Summer Baseball Tournament Hosts / Organizations

thePITman

Below is a list of the baseball tournament hosts/organizations that I know of in Ohio. I posted this list last year, and people seemed to like having all these in one place.

Please let me know if I am missing any organizations, or if my descriptions can be updated. Admittedly I do not have experience with most of these organizations, so let me know if you have any thoughts on them. Thanks!

Organization: 965 Midwest Challenge
Info: Very well-run tournaments on very nice fields across Northeast Ohio. Competitive tournaments that attract good travel organizations. Scouted by ProspectWire.

Organization: Cincy Flames
Info: Very well-run tournaments on turf fields in the Cincinnati area. Highly competitive tournaments that attract top travel organizations from several states. Scouted by Prep Baseball Report.

Organization: Team Sports Tournaments
Info: Well-run tournaments on high school fields in the Canton/Akron/Massillon area. Attracts a combination of community and mid-level travel teams. Scouted by One Nation Baseball Scouting Service.

Organization: Ohio Baseball Tournaments
Info: Hosts tournaments on high school fields in the Akron/Canton area. Attracts a combination of community and mid-level travel teams. Partnered with 965 Midwest Challenge before last year, who now runs the tournaments.

Organization: All-American Tournaments
Info: Hosts tournaments on a variety of fields across central/western Ohio. Attracts a combination of community and mid-level travel teams.

Organization: CABA World Series
Info: Host to one of the best events in Ohio, the CABA High School World Series, which is played across some of the best fields in Northeast Ohio. Highly competitive tournament that attracts top travel organizations. Scouted heavily by college coaches.
* No personal experience with this host; open to feedback/more info

Organization: Buckeye Elite
Info: One of the biggest events in Ohio, played on very nice fields in the Columbus area. Highly competitive tournament that attracts top travel organizations. Scouted heavily by Prep Baseball Report.

Organization: Worthington Wood Bat Tournament
Info: The largest wood bat tournament in the Midwest, played on very nice fields in the Columbus area. Highly competitive tournament that attracts top travel organizations. Scouted heavily by Prep Baseball Report.

Organization: FallBaseball.net
Info: Hosts smaller (albeit well-run) tournaments in northern Ohio, typically for the middle age groups (15U-ish). Attracts mostly community teams with some travel organizations.

Organization: 726 Sports
Info: Well-run tournaments on very nice fields in Columbus and Western PA. Competitive tournaments that attract good travel organizations. Scouted by Crossroads Baseball Series.

Organization: Midwest Recruiting
Info: Hosts round robin tournaments on college campuses in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. I am not familiar with the caliber of teams that enter, but they tout a heavy college coaching presence at their events.

Organization: Passtime Tournaments
Info: Hosts tournaments on turf fields in the Cincinnati/Dayton area (as well as Kent). I am not familiar with the caliber of teams that enter, but the website appears organized and reputable.

Organization: Kings Sports
Info: Hosts tournaments on nice (turf?) fields in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. I am not familiar with the caliber of teams that enter, but the website appears organized and reputable.

Organization: Best of Ohio Tournaments
Info: Hosts tournaments on nice fields in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. I am not familiar with the caliber of teams that enter, but the tournaments are managed with Tourney Machine, so it appears to be reputable.

Organization: Action Sports Center
Info: Hosts tournaments at the Action Sports Center (turf) in Dayton. I am not familiar with the caliber of teams that enter, and the tourney selection seems limited.

Organization: 17baseball
Info: Hosts tournaments in several states. Its Ohio tournaments are located at Sports Force Park, the turf complex at Cedar Point. Attracts mid-level travel organizations from Ohio and Michigan.

Organization: Crossroads Baseball Series
Info: Scouting organization that hosts its own tournaments at nice fields in several states, as well as partners with other hosts (such as 726 Sports) to provide scouting coverage. I am assuming it attracts mid-to-high level travel organizations. Scouted by Crossroads Baseball Series.

Organization: Prep Baseball Report
Info: Scouting organization that hosts its own tournaments at nice fields in several states, as well as partners with other hosts to provide coverage for their tournaments. Highly competitive tournament that attracts top travel organizations. Scouted heavily by college coaches and PBR staff.

Organization: Greater Midwest Baseball
Info: I do not know much about this organization (limited info on website). They host tournaments in several states across the Midwest, including 2 locations in the Dayton area.

Organization: Beast of the East
Info: Hosts a large event across many fields in the eastern Ohio and western PA/WV. Scouted by Paramount Scouting.

Last edited:

I enjoy the Worthington Wood Bat Tournament.

As far as promoting tournaments as being heavily scouted I scoff at those ideas. When I read up on many of these claims on the tournaments web sites they talk how they disseminate the states to XXXX college and pro scouts.

BFD.

One subject that no one likes to ever post when promoting their tournaments is......THE COST.

We've found the same to be true about the "scouting" - some tournaments are "meh" while others actually do something. A few that I mentioned as "heavily" scouted I've heard of first-hand experiences, or they actually have a showcase the day before the tournament begins, or an all-tournament team that gets invited to a showcase later that summer. Another example: the CABA HS World Series last year had half a dozen players receive offers on-the-spot after a game. Whereas some 965 tournaments might have one guy taking videos on his phone of select players and tweeting maybe five 10-second clips per game (most of the same player). And some games are not covered at all. So I agree it's good for coaches to do their due diligence as they look into those claims.

We've found the same to be true about the "scouting" - some tournaments are "meh" while others actually do something. A few that I mentioned as "heavily" scouted I've heard of first-hand experiences, or they actually have a showcase the day before the tournament begins, or an all-tournament team that gets invited to a showcase later that summer. Another example: the CABA HS World Series last year had half a dozen players receive offers on-the-spot after a game. Whereas some 965 tournaments might have one guy taking videos on his phone of select players and tweeting maybe five 10-second clips per game (most of the same player). And some games are not covered at all. So I agree it's good for coaches to do their due diligence as they look into those claims.
Those kids getting on the spot offers at that game were already long determined and nothing to do with that tourney.

Knee a dad who asked the field 'scout' what a certain kid was throwing that came into the game in the 4th. He was told they only gun the starting pitcher's on the first inning.

A lot of people are making bank on the empty promises that so many parents are falling for.

Those kids getting on the spot offers at that game were already long determined and nothing to do with that tourney.

Knee a dad who asked the field 'scout' what a certain kid was throwing that came into the game in the 4th. He was told they only gun the starting pitcher's on the first inning.

A lot of people are making bank on the empty promises that so many parents are falling for.
I think the point being made by receiving on-the-spot offers is highlighting that the coaches are actually at the games, not just having an intern filming short video clips and tweeting them out hoping it sticks somewhere. We don't specifically target the "scouted" tournaments because they're scouted, but rather because, for the most part, they tend to attract the better teams. But like you said, they are also more expensive. LoL

I think you are missing Prep Baseball Report. I know they hosted a bunch all over the state but also cover some of the other organizations.

I think the point being made by receiving on-the-spot offers is highlighting that the coaches are actually at the games, not just having an intern filming short video clips and tweeting them out hoping it sticks somewhere. We don't specifically target the "scouted" tournaments because they're scouted, but rather because, for the most part, they tend to attract the better teams. But like you said, they are also more expensive. LoL
My name is Matt Kimmick and I am one of the owners for 965 Midwest Challenge Tournaments. We do have video highlights for players that get put on social media. We do this for colleges that might not be able to come to the games. We also had a player selected to play at the All American Games at Vanderbilt for Prospect Wire. Last year we had about 30 colleges come to different tournaments that we have had. A couple schools that come to mind are Ohio State, Xavier, Baldwin Wallace, Hiram, Walsh, Seton Hill and Mount Vernon Nazerene. I have been doing this for a long time, players don't just get offered on the spot. Colleges follow players for a while and yes they might have been offered after that game but that wasn't the first time they saw the player. You are right, everyone needs to do their due diligence. Let's make sure facts are stated on these forums if you are going to talk about organizations that you are not part of.

Oh believe me, @OHBNCleveland , I really enjoy the 965 tournaments. I have had very positive experiences and will continue to use them. I even called them out as having "very well run" tournaments. As for the ProspectWire coverage, I wanted to be fair and share my personal experience but also want to note that (1) that was a rare occurrence, and (2) 965 does a good job of being transparent up front in tourney descriptions that not every game is scouted, compared to other organizations that are not quite so honest.

As for the on-the-spot offers from this past year at CABA, that was info told to me by the tournament director himself over the phone when I had questions about the tournament. And as several have pointed out (and I agree with), this aren't the first time they've seen those boys. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Oh believe me, @OHBNCleveland , I really enjoy the 965 tournaments. I have had very positive experiences and will continue to use them. I even called them out as having "very well run" tournaments. As for the ProspectWire coverage, I wanted to be fair and share my personal experience but also want to note that (1) that was a rare occurrence, and (2) 965 does a good job of being transparent up front in tourney descriptions that not every game is scouted, compared to other organizations that are not quite so honest.

As for the on-the-spot offers from this past year at CABA, that was info told to me by the tournament director himself over the phone when I had questions about the tournament. And as several have pointed out (and I agree with), this aren't the first time they've seen those boys. Sorry for the confusion. :)
I appreciate the kind words, I just wanted to make sure all the information is accurate on the tournaments we run. You are correct, we are not going to over sell something we can't. I just wanted to clear up that we do have colleges attend the tournaments and not just have Prospect Wire doing videos.

I would have to disagree about the Worthington wood bat tournament. We played all our games in Baltimore Ohio. We were rained out of a game and not allowed the opportunity to play a makeup game even though the weather cleared up later in the day. Played a total of 8 innings the entire tournament but we played “2 games”. 4 inning run rule and 4 inning rainout.