SWOH D1 Thread

We all know it is going to come down to Centerville vs Moeller. Kupp has been Moellers kryptonite as of late. Lets see if it continues
I think Moe best not be looking ahead to Centerville, if Elder is their opponent in the regional semifinal.
And of course, that’s assuming things play out in that way.

Then Lebanon will likely go zone as they did pretty much all night against Northmont. Northmont looked timid to shoot in the first half but they finally decided to fire away in the second half and that helped them get back into it.

Wayne is a very good 3 point shooting team. While I agree Lebanon will play zone they will need to stretch it out which will leave gaps for the guards to get to the basket. Someone mentioned that Lebanon lives and dies by the 3 ball. According to a pic posted in a previous post Wayne has made more three's than Lebanon over the last 10 games.

Lebanon is one of the best three point shooting teams in the area thats their game they live and die by the 3 you won't see many post ups for Anthony because thats not his game but if they get hot they are a tough team to beat because they all can shoot it at a good clip

Wayne also can shoot lights out from 3 and has actually made more threes than Lebanon over the last 10 games. If Lebanon does not get to the basket or try an inside game that will be a mistake. Wayne typically defends very well but are vulnerable inside. Lebanon is my dark horse team in this bracket and they are plenty capable of upsetting Wayne but at the same time Wayne can easily just run them out of the gym for an easy victory....

Wayne also can shoot lights out from 3 and has actually made more threes than Lebanon over the last 10 games. If Lebanon does not get to the basket or try an inside game that will be a mistake. Wayne typically defends very well but are vulnerable inside. Lebanon is my dark horse team in this bracket and they are plenty capable of upsetting Wayne but at the same time Wayne can easily just run them out of the gym for an easy victory....
Vamp, does Centerville carry the stream somewhere? It's not on NFHS Network.

Colerain with ease. This Colerain team, while not the first Colerain team to go 0-16 in the GMC (it's happened 4 times total and 3 times in the last 5 years), still goes down as the worst GMC team of all time as they were 0-16 with a record low point differential of -33.1 ppg in league play. And they are still a lot better than than Talawanda and Xenia. Walnut Hills actually was an ok team, but I get that you said Walnut Hills minus their current 2-3 best players. Colerain actually beat Mt. Healthy by 14 and Northwest by 16, and Talawanda went 0-4 against those teams with an average margin of defeat of 15 points. Xenia actually did win some games against their league opponents this year, but the MVL this season had to be the worst predominately D1 league in southwest Ohio history. And somehow, this Xenia team beat Greenville by 34 and 20. How bad is Greenville? I would bet that Princeton could grab 5 guys from their hallways not involved in the basketball program and go win that league.
Colerain did a heck of a job this year in male sports? They use to be a football powerhouse I saw they went 0-10 and basketball said , hold my beer. Did them and Northwest ever combine?

Colerain did a heck of a job this year in male sports? They use to be a football powerhouse I saw they went 0-10 and basketball said , hold my beer. Did them and Northwest ever combine?
Their school Board actually just approved Colerain and Northwest combining pending passing a levy to build a new high school……and the levy has exactly zero chance of passing.

Monday live scoreboard

Springboro 86, Springfield 75 - final

SPB 22 12 32 20 86
SPF 15 12 20 28 75

Wayne 73, Lebanon 70 - final (OT)

WYN 18 14 07 17 17 73
LEBA 18 07 16 15 14 70

Last edited:
Oh wow!!! Wayne completely left a Lebanon player open underneath the basket on the side out. They threw it to him, he then proceeded to dribble to the opposite corner from the action and nailed the 3. Wayne hall with 12 seconds left and tied.

The D1 SWOH Elite Eight

Sunday, March 10, 2024

1:00 PM - Moeller vs. Springboro
3:00 PM - Elder vs. Wayne
5:00 PM - Centerville vs. Middletown
7:00 PM - Sycamore vs. Hamilton

Middletown looked like a much more mature team from earlier in the season.

Stat of the night: McKinley all 7 of WW 1st quarter pts.........2pts the rest of the game.
Story of the night as I’ve said all season the down fall for the team would be coaching. You have a 4 star and you have a kid that can shoot the ball really well you can’t just put 3 other guys out there and just hope they out perform the other teams best 5 without competent coaching.

After looking at the district schedule for next Sunday, I kept searching for Winton Woods. In the wake of Winton Woods and Tyler McKinley being trashed on this thread after being eliminated by Middletown I had to go on a fishing expedition and found what I was looking for on the Transfers and player movement" thread, starting on Post #305 and going for a few dozen posts after that. It pertained to McKinley leaving Link Academy and coming back to Cincinnati. Possible stopping points mentioned were Indian Hill and Purcell-Marian (those would have provided stiff competition), as well as Winton Woods. One poster even mentioned he was bringing three or four kids with him to Winton Woods. My initial thought was why even play the season? Just hand Winton Woods the state championship trophy and move on with life. But, as usually happens, things like other teams got in the way. Just speculating, and he would have had to move into the district, but I wonder what would have happened had he gone to Sycamore (and the coaching that goes with it). Would a tandem of Raleigh Burgess and McKinley have just gotten into each other's way or would two Division I Power 5 bigs have made Sycamore more of a force to be reckoned with?

Way too many fouls called in the Wayne/Lebanon game on both sides. I did not think Wayne had a chance once Cranford fouled out in the 4th qtr. He was in foul trouble the whole game with 2 quick fouls called on him in the first qtr. Wayne found themselves down by 6 late in the game but Perkins hit a huge three and Wayne was able to get to the basket and tie the game. Lebanon missed a golden opportunity to win it on a last second shot but failed. It was Wayne's turn to grab a big lead in OT but Lebanon would start hitting threes to get back into it with the last one tieing the game with 14 seconds left. Wayne would miss on the other end but Morrison would grab the loose ball and heave up a three at the buzzer and drill it. Exciting game...... that kid for Lebanon is going to be tough.... no wonder why the Moe scouts were there for the game...... (I know they were there for the Springboro game but they stuck around for the 2nd game)

The Wayne kids didn't waver... They definitely could have folded when their leader (Cranford) fouled out. BIG shots by Perkins down the stretch. Biggest shot by Morrison. Wayne gets the rematch with Elder on Sunday. Should be a great day of basketball!!!

2023-2024 OPSWA All-Southwest Ohio Basketball teams

All-Southwest Ohio Basketball teams as selected by members of the Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association.

Boys Division I

First Team

Raleigh Burgess, Cin. Sycamore, 6’11” sr., 14.9 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.3 bpg; Juan Cranford Jr., Huber Heights Wayne, 6’0” jr., 17 ppg, 5.9 rpg; Andrew Hoerner, Miamisburg, 6’8” jr., 20.8 ppg, 9.4 rpg; Alex Kazanecki, Cin. Moeller, 6’5” jr., 12.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg; Tyler McKinley, Cin. Winton Woods, 6’9” sr., 19.4 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.6 apg; Trey Perry, Liberty Twp. Lakota East, 6’1”, jr., G, 23 ppg; Jonathan Powell, Centerville, 6’6” sr., 20.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg; Cam Williams, Cin. Elder, 6’4” jr., 13.2 ppg, 2.7 apg, 1.8 spg; Isaiah-Michael Williams, Beavercreek, 6’3” jr., 19.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg; Will Yates, Springboro, 6’1” sr., 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 4.9 apg.

Player of the Year: Tyler McKinley, Cin. Winton Woods
Coach of the Year: Brian Bales, Springboro

Second Team
Jaiden Arnold, Cin. Aiken, 6’0” jr., 17.0 ppg, 5.8 apg; Tommy Clark, Kings Mills Kings, 6’3” jr., 17.5 ppg; Baboucarr Njie, Centerville, 6’7” sr., 14.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.0 apg; Tyler Johnson, Cin. Elder, 6’7” sr., 12.0 ppg, 6.8 rpg; A’Zon Steele, Sidney, 5’10” jr., 17.1 ppg; Caden Zeinner, Goshen, 6’0” sr., 23.8 ppg, 3.6 apg.

Third Team
Evan Gentile, Kettering Fairmont, 6’2” jr., 16 ppg, 3 apg, 2 spg; Liam Gluck, Beavercreek, 6’4”, sr., 15 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.5 spg; Andrea Holden, Hamilton, 6’6” sr., 11.4 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.6 bpg; Eric Mahaffey, Cin. Moeller, 6’3” sr., 8.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.8 apg; Kameron Sanders, Fairfield, 6-3” jr., 14.7 ppg; Anthony Thompson, Lebanon, 6’7” so., 15.1 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.7 bpg;

Honorable Mention
James Burnett, Cin. Aiken; Caden Piening, Cin. Anderson; Kaden Ellerbe, Beavercreek; Denzell Ogle, Da’Marion Calahan, Judah Baldwin, Dayton Belmont; Eli Greenberg, Centerville; Jaylen Barry, Connor Ballantyne, Trenton Edgewood; Drew Murphy, Cin. Elder; Taiyou Williams, Fairborn; Brock Baker, Kettering Fairmont; Luke Rogers, Harrison; Talan Noyes, Kings Mills Kings; Isaiah Meade-Moss, West Chester Lakota West; Drae Arnold, Brady O’Connor, Cin. LaSalle; Spence Davidson, Trey Hicks, Lebanon; Elisha Jones, Morrow Little Miami; Jack Sauer, Loveland; Ben Mekner, Matt DeBrosse, Mason; Jeremiah Landers, Middletown; Gavin Dalen, Matt O’Donnell, Sloan Gormley, Milford; Brandon Hatcher, Da’lin Wilkins, Clayton Northmont; Dasai Bronson, Cin. Northwest; Henry Maginn, Nate Riep, Cin. Oak Hills; Tate Kuhlman, Piqua; Rognny Santiago-Lugo, Cin. Princeton; Isaac Nunn, Will Schaefer, Peyton Hendricks, Hamilton Ross; Jacob Wassler, Cin. St. Xavier; Julius Spradling, Jayce Daniel, Sidney; Maxim Butler, Springboro; Bryson Bishop, Riverside Stebbins; Chase Stafford, New Carlisle Tecumseh; Kellen Miller, Troy; Shea O’Toole, Cin. Turpin; CJ Claxton, Cin. Walnut Hills; Myles Perkins, Huber Heights Wayne; Chylan Ingram, West Carrollton; RayShawn Hubbard, Union Twp. West Clermont; Abe Crall, Jet Jamison, Mount Orab Western Brown; Bassirou Kante, Omarion Beckley, Cin. Western Hills; Sean Harmon, Cin. Winton Woods; Michael Johnson, Alijah Withers, Xenia.

Southwest Ohio breakdown by teams remaining:

Moeller: (1) 1st team, (1) 3rd team
Springboro: (1) 1st team, (1) HM, (1) COY

Elder: (1) 1st team, (1) 2nd team, (1) HM
Wayne: (1) 1st team, (1) HM

Centerville: (1) 1st team, (1) 2nd team, (1) HM
Middletown: (1) HM

Sycamore: (1) 1st team
Hamilton: (1) 3rd team