Teacher faces termination after calling in sick for 2 days to attend a concert in Nashville, district says

There seem to be two types of people:
Those who use all their time and leave themselves vulnerable if something happens and if I had to make a guess, their bank accounts look similiar to their available leave/sick time!

and those who see a 'use for lose' balance for leave/vacation time each year.
Boy if this isn't the truth....I've often said people who whine about how much they make have a spending problem, not an earning problem. The ones that REALLY get me are the frivolous expenses that make no sense at all. Eating out for 80% of your meals, doing Doordash...really for fast food your doing door dash? One thing really simple, at restaurants, don't order any drinks that you pay for. Get water. It's one stinking meal. Buy your soas and other drinks at the store, where the markup is so much less. I don't drink alcohol, but I see some of people restaurant bills, it's just throwing money away.

Hence the saying 'This is why we cant have nice things"!

There is ALWAYS more to the story! Most times the headline and initial story is to get your article noticed!

I pretty much expected it to be the case that she routinely burned through her time.

There seem to be two types of people:
Those who use all their time and leave themselves vulnerable if something happens and if I had to make a guess, their bank accounts look similiar to their available leave/sick time!

and those who see a 'use for lose' balance for leave/vacation time each year.

I think I can rollover 120 hours of leave/year and typically have that each year as a must use.
You just explained the difference between Democrats and Republicans. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y) :cool:

You just explained the difference between Democrats and Republicans. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y) :cool:
Negative.
I am explaining Americans (and problably other country citizens as well).

The sooner people stop lumping Americans into groups such as Republicans, Democrats and believe members of said group all believe/do the same thing and that one is good, and other is evil, the better we all will be.

Unfortunately, most media fuels this fire and way too many Americans fall for this division for the sake of labels and ratings........

I wonder what the schools union rep is thinking. This is actually why unions are bad. It's protecting a bad apple who probably should had been gone anyway.
Probably shaking their head and thinking "why is there always that one person in the craft who puts me in this spot?" 😉

I wouldn't paint them with that broad a brush, at least at the local level. Union stewards are kinda like attorneys - they may know or suspect their client is guilty as sin. But if a union member in good standing is determined to go the distance, the steward has a mandate to plead their case and fight for the best possible outcome.

Probably shaking their head and thinking "why is there always that one person in the craft who puts me in this spot?" 😉

I wouldn't paint them with that broad a brush, at least at the local level. Union stewards are kinda like attorneys - they may know or suspect their client is guilty as sin. But if a union member in good standing is determined to go the distance, the steward has a mandate to plead their case and fight for the best possible outcome.
Understood, but sadly they end up fighting for the bad seeds.

Negative.
I am explaining Americans (and problably other country citizens as well).

The sooner people stop lumping Americans into groups such as Republicans, Democrats and believe members of said group all believe/do the same thing and that one is good, and other is evil, the better we all will be.

Unfortunately, most media fuels this fire and way too many Americans fall for this division for the sake of labels and ratings........
I guess you get offended easily. Lighten up Francis. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think I can rollover 120 hours of leave/year and typically have that each year as a must use.
Previously, I was allowed to rollover 80 hours. And I would roll it over every year as my emergency stash. Last year they made everything use or lose. So last year I had a lot of time off to burn but now this year I wish I still had it because I have something major coming up and would like to have the extra 80 hours.

Previously, I was allowed to rollover 80 hours. And I would roll it over every year as my emergency stash. Last year they made everything use or lose. So last year I had a lot of time off to burn but now this year I wish I still had it because I have something major coming up and would like to have the extra 80 hours.
I love the good ole use or lose hours and try to bank as many as possible yet still take enough time off! After the Rona year they allowed up to 240!

So let's drill down into these statements, as this is probably a blue print for common thought process.

Company offers sick time for employees to use because - people get sick. Sidebar - not everyone gets sick at the same rate or take time off for being sick. Fact.
You can't just have willy nilly sick time - it would be abused and hurt employee morale. So you set a number of days annually for sick time. Sidebar - you have a percentage of employees who just always seems to hit that number of sick days per year, meanwhile you have some who rarely use sick days. Employees know who does what.
So to try to be fair and compensate the good employees, you either carry over or set up a system where sick days are paid out at retirement or at least reward people for not frivolously using sick time. Sidebar - some employers try to get doctor's notes for absences - Bad idea, so you force your employees into a healthcare system that is already expensive and understaffed, even if they have bad cold or the common flu.

So a company may be struggling along to make a profit, pay employees, put money back into the business, etc. And you have employees now, who may have been there for 20-30 years who bank out hundreds of hours of sick time and there's this financial hit to the company when that retiree goes out the door. The company has to account for this in budgeting purposes because it's a potential expense.

These are just a few of the HR/ accounting nighmares that go into something as simple as people who just "take" sick days.
No need to drill down my friend.

I think you answered your own question. You give someone a year's salary walking out the door and that's an incredible burden on the school district to absorb. Fair is fair and God bless your Dad for not using much sick time, but it's hard to believe whoever set this up originally had any foresight into the potential cost to the district. Not a fan of the use it or lose it philosophy, so I feel a reasonable cap on the total is the best way to go.
Didn't know I asked a question. If anything I wasn't sure when the retirement situation in Ohio may have changed.

Nice try friend.

It was shortly after that time that things changed. I worked with a guy that got around 60K. His name was Jim. We call it the Jim rule.
I think you answered your own question. You give someone a year's salary walking out the door and that's an incredible burden on the school district to absorb. Fair is fair and God bless your Dad for not using much sick time, but it's hard to believe whoever set this up originally had any foresight into the potential cost to the district. Not a fan of the use it or lose it philosophy, so I feel a reasonable cap on the total is the best way to go.
See 14red. Salad76 replied to my "question" or better yet confusion with a solid answer. Not hard.

Where my mother taught a teacher was told that she would only be paid for a fraction of her sick days upon retirement. She decided to wait a year longer. Because the district had a policy that you had to to have a doctor's excuse for three consecutive sick days, she would call in sick for two days straight and showed up every third day for the whole school year. I would not have wanted to be a student in one of her classes.

Where my mother taught a teacher was told that she would only be paid for a fraction of her sick days upon retirement. She decided to wait a year longer. Because the district had a policy that you had to to have a doctor's excuse for three consecutive sick days, she would call in sick for two days straight and showed up every third day for the whole school year. I would not have wanted to be a student in one of her classes.
Amazing what people will do to circumvent the system.

Reactions: SLS