Sycamore Hockey

whatnow

Sycamore Hockey is 8-0. What does that mean for the SWOSHL, and the rest of Southwest Ohio Hockey in general? They have a brand new coach, players who have recently moved up from JV to Varsity (their JV is not quite as fortunate as their Varsity- while Varsity is undefeated, JV is defeated), new players to the team, and experienced players who played AAA last year. Add everything that's new to the veteran experience already prevalent on the team (almost every prolific Varsity member has returned, except the goalie), and it's unlikely that they'll be defeated much at all this season. The only weakness I can forsee becoming a problem is a very inexperienced goalie. Dan Rubin, last year's goalie, was a senior and now attends Cornell University (he was better with his glove than almost anyone), so the team brought up James Graves, a sophomore of much lower skill, though that could possibly change as he grows older. But Graves almost never takes any shots on goal. Sycamore's offense dominates the game and keeps possession of the puck for most of the game, giving Graves long opportunities to compose himself.

So again, what does this mean for powerhouses like Moeller and Talawanda? Could Sycamore conceivably win a state title?

I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on the matter. If you're of the type that would simply laugh this off like it's no big deal, perhaps you should go and watch a game.

i looked on sycamores ice hockey website and it wasnt up to date. it seemed like it didnt include their scrimmage scores (which you probably included in saying that sycamore has an 8-0 record, and last time i checked teams usually dont count their scrimmage scores towards their record during the season). anyways i saw teams like elder and dublin scioto on their schedule (and louiville trinity which i know nothing about). those were the only games prior to this swoshl round robin weekend. so before i DO go and "laugh off at this", would you mind sharing some of the other teams that sycamore beat to acheive their 8-0 record? because if you think sycamore can sweep through swoshl and "conceiveably win a state title" just after acheiving an 8-0 record by playing teams like elder and dublin scioto, you need to wake up.

I was at the Sycamore vs. Trinity game; I left after the 2nd period when it was I think 9-0. But while there I found out that Sycamore has one maybe two good offensive players. Daniel Dukart scored I think 5 goals that game, and probably assisted the other goals. But don’t quote me on that. He is a strong skater, and has very good stick skills, but any good defense man can shut him down easily by playing the body. I know they have inexperienced goaltending, and Sycamores defense is horrible, they can barely get the puck out of the zone; they mostly rely on forwards to skate the puck coast to coast. There power play was decent, they play an overload and all they do is set the puck up behind the net and pass. Personally, I don’t think sycamore can win a state champion with the players they have. They do have decent players, but not great ones to win big games. This weekend will be a true test in the SWOHSHL tournament, when they play Moeller and St.Xavier, two strong teams this year. The fact that you guys are 8-0 won’t scare any of the teams you play this week. I predict your record after this weekend to be 8-2.

...just kidding i just saw your schedule and noticed you also play talawanda this week. So nevermind my new prediction for your record after this weekend is 8-3. good luck future state champs

Sycamore is much improved, but there is no state championship in the future. They have a coach who can teach the game, a couple of solid forwards, and some experience at D. While the goalie is inexperienced, he is improving........they'll be a middle of the road team in the league.....8-3 is likely after this weekend tho.

I don't think i'd tell too many people if you like to waking up with a pony in your bedroom either..... :)

hey hockey kid dont talk crap, you play for a joke of a hockey program and you got to moeller. thats just like st. x. except the moeller hockey teams better. why dont you come play are team and get smoked.

hey hockey kid dont talk crap, you play for a joke of a hockey program and you got to moeller. thats just like st. x. except the moeller hockey teams better. why dont you come play are team and get smoked.

If you are going to try and burn someone with a snippy reply, you should at least make sure you are spelling properly, using the correct words in the correct context, using proper capitalization and punctuation. Few people take seriously someone who cannot even write properly.

Perhaps you should consider paying less attention to hockey and more attention to your school lessons.

If you are going to try and burn someone with a snippy reply, you should at least make sure you are spelling properly, using the correct words in the correct context, using proper capitalization and punctuation. Few people take seriously someone who cannot even write properly.

Perhaps you should consider paying less attention to hockey and more attention to your school lessons.

WOW do you even play hockey? or are you just someone who talks crap on yappi. I dont need correct grammor capitalization spelling or puctuation. And sorry if my school dosnt teach me that so good. by the way i have a 3.9 and got a 32 on the ACT so u can stop trying to correct me.:banana:

WOW do you even play hockey? or are you just someone who talks crap on yappi. I dont need correct grammor capitalization spelling or puctuation. And sorry if my school dosnt teach me that so good. by the way i have a 3.9 and got a 32 on the ACT so u can stop trying to correct me.:banana:

i guess i can correct you because i have 4.0 and got a 33 on the ACT. but hey go talk crap about school AT school and not online when you are supposed to be talking about hockey

not i did but hey nice try they took it easy on you guys to think you had a chance and they own you guys period :)

My question about whodey21: does he have more than three brain cells?

Moeller scored with 1:47 left in the game, off of a wrap-around that was one of the luckiest goals I have ever seen. The puck went between the Sycamore goalie's leg and the post, which was very lucky/ unfortunate depending upoin your perspective. The Sycamore team had just finished killing a 5-on-3 when they were scored on, so the goal was even less impressive. Also, Sycamore had two shots that hit the post (that would have tied the game had they gone in) in the last minute. All in all, the game was very evenly matched, and could have gone either way.

Having said that, losing to Talawanda and tying Xavier may show that the Moeller game was just a fluke.

Whatever the case, I expect to see a lot more from this Sycamore team. The new coach seems to have started them on a decent path, because last year Sycamore got beaten in this same round robin tournament by a combined score of 25ish to 2ish. 11 to 8 is an obvious improvement. Also, this was only after a month of the new coaching regime. This team is not any more talented than last year; because although many new, talented players have come, the loss of goalie Dan Rubin was one of the biggest losses the team could have faced.

What really matters is how the teams do at the end of the season, not at the beginning. We'll see if I am right or wrong.

Having said that, losing to Talawanda and tying Xavier may show that the Moeller game was just a fluke.

But Moeller beat St. X 3-0 and beat Talawanda 5-3. Not likely a fluke. However, it does seem that Sycamore is on the right track and will likely have a successful season. As for winning State, that thinking may be a bit premature.

What I meant from my prior statement was that Sycamore might be a fluke. Moeller is a solid team, as has been established, but what about Sycamore? I believe that they will be a very strong team in the future, but how far into the future will we need to wait? This season, or maybe in two or three. They "showed up" against Moeller, but not against Xavier or Talawanda, so who knows? They have the potential, especially with this new coach, but will they deliver?

I have a feeling that it's now or never for Sycamore. Losing to Moeller 2-1 and keeping the game close, losing due to a late score, proves that at the very least, Sycamore can skate with the best of them (in the city). I don't think that many teams in the state have a possibility greater than chance of winning against Sycamore.

For anyone interested, Sycamore tied St. X on Sunday, 3-3. Their record now stands at 8-2-1.

I I don't think that many teams in the state have a possibility greater than chance of winning against Sycamore.QUOTE]

wow. if you are serious you are unbelieviably wrong. swo hs ice hockey compared to cleveland and toledo hs is like comparing honeybaked midget major aaa to cincinnai u18aaa. dont get me wrong though, the gap between northern teams and southern/columbus teams is slowly getting smaller each year. but by no means can you say sycamore can even skate with and beat most teams in the state. let sycamore play st. johns, padua, and other north teams, and see how they stack up. :shrug:

oh, and btw, sycamore may have a record of 8-2-1, but they are now 0-2-1 in the league. and nobody has posted any of the 8 teams that they beat other than elder and dublin scioto (whom i already mentioned) like i asked. so after this past weekends results, and despite sycamores initial 8-0 record, i am going to assume that along with elder and dublin scioto, sycamores other 6 wins came from weaker teams like those 2. so ill say it again. list the other 6 teams sycamore beat. because right now i dont think anyone is impressed. dont get me wrong, they are a good team and have alot of potential, and will make the league interesting this year. but so far, all anyone has talked about is how sycamore is conceivably going to win a state title. im sorry, but they need to beat swo teams before they can even start thinking about that.

I'm not saying that Sycamore is automatically in the running for a state title. I'm saying it's POSSIBLE. Sycamore has virtually the same chance as does Moeller or Talawanda. And they have virtually the same chances as pulling an upset over Padua or St. John's than do Moeller or Talawanda.

But for every Padua, there are 20 other schools with hockey programs that a lot of people have never heard of, even up north, and would play the easy victim against Sycamore, Talawanda, or Moeller. I'm not saying that Sycamore would shut out St. Ignatius at home; but that maybe, just maybe, it would be a good game to watch, whereas two or three years ago, nobody would even care to hear the results.

Well, regardless, I am very happy that the Sycamore program is attracting better skaters and becoming so competitive. The coaching change is for the better based on what some of the current parents in the program say.

I would love to see the Southwest Ohio high school hockey program really expand over the next few years and give the northern teams some good competition. CAHA did a great thing when they started the club programs at LaSalle, Elder, Lakota, etc.

I think if the high school hockey teams could start some feeder programs like Lacrosse and Wrestling have, there would be big benefits down the road.

Sycamore had a goal called off (high stick) in the third period that would have tied the game at Talawanda. With the exception of a four minute burst in the second period when Talawanda scored 3 goals, the game was evenly played. And after playing Moeller to a one goal game later in the weekend, I think its safe to say that Sycamore has raised their level of play. The team is well coached, they play a style of game that keeps shots off of their goalie, and they have the ability to score. I think they have the same chance of winning state as Moeller, (next to none).........but they will give some SWOSHL teams some good competition this year.