Summit County Football Chat- 2021

clarkgriswold

Well, the season is off and running.

Nice to see the Williams era at Buchtel start off on a high note. Mayfield is usually pretty solid so a win is a good sign. SVSM, Tallmadge, Barberton, Hudson and Green all had solid wins. Walsh and Copley both fell in OT.

Aurora comes to Green Street this week in what should tell us a lot about both squads. Buchtel hosts D3 power Chardon. Chardon beat Glenville in week 1.

Nice to see Kenmore/Garfield get a win and Firestone stayed competitive with Kent Roosevelt. Hoping the City Series can provide some decent teams this year besides just Buchtel and East. Copley had a gutsy comeback against Twinsburg after being down 20-7 before losing in OT. Seems like the humidity played a big part in week 1 with many players succumbing to leg cramps. Glad to see fans back in the seats! HS football is back!!

My Top Ten after Week One:

1. Hoban
2. Stow
3. Hudson
4. STVSTM
5. Buchtel
6. Barberton
7. Green
8. Walsh
9. East
10. Tallmadge

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Kenmore/Garfield get a win and Firestone stayed competitive with Kent Roosevelt. Hoping the City Series can provide some decent teams this year besides just Buchtel and East. Copley had a gutsy comeback against Twinsburg after being down 20-7 before losing in OT. Seems like the humidity played a big part in week 1 with many players succumbing to leg cramps. Glad to see fans back in the seats! HS football is back!!
Big props to Kenmore/Garfield on the win! Also a shoutout to Norton for beating Northwest

Coach Mike Bell is a solid coach at Twinsburg and keeping his athletes at home. Aurora QB is very impressive and if they can shut down the Irish running game then STVM is in trouble. Two rotating QB’s with a combined 7 pass attempts won’t beat the Greenmen. Hoban very impressive in week one and no one in Summit county will touch them. Walsh and Stow both very impressive but Buchtel triumph under first year coach Brian Williams was the juggernaut. Upcoming game of the week (2) could take place on Copley road as defending D3 state champion Chardon visiting the Griffs at 1040.

Walsh was down 13-0 early then scored 14 points to go up. It seemed like whenever they had a chance that Bennie would put blitz and shut them down. Walsh's line play was suspect, especially in pass protection. It's nice to see Walsh back in the mix.

Summit County hosts two huge Region 9 games this week with Buchtel/Chardon and SVSM/Aurora. Those two games could tell us a lot about the direction of Region 9 this year.

I am interested to see if Hoban can hang with Bergen Catholic this week. Bergen was number 11 in the MaxPreps pre-season rankings.

Barberton hosts Stow and St. V the next two weeks. The Magics can match both of them starter for starter but depth is a severe issue this year.

Hudson lost a ton of seniors from last year's team so it is good to see them reload with an impressive win over Solon in week 1. They might be Hoban's biggest test until the state title game. The Explorers battled the Knight's in last year's Region 5 final before Hoban pulled away in the 2nd half. Hoban is still a heavy, heavy favorite. It is hard to imagine a scenario where they aren't playing for a state title.

I think the jury is out a little on Hoban as they graduated a lot of studs, including a 4 year starter/3 state championship QB. I think they'll still be very good but may not be up to the level of some of their recent teams. Crable, 1 of their 2 QB's also got laid out Friday night so we'll have to see when he will be back.

How I see the Summit County teams after Week One

Tier One (State/ Regional title threats): Hoban, Stow, SVSM
Tier Two ( Very good playoff teams): Hudson, Buchtel, Walsh
Tier Three (Likely playoff teams): Barberton, Green, Tallmadge, Nordonia, Copley, Twinsburg, Woodridge, East
Tier Four (Very good small schools): Mogadore, CVCA
Tier Five (Average or below average): Revere, Norton, Coventry, Ellet, Kenmore-Garfield
Tier Six ( No explanation necessary): Firestone, Springfield, North

Barberton hosts Stow and St. V the next two weeks. The Magics can match both of them starter for starter but depth is a severe issue this year.
Time will tell. I'd love to see the Magics stick with Stow.

Your comment reminded me of one I heard from the color commentary during the University of Akron/Penn State a while back when the talking head told us that the only real difference between the Zips and the top teams like Penn State was depth. UA was down 49-0 at the time with the starters in for both teams. LOL.

It was weird, I went to look at Thomas Richardson for St V-M QB and when I click on his name from the St V roster, it says Richardson is on Bedford's roster as of yesterday??? Anyone know what that is about??

It was weird, I went to look at Thomas Richardson for St V-M QB and when I click on his name from the St V roster, it says Richardson is on Bedford's roster as of yesterday??? Anyone know what that is about??
Wouldn't that be a kick in the pooper after the kid was named a captain.

The SVSM thread thread says he and Lenz split time in the Wadsworth game.

Last edited:
It looks like Richardson played against Wadsworth going 1/3 for -2 yards with 16 yards rushing. He alternated series with Lenz the starter from last year.

Beacon's top 5:
1. Hoban
2. Stow
3. Walsh
4. Buchtel
5. Hudson

Next five: St. Vincent-St. Mary, Green, Highland, Twinsburg, Nordonia
Others to watch: Barberton, East, Tallmadge, Woodridge, Copley