharples was BTW as well. But word on the street is the St Ed’s pipeline swooped him up, and he’s Westshore bound now. The rich get richer lol.

As for club pushes last year, I don’t think it was really the case, BTW just happened to have a bunch of the best kids in the state from their club. Sharples, Bagdonas twins and Reer are all multiple time National Champs, Wicker a state champ and high places at Tulsa. They just all happened to be from same club.
Oh I thought I heard Sharples was Columbus bound. Was with crazy goats all summer.

team ohio is great in theory, but just thinking this is not going to stick around as a thing
Team Pa has been putting multiple Grade school and Junior high teams together for years now. Why can’t Ohio figure it out. I thought Ohio had a process in place already with OAC returning placers, camps with wrestle offs before events.

Team Pa has been putting multiple Grade school and Junior high teams together for years now. Why can’t Ohio figure it out. I thought Ohio had a process in place already with OAC returning placers, camps with wrestle offs before events.

Need parent buy-in and the top club coaches to push it would be my assumption. Not sure they are really getting either, but I'm not in the know. I just know a couple families that have very good grade school wrestlers.

Pa has been way ahead of Ohio for many years on youth participation. They have had a state youth tournament decades before Ohio. On any weekend during wrestling season you can probably find a youth wrestling tournament every hour of driving distance. Evidently this transferred over to College success too :).

OYWA has been around since the early nineties is that the oldest, "organization" Ohio has? Not disputing you Old142. :cool:
I'm not certain if it's the "oldest". All I know we took many of the "youth" in the mid 80's to youth tournaments in PA, also a group of Longwood YMCA wrestlers and some North Akron YMCA were allowed to participate in the PA state Youth tournaments for several years. Additionally for every 2 to 3 youth tournaments in Ohio on some weekends , PA had a tournament jut about EVERY weekend at somewhere between 10 -15 areas within 2 hours of Pittsburgh. BIG tournaments with 2-3 X more participants than most Ohio tournaments. One of the biggest here was the annual West End ymca tournament run by Rich Hunter.......Padua had a decent youth tournament .....but nothing like some of the big ones in PA. PA also had Eastern nationals a qualifying tournament where MANY of the eventual top high schoolers in the country participated from PA, N.J. , Ohio. New York , W. Virginia etc. I could "name drop" but of course I'll be blasted ;) PA has been doing the youth organizations since the late 70's at least FAR more than Ohio . If you were beating the "best" in PA around at 11-12 years old , you were probably beating anyone in Ohio ;)

Understood. I was around in the mid eighties.
I was just curious about some of the oldest youth clubs in Ohio as I wasn't sure. But you named the only other that came to mind. (y)