SWOH D1 Thread

unless something has changed with that....teams being able to pass when it is their turn to pick a spot has been a choice as long as ive been paying attention
Until last year, any team could pass. Starting last season, only the number of teams that reach the District Semi-Finals are allowed to pass. So for D1 in Cincy, the top 10 teams can pass, but no one after that.

My Power Rankings compared to OHSAA RPI
SeedOHSAA SeedTeamWinsLossesPwr Rank
11Moeller14175.47
22Sycamore13175.42
33Elder13270.92
44Winton Woods11167.69
56St. Xavier11366.78
65Western Hills14262.37
79Middletown11562.32
811Lakota West10561.95
910Hamilton10661.02
1012Lakota East8859.75
1116Oak Hills8758.35
1217Princeton7958.27
138Aiken11456.79
1419Fairfield7956.20
1522Mason6954.43
167Goshen14253.16
1713Little Miami10652.37
1814Anderson9552.17
1915Loveland10750.26
2021Northwest9647.23
2124La Salle51046.75
2220Harrison9646.68
2323Milford7946.61
2418Kings7946.45
2525Turpin5845.49
2626Withrow4940.92
2731Colerain31240.15
2827Ross6937.23
2930West Clermont51236.90
3029Edgewood51035.06
3128Western Brown4835.06
3232Walnut Hills21232.73
3333Talawanda11518.36

Again with the scrambled ratings,Centerville loses to Northmont. Hard to see this Elk team as a final four team,just to inconsistent.

Crazy night with Winton Woods, West High, and Sycamore all going down. Terrible loss for the Aves. Austing needs to find some bench minutes or they might not make it out of District play. Elder with a huge win over X and Moe easily vs LaSalle.

At this stage I think it’s safe to say that Moe, Elder, and Sycamore have locked up the top 3 seeds unless the wheels fall off. Who knows what happens with the rest of the field…

Crazy night with Winton Woods, West High, and Sycamore all going down. Terrible loss for the Aves. Austing needs to find some bench minutes or they might not make it out of District play. Elder with a huge win over X and Moe easily vs LaSalle.

At this stage I think it’s safe to say that Moe, Elder, and Sycamore have locked up the top 3 seeds unless the wheels fall off. Who knows what happens with the rest of the field…
Burgess looked gassed tonight.

Shocking losses.

Way to much basketball to say anything is "locked up" at this point.

I'll give ya Moe, but Elder still has a challenging schedule remaining (at Fairmont, Moeller, Wyoming, at St X) and could easily slip up a few more times.

Unlike years past with seeds happening with games still left to be played, do all regular season games gets factored in before seeds are locked?

Shocking losses.

Way to much basketball to say anything is "locked up" at this point.

I'll give ya Moe, but Elder still has a challenging schedule remaining (at Fairmont, Moeller, Wyoming, at St X) and could easily slip up a few more times.

Unlike years past with seeds happening with games still left to be played, do all regular season games gets factored in before seeds are locked?
No. Only until Feb 9th games. Crazy to me that at this point with HUDL that the draw can’t just be the Sunday after the season is over to include all games. Coaches can literally have film sent to them minutes after the draw is over.

No. Only until Feb 9th games. Crazy to me that at this point with HUDL that the draw can’t just be the Sunday after the season is over to include all games. Coaches can literally have film sent to them minutes after the draw is over.
I agree. That is a flaw with the system and a slight advantage for Elder not having the game at StX (where the Bombers will be favored) factor into the seeds

I agree. That is a flaw with the system and a slight advantage for Elder not having the game at StX (where the Bombers will be favored) factor into the seeds
It's literally the same scenario for every team that plays after the seeding is done. There's no special scenario for Elder, even though you try your hardest to always make it out to be with your massive inferiority complex.

E v Moe next weekend - will the outside temperature, the ref crew, the decibel level of the music, the temperature of the hot dogs, and the zip code of the Moe players all be to your liking next week? Just want to get ahead of anything that might make you unhinged. Any special song requests? Taylor Swift? Metallica? Bon Jovi?

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater.

Goshen beats Western Hills in a game with massive implications on the Cincinnati seeding. St. X also lost to Beavercreek and Sycamore lost to Princeton. For now, Winton Woods is probably the #3 seed, Sycamore #4, St. X #5, and it will be pretty close between Goshen and Western Hills for #6 and #7.

Man, this has to be the least talented I've ever seen SWO basketball.
For sure.

The amount of mediocrity across the city is unprecedented. More and more teams are also trying to implement this coach controlled style because it seems no one feels like they have any talent. These kids are better than they've shown.

Goshen beats Western Hills in a game with massive implications on the Cincinnati seeding. St. X also lost to Beavercreek and Sycamore lost to Princeton. For now, Winton Woods is probably the #3 seed, Sycamore #4, St. X #5, and it will be pretty close between Goshen and Western Hills for #6 and #7.
Can Goshen get a smidge of respect now?

Man, this has to be the least talented I've ever seen SWO basketball.
For sure.

The amount of mediocrity across the city is unprecedented. More and more teams are also trying to implement this coach controlled style because it seems no one feels like they have any talent. These kids are better than they've shown.
I'd honestly maybe argue that it is not as bad as it seems I believe there are a lot of good teams from top to bottom and a lot of GOOD players with only a sprinkle of high level talent but there is no shortage of D1 guys just not as many P5. The games have been more and more competitive this year because you cannot just throw 1 top ranked guy out there and he just out talents a good team

After watching the Goshen - Western Hills game my question is how has West Hi won 15 games ? They are a complete mess on both ends of the court. On the offensive end anytime anyone wants to shoot a 25 ft 3 point shot or drive to the hoop out of control they apparently are allowed to. On the defensive end I gave up counting after 5 uncontested layups in half court defense. Goshen was basically running flex withe backdoor screens that everyone has seen since 7th grade and they could not figure it out. As for Goshen they play hard , they are small and young, but I will say the Ziener kid is a very good player. He can keep them in a game for a while against a middle of the road first round game. Or that could be more about what I saw from West Hi defense.

I'd honestly maybe argue that it is not as bad as it seems I believe there are a lot of good teams from top to bottom and a lot of GOOD players with only a sprinkle of high level talent but there is no shortage of D1 guys just not as many P5. The games have been more and more competitive this year because you cannot just throw 1 top ranked guy out there and he just out talents a good team
Competitive games between average teams, yes.

I'm not so sure there's much of a difference between teams 2-22 this year. On any given night, you have no idea who is beating who. Fairfield is at 21, Princeton at 17. Princeton just beat Sycamore (#3) by almost 30.

I'm not so sure there's much of a difference between teams 2-22 this year. On any given night, you have no idea who is beating who. Fairfield is at 21, Princeton at 17. Princeton just beat Sycamore (#3) by almost 30.
Matchups make games Princeton is a young team but their style of play pressuring guards is not a good matchup for Sycamore guards. Fairfield is a team loaded with young talent they are regrouping from having an experienced team and trying to find their identity

Matchups make games Princeton is a young team but their style of play pressuring guards is not a good matchup for Sycamore guards. Fairfield is a team loaded with young talent they are regrouping from having an experienced team and trying to find their identity
There is no consistency with alot of the teams 3-25. That points to them being not very good.

So it's basically been alot of teams with similar average talent beating up on one another, outside of Moeller and Elder, honestly. And I'm not even sure how good Elder is as their best win is St X, and that's about it.

I would second the argument that there are a lot of good teams this year, but certainly no great ones. There is no Centerville from the last couple of years or Moeller state championship-caliber teams in SWO this year. The lower half the GWOC and GMC still feature very solid teams in Fairfield, Lakota East, Oak Hills, Mason, Wayne, and Northmont. It is going to make for a GREAT tournament, with very likely upsets galore and a throw-it-at-the-dartboard for who makes the regional. How is this a bad thing?

A lot of people should really try to watch basketball in other parts of the state and in other states for comparison. Even without a great team, SWO is probably the 2nd best region behind NEO this year for D1, and that's only because NEO has Iggy and Garfield Heights. The #3 team (by RPI) in NEO, Brecksville Broadview Heights, got blown out by Lakota East, and that remains their only loss. NWO is very weak. Columbus has a couple of good teams at the top and then a big drop-off, but certainly not the depth of good teams that SWO has.

Compared to the rest of the Midwest, the quality of basketball in Ohio is about average. It's behind Indiana and Illinois and probably on par with Michigan and Wisconsin and maybe a little better than Kentucky, Minnesota, and Iowa. The basketball in the Midwest is A LOT better than anywhere in the South or out West. It's hard to compare it to the East coast since pretty much every good player on the East coat winds up at private schools, which, in turn, makes the public schools pretty weak, but those private schools are awesome.

Sycamore actually didn't turn the ball over much last night. They were just completely dysfunctional trying to run offense almost like they completely forgot how. They looked nothing like the team that pretty much had their way with Hamilton a week ago. I think it's just a huge mental block playing Princeton.