SWOH D1 Thread

Sold out arena at Princeton HS
Looks just about sold out at Lakota West too. Little Miami brought a massive crowd. They are competing, but still down 43-29 late 3rd. Princeton probably holds 2,500+ with that upper section, so that's a huge crowd too. With the doubleheader though, makes sense.

I'm gonna give the Middletown coaching staff credit. They are throwing all different kinds of looks at WW on defense. I think I've seen 4 or 5 different defenses in the first half. Between the different looks and the very aggressive pressure WW is struggling to figure things out offensively. If Middletown could just be consistent finishing at the basket and make free throws this is a 15pt lead at half.

Horrendous overturned call in the Elder-Lakota West game. About as blatant a goaltending as you can get with Curry swatting the ball after it had already banked off the glass, was called goaltending, then a ref completely out-of-position came in to conference with the ref that called it and they overturned the goaltending. So so bad.
Thankfully it did not impact the outcome as Elder pulled away.

That was one of the Panthers’ better performances on the year. Played well all the way around.

Last edited:
Middletown wins 46-39. They play the winner of Centerville-Fairmont at districts.
Middletown looked like a much more mature team from earlier in the season.

Stat of the night: McKinley all 7 of WW 1st quarter pts.........2pts the rest of the game.

Middletown wins 46-39. They play the winner of Centerville-Fairmont at districts.
I'm gonna give the Middletown coaching staff credit. They are throwing all different kinds of looks at WW on defense. I think I've seen 4 or 5 different defenses in the first half. Between the different looks and the very aggressive pressure WW is struggling to figure things out offensively. If Middletown could just be consistent finishing at the basket and make free throws this is a 15pt lead at half.
Story of the night as I’ve said all season the down fall for the team would be coaching. You have a 4 star and you have a kid that can shoot the ball really well you can’t just put 3 other guys out there and just hope they out perform the other teams best 5 without competent coaching.

Horrendous overturned call in the Elder-Lakota West game. About as blatant a goaltending as you can get with Curry swatting the ball after it had already banked off the glass, was called goaltending, then a ref completely out-of-position came in to conference with the ref that called it and they overturned the goaltending. So so bad.
High school it can hit the glass and not be goal tending if the ball isn’t above the rim or in the cylinder. It’s a really bad rule that needs to be changed.

High school it can hit the glass and not be goal tending if the ball isn’t above the rim or in the cylinder. It’s a really bad rule that needs to be changed.
That must be the exact reason why they overturned it. Agree that it’s a bad rule.

That must be the exact reason why they overturned it. Agree that it’s a bad rule.
You bash officials a lot on different areas of Yappi. You are also wrong a lot of the time. I respect your opinions on basketball teams and players but you should familiarize yourself with rules. That crew tonight is working the D1 state final 4 this year. T was also warranted in that game as Elder fans even realized that.

Story of the night as I’ve said all season the down fall for the team would be coaching. You have a 4 star and you have a kid that can shoot the ball really well you can’t just put 3 other guys out there and just hope they out perform the other teams best 5 without competent coaching.
A couple of my takes from the game…for what they are worth:

1. Credit Middletown and coaching staff for executing a game plan and limiting #0. He ended with 10 points. He changed the game at the defensive rim and changed a lot of shots. Someone said way earlier in this thread that Middletown was going to have hard time with the best player in the state. I will say this is the only time I have seen #0 play, but I would take #2 from Middletown (Landers) over him based on what I saw tonight. Again, small sample size of seeing both players. #0 touches in the second half has to less than 12 (completely a guess on number but he was not a factor)

2. Parking and exiting at Princeton is awful. Love the venue but geesh.

3. One of the best parts of the night was the cheerleading tumbling competition between WW and Middletown! It was awesome! Tip my hat to Middletown’s cheerleaders who tumbled a lot more, even the dude. WW cheerleader was great when she showed attitude at the end of her performance toward Middie cheerleaders. Comedy but some serious talent.

4. Middletown defense and schemes was the difference and they hit some big time shots.

No excuse for WW guards not getting him the ball
Middletown’s matchups caused their guards fits. Middletown’s guards are pesky and make it difficult to get into a regular set.

At one point in the 4th quarter, WW coach called a timeout and the play out of timeout, they got him the ball. It was the first time in about 3-4 minutes that he even touched the ball.

No excuse for WW guards not getting him the ball
Middletown kept throwing different defenses at them and WW struggled to change on the fly. I will say this, Middletown started the game in man, with their skinny 5'10 kid guarding McKinley. That ended with McKinley having all 7 of WWs 1st quarter points. Skinny 5'10 kid came out about halfway through the 1st and never saw the floor again lol. They also never went back to man, if I'm not mistaken. They kept flipping between 2-3, 3-2, and 1-3-1 the rest of the game.

Middletown’s matchups caused their guards fits. Middletown’s guards are pesky and make it difficult to get into a regular set.

At one point in the 4th quarter, WW coach called a timeout and the play out of timeout, they got him the ball. It was the first time in about 3-4 minutes that he even touched the ball.
There were a few flashes of good coaching from WW. Thinking back on it, I'm thinking each brief flash was out of a timeout.

Seriously, I've been saying this for years and everyone has told me how sensitive I am. This garbage goes on all season in the GCL.

When people say that the GCL schools play great defense, this is part of why. It's really hard to score when you let teams get away with this garbage.

It's not basketball, and it's yet another built in advantage the GCL schools get in most games.
Went to the LW- Elder game tonight as a casual fan. Lakota West for the most part would be considered a much more athletic team than Elder. They knew it and played much more in your jersey aggressive man defense. Very handsy on the ball defense. Elder also seemed to realize the athleticism difference and sagged considerably on defense. Went under on most ball screens preferring LW to shoot outside shots. It worked as they won pretty handily. Not sure but didnt seem like the garbage that goes on all season as you claim in the GCL when you are talking about your "fact filled" anti GCL rant but really looked like good game planning to me. Im assuming you werent talking about only GCL vs other GCL teams because then I would have to ask you why are you there. Just like people can gloss right over your posts if they dont like reading it. Not by any means knocking LW coaches or players but you do what you think is best for your team. They knock down some of their open shots its a much closer game but looked like a risk Elder was willing to take. Im pretty sure GCL coaches dont just put on the pads on their team every practice and knock the crap out of each other the whole time. You are going to do game to game what gives you the best shot to win in my opinion so credit to Elder to having a tool bag that included a more finesse style of play available to use when needed.

Biggest cry baby I've seen this year besides the Goshen coach.
Curious as to how many Goshen games youve seen this season or is this just your observation from what I have to assume was one of the most poorly officiated games in the Little Miami tournament game? A game where LM coach warned in first half by refs for complaining and Goshen coach T'd up with 3 seconds to go in a 3 point game at the time! The fact that both coaches werent tossed is a credit to them. The officials were ridiculously bad for both teams! Trust me when you 20-3 as Goshen did not much crying is needed!!

Went to the LW- Elder game tonight as a casual fan. Lakota West for the most part would be considered a much more athletic team than Elder. They knew it and played much more in your jersey aggressive man defense. Very handsy on the ball defense. Elder also seemed to realize the athleticism difference and sagged considerably on defense. Went under on most ball screens preferring LW to shoot outside shots. It worked as they won pretty handily. Not sure but didnt seem like the garbage that goes on all season as you claim in the GCL when you are talking about your "fact filled" anti GCL rant but really looked like good game planning to me. Im assuming you werent talking about only GCL vs other GCL teams because then I would have to ask you why are you there. Just like people can gloss right over your posts if they dont like reading it. Not by any means knocking LW coaches or players but you do what you think is best for your team. They knock down some of their open shots its a much closer game but looked like a risk Elder was willing to take. Im pretty sure GCL coaches dont just put on the pads on their team every practice and knock the crap out of each other the whole time. You are going to do game to game what gives you the best shot to win in my opinion so credit to Elder to having a tool bag that included a more finesse style of play available to use when needed.
DoubleHelix does have a point about the physicality/defense/fouling in GCL games though. Pull up the game videos on any of the schools’ athletic website, and you’ll see that it’s pretty bad. Elder did get two easy tournament games to adjust back to moving their feet, and they did that well tonight. Besides that, the game plan against Lakota West was pretty obvious and Schoenfeld is an excellent coach. They get to the rim a lot, especially in transition, and only have one consistent outside shooter. Elder sagged a little bit and went under on screens to make sure their length could bother the driving lanes, and it worked. Elder is also a much more athletic team than anyone gives them credit for, so it’s not like it’s a surprise that their senior-laden team can guard a team who’s two best players are freshmen.

Yep, just making up GCL stuff again :rolleyes:

Just a bunch of lies.

DoubleHelix does have a point about the physicality/defense/fouling in GCL games though. Pull up the game videos on any of the schools’ athletic website, and you’ll see that it’s pretty bad. Elder did get two easy tournament games to adjust back to moving their feet, and they did that well tonight. Besides that, the game plan against Lakota West was pretty obvious and Schoenfeld is an excellent coach. They get to the rim a lot, especially in transition, and only have one consistent outside shooter. Elder sagged a little bit and went under on screens to make sure their length could bother the driving lanes, and it worked. Elder is also a much more athletic team than anyone gives them credit for, so it’s not like it’s a surprise that their senior-laden team can guard a team who’s two best players are freshmen.
The only shot LW really had was getting hot, and it didn't happen.

I was shocked LW didn't full court press to try to speed the game up.

When you play Elder, if you don't have an ultra disciplined defense, you'll likely lose. They lull you to sleep on offense. They will run their stuff until they get the look they want, which is usually a motion based layup, or a wide open 3.

At the end of the day, Elder just had the better team.