State budget includes law requiring cash sales

I am in favor of using cash to attend extracurricular school events, but the legislature stepped way over the line in this. As a taxpayer I want my state legislature to lead the change on how schools receive tax dollars' and funded (as they were directed bu tax paying voters and the Ohio Supreme court). As a taxpayer I want my legislature to work on redrawing districts the way the Ohio voters massively spoke to be drawn. I dont want my tax dollars used to tell a extra-curricular on how to collect payment. That is/was a waste of time and dollars
Disagree. The government is protecting your right to use legal forms of payment (and not pay fees) at a government, tax-payer funded location. Let's not act like this is some in-depth process that took months and years to come up with. You could've written this law in 5 minutes and it makes life better for the customer. Are we against that?

Disagree. The government is protecting your right to use legal forms of payment (and not pay fees) at a government, tax-payer funded location. Let's not act like this is some in-depth process that took months and years to come up with. You could've written this law in 5 minutes and it makes life better for the customer. Are we against that?
Using a credit/debit card is a legal method of payment, so no they are not protecting ay right since other payment was available. I will say this again, I agree with using cash, I use both so I understand the pain of using online. My issue is the government does not have the right to tell the school how to accept payment. Now you say the school is public ad they have the right. This law also is for private schools as well. But neither here nor there, it is still out of bounds for the government to get involved in this. Not wasted time because it only took 5 minutes to draw up? You and I both know the government can't do anything that quick, but I don't care if it only took 1 minute, it was a waste of tax dollars bringing it to the floor in this bill. This is totally an overreach

In general I would agree however the credit card fees being charged directly to the consumer when limiting other legal options of payment is worthy of legislative action IMO. If the schools weren't charging fees and you were only having to pay the price of the ticket, it would be one thing but to force customers to pay the fees because you won't accept a legal form of payment is an issue.
The fees are charged to the school and passed on to the consumer. The difference is that the schools are honest about letting you know what they are. Everywhere else those fees are just loaded into the price of the goods sold (ie - the markup).

That said, I understand why folks don't like paying extra for a ticket. But that's a decision by each individual school to cover the cost of the digital tickets. Either they cover the cost (and make less money), increase the price of the tickets to pay the access fee, or pass to the ticket buyer. Whichever way the school decides, that conversation can be had directly with the administration/principal/AD rather than an edict coming from Columbus.

. “And they walked away and they didn't watch their grandson play football that night and that simply is wrong.”

Using her story (albeit assuredly fiction),
I saw this with my own eyes at a middle school football game last year, but it was a middle school kid with a crumpled fiver being turned away. Rest of the line started lighting their torches and they waved them in. But it’s absurd it happened at all.

Ok, you are worried about a fee for online tickets? Now schools will charge $8 for the online pre-purchased ticket and $10 for cash sales at the gate.

I saw this with my own eyes at a middle school football game last year, but it was a middle school kid with a crumpled fiver being turned away. Rest of the line started lighting their torches and they waved them in. But it’s absurd it happened at all.
And this should have been taken up with the athletic director and his school board

This is surprising, and good news for the most vulnerable Ohioans, the children and the elderly.

How quickly some people are willing to give up others freedom ( and their own) for convenience.
Let's just leave out the poor, the kids who's parents wisely don't believe they need a smartphone at 12, those who don't believe in this technology (Amish), The elderly, people who know the end goal and believe in freedom... there is a very good reason for cash and reason it says "good for all debts public and private."

Interesting point in a WCPO article on this topic, the law doesn’t go into effect until October 2023. So schools could still be cashless in august/September, though I’d imagine for ease of process they’d make the change.

With the phrase printed on U.S. currency? It is not.

Thanks for confirming the fee is debt.
I can now trade cows for a new roof and leave the IRS out of it?
Electronic currency was not thought out , but it does without doubt suppress the individual rights of those who do not have the means to participate, I'm surprised people are so selfish.

Reactions: y2h
Stop being stupid. That is the exact intended meaning.
With the phrase printed on U.S. currency? It is not.

@Sykotyk can you talk to @Yappi and see if we can get your McDonalds vs Outback analogy posted at the top of each new page on this thread? Conversation seems to keep circling back to same spot. 🤣

Thanks for confirming the fee is debt.
I can now trade cows for a new roof and leave the IRS out of it?
Electronic currency was not thought out , but it does without doubt suppress the individual rights of those who do not have the means to participate, I'm surprised people are so selfish.
I don't think you read that page the same as I did.

As far as suppressing "individual rights" - you do realize we're still talking about paying for high school sports tickets, right? No one is denying food of clothing or heat in the winter because they can't pay with an iPhone.

After all this, I guess I have to give Senator O'Brien an "atta girl". In her first term she's become a savy politician who was able to turn a last minute rider on the budget bill for a pet project into a heart tugging game of grandparents vs big bad technology instead of the government overstepping that it actually is.

<steps off soapbox>

I don't think you read that page the same as I did.

As far as suppressing "individual rights" - you do realize we're still talking about paying for high school sports tickets, right? No one is denying food of clothing or heat in the winter because they can't pay with an iPhone.

After all this, I guess I have to give Senator O'Brien an "atta girl". In her first term she's become a savy politician who was able to turn a last minute rider on the budget bill for a pet project into a heart tugging game of grandparents vs big bad technology instead of the government overstepping that it actually is.

<steps off soapbox>
I know it's not a big deal to most but to some individuals it is very important...
The kid who wants to be with his friends but pretends he don't want to go because his parents can't afford a phone...the grandparents on a fixed budget wanting to see their grandson play but don't don't understand and can't afford the phone....

I know it's not a big deal to most but to some individuals it is very important...
The kid who wants to be with his friends but pretends he don't want to go because his parents can't afford a phone...the grandparents on a fixed budget wanting to see their grandson play but don't don't understand and can't afford the phone....
Believe it or not there are people out there who don't use credit cards at all because they don't believe in debt

Like Micheal Jordan said: Republicans buy shoes to.

His point don't make anyone upset with you who might put another dollar in your pocket. Its as simple as that.

A smart HS Program will accept both Plastic or Paper.

Maximizes Profits.

His point don't make anyone upset with you who might put another dollar in your pocket. Its as simple as that.

A smart HS Program will accept both Plastic or Paper.

Maximizes Profits.
Schools determined that by cutting out the expenses associated with taking cash, they maximized their profits.

I don't disagree, but at the same time it's unknown how much of the scope behind "less attendance" is a matter of taking plastic-or-paper and not other factors like streaming, the movement of people across communities (less ties) and if there are any other factors that result in the recreational activity of "watching high school football" on the decline.

I get that some people are "old school" and like cash.

BUT my 82 year old grandma has venmo , my dad whom NEVER owned a cell phone until he retired 6 years ago Has paypal and venmo....

its 2023.... cashless payments are OK people and much easier

I don't disagree, but at the same time it's unknown how much of the scope behind "less attendance" is a matter of taking plastic-or-paper and not other factors like streaming, the movement of people across communities (less ties) and if there are any other factors that result in the recreational activity of "watching high school football" on the decline.
and thats exactly why you don't cut off any potential venue stream.

Schools determined that by cutting out the expenses associated with taking cash, they maximized their profits.
I’d like to know if any schools did a deep dive to know how much profit they lost by alienating people. I doubt it. I’m guessing it was more of a ‘Yep, sounds easier for me’ discussion.

I'd need to see a example of that in writing on a spread sheet.

it proved to be a effective way a limiting the oh we're all going to die if we handle someones money during and after covid and also a way to control attendance .

Believe or not there are people out there who use credit cards and aren’t in credit card debt.
Americans owe nearly $1 trillion in credit card debt—here's the breakdown by age. Americans now hold a record amount of credit card debt — nearly $988 billion, according to the Federal Reserve Bank's latest data.

This as of June 23rd 2023