State Tournament

hockeepoor

with the brackets now posted, it looks like the lower bracket in the Columbus district is going similar to the SWOHSL league tournament......Moeller, Talawanda, St X all in the same bracket

I'd say Dublin Jerome or Dublin Coffman will come out of the top half of the Columbus district bracket. I presume Cincinnati Moeller will come out of the bottom half.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ih/boys/results/2008/ColumbusBrkt08.pdf

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but I'm guessing University School is the team to beat in the Kent district. Hopefully, the Columbus district winner will put up a good fight in the state semis like Upper Arlington did last year.

The other Cleveland area district has Seeds #1 St. Ignatius, #2 Padua and #3 St. Edward. It will be interesting as Padua beat St. Ignatius 5-2 last Saturday in the Baron Cup semi-final and St. Eds beat Padua 6-0 in the final (St. Eds also beat U.S. 3-0 in the other semi-final).

yeah right moeller won't come out of the bottom bracket, talawanda will. they beat moeller 3 times in the last month and 2 times in the past week

As is often the case, it looks like the Brooklyn District will be the most competitive. I just hope St. Edward can survive and have something left in the tank for the Frozen Four.

As is often the case, it looks like the Brooklyn District will be the most competitive. I just hope St. Edward can survive and have something left in the tank for the Frozen Four.

I agree EF, assuming we move to the districts we should play Padua in the semi's we are 2-2 against them (L 4-2, W 8-1, L 2-1, W 6-0) if we get by Padua then we would probably see Ignatius in the finals and we are 0-2 against them this year (L 3-2 in OT, L 3-0). As we know Ignatius lost to Padua last week 5-2 in the Baron Cup semi-final and we beat Padua the next day 6-0. This makes for an interesting district.

strongsville upset

Lose to Benedictine 3-2, what a joke. Last year they beat St. Edward and this year lose to Bene. Thats gotta suck, but worse makes it easier for Padua. They'll be fresher for the Eagles now.

Lose to Benedictine 3-2, what a joke. Last year they beat St. Edward and this year lose to Bene. Thats gotta suck, but worse makes it easier for Padua. They'll be fresher for the Eagles now.

Hockey is just not a sport for a one and done type tourney. Benny has very little offense but a solid goal so they can upset a good team or two along the way in the tourney, remember they beat BG at the begining of the season while be out shot by some ridiculous amount. Padua will probably out shoot the Bengals by 30 or so but if the goalie Marshall stays hot you never know.

Round 2 matchups
St. Charles v. Dublin Jerome

Dublin Coffman v. Cincinnati Sycamore

Cincinnati Moeller v. Kettering Alter

Talawanda v St.X

What are the thoughts and opinions on the second round matchups.

Benny isn't a bad team, they just underachieved a lot this year. I was frustrated with the way this team played all season, but I'm proud of the way they've turned it on down the stretch. They've already pulled one upset and it would be great to see them get another big one. Either way, don't expect them to roll over for Padua.

What a day for upsets......

Talawanda 1 - St Xavier 2

Moeller 3 - Alter 5 (Empty net)

St. Charles 3 - Jerome 2 (OT)

Sycamore 6 - Coffman 2

Its been said before..... nothing matters until that (1) playoff game.

Not to nit-pick but the Sycamore score was actually 7-2 on a breakaway. Good job and good luck to all of the teams remaining.

Who won the alter/st.x game?

And just to update the state looks like this right now-

1.Sycamore 4, St. Charles 2
2.Aler/St.x

3.University School/Mentor
4.Mentor Lake Catholic/Gates Mills Gilmour Academy

5.Lakewood St. Eds/Padua
6.North Olmsted/St. Ignatius

7.Toledo St. Francis 9, Perrysburg 0
8.Sylvania Northview 4, Toledo St. Johns 1

Brooklyn District semi-final:

St. Edward 7
Padua 3

St. Edward will play St. Ignatius (barring a North Omsted miracle tonight) for the title Saturday at 6PM.

St. Edward in 18-6 over the last 8 years vs. the Frozen Tornado, however Ignatius has won 3-2 and 3-0 this season.

What a day for upsets......

Talawanda 1 - St Xavier 2

Moeller 3 - Alter 5 (Empty net)

St. Charles 3 - Jerome 2 (OT)

Sycamore 6 - Coffman 2

Its been said before..... nothing matters until that (1) playoff game.
That is just crazy. Sycamore over Coffman wasn't really a big upset at all, but I dropped my jaw at those other three scores.

State Semi-Finals set

Saturday, March 8
Toledo St Francis vs Lakewood St. Ed at 1 pm
Cincinnati St Xavier vs Gilmour at 4 pm

Finals Sunday, March 9 at 6:30pm