State budget includes law requiring cash sales

Now we know where the law came from

O'Brien should have just made a law that people over 60 get in free to school events.....not initiated legislature over reach by mandating schools take cash from everyone...the craziest thing about all of it is other senators voted for it....

Guess it depends on your interpretation of the note on your money that says "This note is legal tender for all debts - public and private".

When you buy a tciket, do you then have a debt to pay? Probably not, but could be argued.

Reactions: y2h
O'Brien should have just made a law that people over 60 get in free to school events.....not initiated legislature over reach by mandating schools take cash from everyone...the craziest thing about all of it is other senators voted for it....
By putting it into the budget, I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority of senators/representatives weren’t even aware it was there.

Now we know where the law came from

Google doesn't churn out a specific "Cash is King" bill, but she is (was) a cosponsor of Senate Bill 38 -- which was "To enact section 1333.97 of the Revised Code to require retail merchants to give customers the option to pay by cash." That bill was introduced in January, but didn't proceed any further past an introduction.

Several of that bill's sponsors are also on the Senate Education Committee. SB 1 (more broadly known as the education bill that basically cemented the significant changes regarding education statewide that was in budget that DeWine signed) as far as I can tell by reading the 'analysis' tabs of each time there were hearings on it, doesn't have the clause that would become the to-be-codified 3313.5319 (the subject of this topic) and none of the other eleven legislative items on the Senate Education Committee appear to be remotely-related to this topic. This specific subject, 3313.5319, is coded as being Education (both the specific chapter of the ORC and the coding for this item "EDUCD139" on the comparison worksheet b/w HB 33 and the Senate's version.)

It could be that this was an eleventh hour entry.

Interesting enough, here is an interesting clause -- (D)(5) of that SB (SB38) that is still in purgatory.

1688928590127.png

Guess it depends on your interpretation of the note on your money that says "This note is legal tender for all debts - public and private".

When you buy a tciket, do you then have a debt to pay? Probably not, but could be argued.
I explained this in another post. A debt is after the transfer of goods or services. A purchase is before.

Mcdonald's is a purchase. Texas Roadhouse would be a debt.

If mcdonald's refuses cash you don't owe them anything but you don't get anything. If Texas Roadhouse refuses your cash then you get your meal free.

No way this should have happened. EXTREME over reach by the legislature. Are they going to require all state schools to accept cash like Ohio State, Cincinnati, the MAC schools? No, they are just picking on the high schools. My guess is some wimpy elected official got their feelings hurt when they tried to attend a game and could not pay in cash... Find a list of those that voted for it, and vote them out of office...

Comparing Ohio State to a high school is ridiculous. Ohio State sells season ticket packages ( at a value of nearly $1000), no walk up tickets. Nobody on a whim says "hey let's go the the Buckeye game today."

Comparing Ohio State to a high school is ridiculous. Ohio State sells season ticket packages ( at a value of nearly $1000), no walk up tickets. Nobody on a whim says "hey let's go the the Buckeye game today."
Agree comparing a $50M sports franchise affiliate with a school to a high school is ridiculous. But not near as ridiculous the state government getting involved in high school sports ticket sales procedures.

A retired teacher, O'Brien has shifted into the "this kinda happened so I'm going to make it a fact" speaking rather well -> “I have watched grandparents go to a football game and take out their wallets to give cash and they say we don't accept cash,” O’Brien said. “And they walked away and they didn't watch their grandson play football that night and that simply is wrong.”

Using her story (albeit assuredly fiction), which would we consider to be the bigger failure? That the school would not let senior citizens pay cash for their tickets OR that she's using an indifferent family (If the parents didn't tell the grandparents about the ticket policy then there's a LOT more wrong than what going on at the ticket booth) to justify enacting a new law?

This should probably be moved to the debate forum because the issue here isn't cash vs credit. It's about government overreach.

A retired teacher, O'Brien has shifted into the "this kinda happened so I'm going to make it a fact" speaking rather well -> “I have watched grandparents go to a football game and take out their wallets to give cash and they say we don't accept cash,” O’Brien said. “And they walked away and they didn't watch their grandson play football that night and that simply is wrong.”

Using her story (albeit assuredly fiction), which would we consider to be the bigger failure? That the school would not let senior citizens pay cash for their tickets OR that she's using an indifferent family (If the parents didn't tell the grandparents about the ticket policy then there's a LOT more wrong than what going on at the ticket booth) to justify enacting a new law?
The bolded part is 100% true.

And what did she do to help the situation? Did she help these grandparents or did she use it as justification to expand the reach of government?

Agree comparing a $50M sports franchise affiliate with a school to a high school is ridiculous. But not near as ridiculous the state government getting involved in high school sports ticket sales procedures.

This should probably be moved to the debate forum because the issue here isn't cash vs credit. It's about government overreach.
$50M? Hah, Ohio State football generates about $120M.

Requiring cash sales for tickets is the same as requiring schools to provide hitching posts for fans who arrive at the game on horseback.

Yeah, it's exactly like that.

Don't they take cash at every high school concession stand?

The bolded part is 100% true.

And what did she do to help the situation? Did she help these grandparents or did she use it as justification to expand the reach of government?
You could add your own school to that list. My school and many others around us will let everyone know if tickets are online only and will bend over backwards to let people know that.

No way this should have happened. EXTREME over reach by the legislature. Are they going to require all state schools to accept cash like Ohio State, Cincinnati, the MAC schools? No, they are just picking on the high schools. My guess is some wimpy elected official got their feelings hurt when they tried to attend a game and could not pay in cash... Find a list of those that voted for it, and vote them out of office...
I say job well done and next year expand it (cash for tix) to playoff games and to Ohio college teams.

No, it is not public schools take state money (taxpayers' money) and I know you elitist think you know best but for once the state leg. is sticking up for the common man/ woman.

Reminds me of the arrogant Lady owner of a local Ice cream shop in a small town east of Columbus. Her business was a stand alone by the only very successful grocery store in town. Has a D2 High School in Town and a D3 College, Town is considered pretty wealthy overall. Also right on a major biking path .
She makes a policy of only accepting credit cards . I witnessed many many kids , adults and college students, Bike riders walk in there during the summer and turn around and walk out. She owned it about 3 Summers when i retired last summer in May and quit calling on the grocery store the Ice Cream shop was closed for good. Hmmmmmm Never when your in business to make money and be successful purposely make rules or stipulations that cost you sales any idiot understands that.
How many kids at a game under 13 are turned away at the concession stands because they aren't carrying a credit card.? Kids go to games in groups and not always with parents in tow. Just absurd to say paperless is the best and only way to go. Heck in some country communities WiFi and Internet service comes and goes.
Was at a outdoor concert in Mt. Gilead a few miles from their football stadium at one point with cloudy over cast skies none of the Beer stands, Merchandise tents or food trucks could get their credit card scanners to function. Funny watching a bunch of vendors holding their scanner up to the sky hoping they would start working. One of the locals said happens all the time around here.

Funny how Cash is King suddenly rings 100% true.......

Not in this situation it is not.....it is state funded education...what prompted this was some butt hurt when someone was required to pay by credit/debit..... When the legislature over reaches where do you draw the line on state funded overtures? She was obviously butt hurt over a high school game, but in reality it is no different than going to a Kent State game..but she decided to pick on high school activities...if she wants to make it fair, then say ALL state funded activities.....she needs to go

Would you be okay with the state demanding that you pay only in dimes and nickels?
Don't understand your analogy. The legislation gives me more choices and you compare it to giving me fewer choices.

Better analogy would be that schools demanded I pay in nickels and dimes, and that I had to pay an extra 30 nickels or 15 dimes for the convenience. Now the law allows me to pay with 6 dollars like the pre-COVID days.

Last edited:
I think it was Akron public schools that still had their tickets at $6 and did not charge a convenience fee. I can appreciate that. Eat the extra cost if you want to use online ticketing for cost savings.
A school in my conference did that when it went to digital ticketing a few years ago.

Is it just the bigger conferences in Cincy ... GCL, GMC, ECC where cost of games is 8 bucks? Everyone keeps mentioning 5-6 bucks, I haven't paid that for a high school game in Ohio in over a decade.

No, it is not public schools take state money (taxpayers' money) and I know you elitist think you know best but for once the state leg. is sticking up for the common man/ woman.
1. I'll go back to an earlier page - high school sports aren't for those of us that float around and watch great games. They're for the kids & their families. If the families have an issue with the ticking process at a school, they can walk in and bring that smoke right to the AD's desk.
2. This is why I love coming on this site. My man just called my deer hunting, moonshine drinking, public skool graduated rear end "elitist". 🤣

Reminds me of the arrogant Lady owner of a local Ice cream shop in a small town east of Columbus. Her business was a stand alone by the only very successful grocery store in town. Has a D2 High School in Town and a D3 College, Town is considered pretty wealthy overall. Also right on a major biking path .
She makes a policy of only accepting credit cards . I witnessed many many kids , adults and college students, Bike riders walk in there during the summer and turn around and walk out. She owned it about 3 Summers when i retired last summer in May and quit calling on the grocery store the Ice Cream shop was closed for good. Hmmmmmm Never when your in business to make money and be successful purposely make rules or stipulations that cost you sales any idiot understands that.
How many kids at a game under 13 are turned away at the concession stands because they aren't carrying a credit card.? Kids go to games in groups and not always with parents in tow. Just absurd to say paperless is the best and only way to go. Heck in some country communities WiFi and Internet service comes and goes.
Was at a outdoor concert in Mt. Gilead a few miles from their football stadium at one point with cloudy over cast skies none of the Beer stands, Merchandise tents or food trucks could get their credit card scanners to function. Funny watching a bunch of vendors holding their scanner up to the sky hoping they would start working. One of the locals said happens all the time around here.

Funny how Cash is King suddenly rings 100% true.......
I don't think anyone actually said "paperless is the best and only way to go." That is a decision each school has to make for themselves.

And the ice cream lady story reminds me of the folks that, during COVID, said this was a sign we needed to shift to a cashless society. Sounded kinda crazy then, sounds even more ludicrous now.

I completely agree that "cash is king", but I also firmly believe that the state legislature should have NOTHING to do with determining how tickets to a high school football, volleyball, or track meet are sold.

How much money do public schools receive from the state (taxpayers). As a taxpayer and a season ticket holder who also travels to road games and who does not like using my cc to buy H.S. tix with, I am all for this legislation, good job legislature.
I am in favor of using cash to attend extracurricular school events, but the legislature stepped way over the line in this. As a taxpayer I want my state legislature to lead the change on how schools receive tax dollars' and funded (as they were directed bu tax paying voters and the Ohio Supreme court). As a taxpayer I want my legislature to work on redrawing districts the way the Ohio voters massively spoke to be drawn. I dont want my tax dollars used to tell a extra-curricular on how to collect payment. That is/was a waste of time and dollars

Toledo University does, Ohio University, Miami University does so on and so forth. Take Ohio State out of the equation.

Don't understand your analogy. The legislation gives me more choices and you compare it to giving me fewer choices.

Better analogy would be that schools demanded I pay in nickels and dimes, and that I had to pay an extra 30 nickels or 15 dimes for the convenience. Now the law allows me to pay with 6 dollars like the pre-COVID days.
What if the government said you had to pay in nickels and dimes. not the schools? Maybe a little overreach by the government?

I don't think anyone actually said "paperless is the best and only way to go." That is a decision each school has to make for themselves.

And the ice cream lady story reminds me of the folks that, during COVID, said this was a sign we needed to shift to a cashless society. Sounded kinda crazy then, sounds even more ludicrous now.

I completely agree that "cash is king", but I also firmly believe that the state legislature should have NOTHING to do with determining how tickets to a high school football, volleyball, or track meet are sold.
In general I would agree however the credit card fees being charged directly to the consumer when limiting other legal options of payment is worthy of legislative action IMO. If the schools weren't charging fees and you were only having to pay the price of the ticket, it would be one thing but to force customers to pay the fees because you won't accept a legal form of payment is an issue.